British Speedway Forum
ch958

Jason Garrity

POULTEC is a really genuine, well run and thoroughly professional organisation. The owner is a former Grasstrack rider who knows all the pitfalls. I would be more than happy to send any son of mine there as a start on the sport. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vince said:

As far as drugs improving performance on a bike there was a grass track rider who suddenly improved his performances with the aid of amphetamines for most of a season. Certainly gave him a much bigger set of balls than he had without it, once people caught on and started suggesting he get tested he stopped riding.

I think one of the reasons so many sports people go off the rails is that they miss out on going a bit wild in their teenage years and try to make up for it when they retire as they are still relatively young. I know two very good pro MX riders who did very well out of the sport in the 80's, probably earning more than their counterparts do now who have nothing left due to taking up drinking and partying with all the dedication they once had for their sport.

Is the first paragraph referring to who I think it is ? 

1 minute ago, Pinny said:

I would think so!

2 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Do tell!

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Speedway is not a reflection of society though is it and that's part of it's problem imo. You can count the number of "BAME" people involved in the sport on one hand, Women? Can anybody name more than 5? Nobody in Speedway is Gay? The crowd is, in the majority, aging and male

But there are people in society who hold up people with knives and demand money. Think that's what he meant.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:41 AM, iainb said:

Speedway is not a reflection of society though is it and that's part of it's problem imo. You can count the number of "BAME" people involved in the sport on one hand, Women? Can anybody name more than 5? Nobody in Speedway is Gay? The crowd is, in the majority, aging and male

That wasn't really the point I was trying to make. I was trying to point out that most of society is good on the whole and there are a few rotten eggs that take a disproportionate amount of the headlines, and that is the same for speedway.

I wasn't trying to make a point about equality in society. However, speedway is one of the few sports where women are able to compete on equal terms with men and I would hope that if gay men or prospective riders from minority ethnic groups were more prevalent, speedway crowds are largely decent people and would welcome them accordingly.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2020 at 10:15 PM, cinderfella said:

I'm not aware of the technicalities but I think I read it in one of the posts in this Forum regarding allegations of an engine that was used in a Polish meeting a few years ago with, sadly, fatal consequences.
I believe both Jawa(JRM?) and GM still manufacture both short and long stroke engines so both must be used.

I think what you mean is - using a long stroke crankshaft , with a short stroke barrel & piston , this would create an oversize engine 

you could do this by mixing parts from a manufacturers short & long stroke engines ,

or if you really wanted to cheat really well , you would get some parts machined / made  to be even more oversize

17 hours ago, djr said:

I think what you mean is - using a long stroke crankshaft , with a short stroke barrel & piston , this would create an oversize engine 

you could do this by mixing parts from a manufacturers short & long stroke engines ,

or if you really wanted to cheat really well , you would get some parts machined / made  to be even more oversize

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick(ish) but wouldn't the long stroke push the piston into the cylinder head. Thought it would be the other way round.

43 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick(ish) but wouldn't the long stroke push the piston into the cylinder head. Thought it would be the other way round.

Could be that a short stroke piston is shorter than a long stroke one.

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

the piston for the short stroke engine may have a lower crown height , or the long stroke crankshaft may have a shorter con rod ,

or you may need to put a spacer under the barrel { although this would be visible, so maybe not a good idea if cheating }

Capacity of an engine can only be increased by either - increasing bore size, increasing stroke of crankshaft , or increasing both of these sizes

If a manufacturer offers long stroke & short stroke versions of the same 500cc engine , then the short stroke engine would need a bigger bore size than the long stroke engine to bring it up to 500cc

Depending on how the engine has been designed, It may be possible to combine the short stroke piston/barrel with the long stroke crankshaft to create an oversize engine with off the shelf parts 

{ although I don't think you would get a massive increase in capacity this way }

2 hours ago, djr said:

the piston for the short stroke engine may have a lower crown height , or the long stroke crankshaft may have a shorter con rod ,

or you may need to put a spacer under the barrel { although this would be visible, so maybe not a good idea if cheating }

Capacity of an engine can only be increased by either - increasing bore size, increasing stroke of crankshaft , or increasing both of these sizes

If a manufacturer offers long stroke & short stroke versions of the same 500cc engine , then the short stroke engine would need a bigger bore size than the long stroke engine to bring it up to 500cc

Depending on how the engine has been designed, It may be possible to combine the short stroke piston/barrel with the long stroke crankshaft to create an oversize engine with off the shelf parts 

{ although I don't think you would get a massive increase in capacity this way }

forget all about long stroke, short stroke and V stroke engines . the best and only way to increase power  from the downward  power stroke of any engine  is to fit what is called a piston return spring . by fitting a return spring on most, if not all fuel powered race engines . a further %25 on the power stroke can be possible . 

forget all your carbs and clutches . this is the ting to go for in modern day race engines .

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Wow, this thread has gone spectacularly off-track when you look back to page one.

I'll bring it back

Jason Garrity is a cu........... 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Wow, this thread has gone spectacularly off-track when you look back to page one.

A lot of threads go this way. Your attention span deteriorates as you age.

• Like 1