British Speedway Forum
ch958

Jason Garrity

19 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The other aspect is they have to be able to take up gainful employment otherwise society will be end-up paying more for them on dole. There's no aspect of the crime being related to speedway, unlike say a convicted child abuser working in a school, so don't really see the issue with working again in speedway. 

Pretty unpleasant and nasty criminal I think we can agree, but hopefully some lessons have been learned and is now a reformed character. As the sentence was over 4 years, I think that's not an automatic halving and requires some sort of good behaviour and approval of the Parole Board for release. And of course will still be out on licence. 

If he is out on licence, ie tagged, he would struggle to find a team that didn't race after 8pm.

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I think his opponents will question whether they will want to be in a race, on a lethal machine, with someone as mentally unstable as he is?

brick laying, plumbing, etc etc etc.....are one thing....but, one of the most dangerous sports in the world is another!?

Just saying.....

Racing against garrity wouldn’t trouble me even knowing what he has done as long as he is drug free however there is another rider who I do think is a worry and certainly makes me think speedway isn’t the ideal occupation for his personality 

• Like 1

Letting someone like that back into a sport would give it a bad name in the media

I guess that is where speedway has an advantage. It doesn't have a good name, nor bad. It is just ignored :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/17/2024 at 12:38 PM, IronScorpion said:

I wonder how many "amateurs" turn out in meetings having taken medicines, smoked or drunk alcohol days before a meeting.

That wasnt what he was in jail for though.  He entered an elderly persons house, assaulted them, put the fear of god into them and stole.  Im all for rehabilitation and acknowledging time served but there are exceptions to this rule for me, and that includes this sort of  behaviour, drug dealing, child abuse

4 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Racing against garrity wouldn’t trouble me even knowing what he has done as long as he is drug free however there is another rider who I do think is a worry and certainly makes me think speedway isn’t the ideal occupation for his personality 

Serious question, who is it that you worry about?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, proud panther said:

Well say nothing then

Yip, I agree

I've said to someone who pulled the old 'I have a reliable source so I am right but I wont tell you my source' sort of thing that if you arent willing to name the source then keep schtum.  Its the same for this situation

It was worth a cheeky attempt at trying to get the name though ;)  I didnt for a minute expect it to succeed though

As an aside though, it concerns me a little that the drugs side of thing is what is being concentrated on rather than what he did to a vulnerable disabled elderly person in their own home.  If you want to get over the narrow minded perception of some of speedway's image, Im not sure granting him his licence back is the way to go about it

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lioness said:

Yip, I agree

I've said to someone who pulled the old 'I have a reliable source so I am right but I wont tell you my source' sort of thing that if you arent willing to name the source then keep schtum.  Its the same for this situation

I didn't see the comment in the light of 'I know something you don't'. I think it's fair for a rider to comment that there's others they'd be more concerned about on track without giving specific names.

As an aside though, it concerns me a little that the drugs side of thing is what is being concentrated on rather than what he did to a vulnerable disabled elderly person in their own home. 

Are these things not linked though?

If you want to get over the narrow minded perception of some of speedway's image, Im not sure granting him his licence back is the way to go about it

As others have said, if it was a convicted felon going back into plumbing or mechanicing, no-one would care less. Speedway is neither important enough nor sufficiently in the public eye that there's any sort of reputational issue involved, and as much scumbag behaviour offends and appalls me, I think once you've done your time you should be able to resume a gainful working career unless the crime was related to your original employment (i.e. child abusers should never be allowed to work with children or vulnerable people).

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I didn't see the comment in the light of 'I know something you don't'. I think it's fair for a rider to comment that there's others they'd be more concerned about on track without giving specific names.

As others have said, if it was a convicted felon going back into plumbing or mechanicing, no-one would care less. Speedway is neither important enough nor sufficiently in the public eye that there's any sort of reputational issue involved, and as much scumbag behaviour offends and appalls me, I think once you've done your time you should be able to resume a gainful working career unless the crime was related to your original employment (i.e. child abusers should never be allowed to work with children or vulnerable people).

Interesting aside: how do you feel about Tony Clarke? His crimes were against speedway, yet he was back in the Wolverhampton team within days of his release.

14 hours ago, Lioness said:

Serious question, who is it that you worry about?

Maybe the one who I once saw having hysterics in the pits, throwing a fire bucket around, and shutting himself in the changing room ... because he had been excluded under two minutes ...

9 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Interesting aside: how do you feel about Tony Clarke? His crimes were against speedway, yet he was back in the Wolverhampton team within days of his release.

Before my time really and don't fully know the details of that particular theft. But whilst I wouldn't equate the gravity of straightforward nicking of bikes with robbing vulnerable people with menaces, I don't think you'd want such people back in the same workplace where there's the opportunity to nick more bikes. I think I previously qualified my views on rehabilitation versus ongoing risk to others involved in the industry.

At the end of the day though - with certain obvious exceptions - I think it needs to be up to individual employers whether they want to employ former criminals. I wouldn't employ someone who'd robbed disabled people unless I was absolutely convinced they were a reformed character, but if you get into blanket bans on former criminals resuming their former (honest) trade for unrelated crimes, where does it stop? And unless you mandate the death penalty for every crime, even former criminals need to make a living otherwise we'll continue to have to pay for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I was of the belief that the Ruskies were happy to sell off tyres and equipment at the end of a tour as dollars / pounds were a benefit to them. Is this a fair reflection that the 'theft' was arse covering when things went a bit muddy?

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

Maybe the one who I once saw having hysterics in the pits, throwing a fire bucket around, and shutting himself in the changing room ... because he had been excluded under two minutes ...

Nothing much to worry about, that applies to dozens of riders that spit their dummy out. 

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I get your points Humphrey

Was he high on drugs when he committed the offence?  Can or should that be taken as an excuse?  Or is he just nasty? WIth regards going into employment I very much feel its a horses for courses situation. You wouldnt put a child abuser in a position within a school, I certainly would not be happy about a plumber with his record going into the home of an elderly person - doesnt mean he cant be a plumber, just that I wouldnt want him in the home of a vulnerable person.

Sport is a slightly different kettle of fish.  There is the aspect of people in sport being seen as 'examples' to their fans and therein lies the crux of the matter for me.  I dont think we should be putting someone with his record back in a situation where he will have 'fans' including the young and the impressionable