British Speedway Forum
ch958

Jason Garrity

10 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

I was shocked to recently discover that putting a short stroke piston into a long stroke cylinder actually increases the capacity but is quite a common practice.

How does that work ? If the capacity is the bore x stroke the capacity is always going to be the same for a given piston diameter  surely ? 
is an engine is a short stroke engine the bore( and therefore the piston diameter ) must be bigger. If it is a long stroke engine to cylinder bore will be narrower and a short stroke piston wouldn’t fit. 
Does anybody ride long stroke engines anymore ? I thought they went out with the J.A.Ps in the sixties / early seventies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

I'm sure I stated I didn't condone what he'd done. I was also sure someone would take offence that I felt Garrity would have a fascinating story behind him.

For starters, I always wondered where someone like Garrity had come across his thousands to purchase his speedway gear at a young age.

It would also be worth seeing, how many that are criticising Garrity actually bought a book about Kenny Carter, who did far worse.  

He probably stole it.Did he not steal some of Joe Screens gear at one time.(could be wrong but thought I read it somewhere).

Slightly off topic but what are the odds on this thread beating the mammoth epic we once had for Darcy Ward?

56 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I've known of riders suddenly straining their backs getting their bike out of their van when it was known the tester was around. Also engine tests being carried out after the meeting and a 'suspect' doesn't have a good night. :o  All random of course.

One night a well known rider rode very average at Brough, and whilst having his engine checked over by the late Will Hunter, technical expert and ex ref, the rider just smirked as if he knew he wouldn't be caught. Who says some riders are not told, and it was not random I can assure you. Our home rider, knew that and why it was happening, was livid as his tuned engine was tampered with on the inspection and as he said, "It's all very well trying to catch him, but now I have to have a full retune and all I get it is a standard £400 fee".

Don’t these inspections have to be carried out at ACU Headquarters or somewhere designated by the ACU now ? I remember about 10/12 years ago at a televised meeting at Poole a visiting rider ( I think he was from Peterborough, but not certain) , was accused of having an over size carburettor but instead of testing in the pits the carb had to be sent to the ACU for checking. I seem to remember no fault was found.

21 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Don’t these inspections have to be carried out at ACU Headquarters or somewhere designated by the ACU now ? I remember about 10/12 years ago at a televised meeting at Poole a visiting rider ( I think he was from Peterborough, but not certain) , was accused of having an over size carburettor but instead of testing in the pits the carb had to be sent to the ACU for checking. I seem to remember no fault was found.

Seem to remember a rider rightly complaining that he had to do without his best engines for several meetings while Jim McMillan the SCB technical guru inspected it at SCB HQ in Rugby.

Of course the real travesty was back in the 70s when Barry Thomas of hackney won the U21 title and was accused of having an oversized engine which was taken away for examination.
I don't think he ever received an apology for the way he was treated and his reputation tarnished.

51 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

How does that work ? If the capacity is the bore x stroke the capacity is always going to be the same for a given piston diameter  surely ? 
is an engine is a short stroke engine the bore( and therefore the piston diameter ) must be bigger. If it is a long stroke engine to cylinder bore will be narrower and a short stroke piston wouldn’t fit. 
Does anybody ride long stroke engines anymore ? I thought they went out with the J.A.Ps in the sixties / early seventies. 

I'm not aware of the technicalities but I think I read it in one of the posts in this Forum regarding allegations of an engine that was used in a Polish meeting a few years ago with, sadly, fatal consequences.
I believe both Jawa(JRM?) and GM still manufacture both short and long stroke engines so both must be used.

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

I can remember that incident at Poole ,think McMillan checked the outlet of the carb and said it was oversize .Dont think he was allowed to use it.Can’t remember the final outcome though.

Edited by Fromafar

15 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I think you are right about the engine going away to be tested as I have heard of riders complaining about the waiting for them to be returned.  Certainly I saw them being removed from the frame. Testing carbs can be carried out in the frame and machine examiners are issued with an appropriate circular gauge for testing.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

The SCB used to issue referees with a crude homemade t-shaped device which was the same as the diameter of the carb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Exactly. The stroke is determined by the offset of the crankshaft so the only way to increase capacity would be to use the bottom end of a long stroke engine with a barrel & piston of a short stroke. I would have thought that the barrel of the short stroke would be a different length though to that of a long stroke? If so it would have to be a bored out long stroke barrel but that would be easy to spot. Maybe they are the same length but use different length con rods?

Long strokes were about in speedway till more recently though.

My lads Jawa 884 laydown engine which he bought 10 or so years ago was long stroke and that had been used in what is now the championship league by its previous owner. Nobody uses them now though. I've got an upright Jawa 898 which is long stroke too. Maybe longer stroke versions of the modern speedway engines are produced for different disciplines. Grass track or long track etc. providing swappable parts? I'm a bit out of touch these days.

Edited by AFCB Wildcat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Multi-drug saliva test kits are available for around £4 each, purchased in bulk much less no doubt; so 14 tests would cost less than £50. Why not test every rider at every meeting? 

What is the reliability of these testing kits?

If they are 100% accurate then it's a great idea and all is good, but I suspect that wouldn't actually be the case...

What level of false positives would be acceptable at a meeting where a rider or multiple riders get prevented from racing due to the failure of the testing kits rather than anything they had done wrong?

Edited by HenryW

Don't in any way condone the use of drugs, recreational or more serious.

I don't think drug use should excuse Garrity though, he carried out a brutal nasty attack on vulnerable pensioners.

That's not excused by drug taking or drug abuse. He is a violent criminal.

We all know or have heard of riders through the decades, right up to the current day who have had issues with recreational drug taking, some have been found guilty of dealing. Many are / were well liked and respected, their drug issues understood and sympathised with, because aside from that they were decent.

Why were they on the scale of "acceptability" - I'd suggest because at heart they were basically honest, young men with an issue, not a brutal thug like Garrity.

A lot of very good people in Speedway have tried to help Garrity, right up to last season, they did all they could to give him a "final chance".

He needs to rot for 7 years and hopefully learn and understand the errors of his ways. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HenryW said:

What is the reliability of these testing kits?

If they are 100% accurate then it's a great idea and all is good, but I suspect that wouldn't actually be the case...

What level of false positives would be acceptable at a meeting where a rider or multiple riders get prevented from racing due to the failure of the testing kits rather than anything they had done wrong?

A reasonable question, which could also be asked of the official random testing and of any other organisation using such kits. I believe the deterrent factor of knowing you will be tested at every single meeting, with all your peers, would be significant. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Speedway would have been failing a duty of safety to allow a competitor to race under the influence.

If Garrity was aware there'd be a random test at a meeting and he didn't show up, that weakness in the testing procedure is speedway's fault, surely?

For full details of the current procedures see Chapter 8 (page 80 onward) of the 2020 Speedway Regulations.

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I can remember that incident at Poole ,think McMillan checked the outlet of the carb and said it was oversize .Dont think he was allowed to use it.Can’t remember the final outcome though.

Believe it came back just inside the tolerances. Remember the hubbub but can’t remember who the rider was.