British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Team Captains...Those That Perhaps Don't Immediately Spring To Mind?

I guess that the Captain of any particular team over the years was generally regarding as the top man. However I can think of the likes of Rick Timmo of Oxford who was skipper of the side in 1973. Mick Bell was another down the road at Reading and there was Bob Poulson at Sheffield. I'm sure that there are many other examples out there?

I don't really know where the idea of the captain being the No. 1 came from, but obviously, a rider with more knowledge and experience does make sense.

Bob Paulson was the first one that I thought of! Tommy Roper was captain at Hyde Rd, when Mauger and Sjosten were the top two.

I have a feeling that Geoff Mudge was captain of Reading in 1972?

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I have a feeling that Geoff Mudge was captain of Reading in 1972?

I believe he was.

Leo McAuliffe captained the Wimbledon team containing Sverre Harrfeldt and Gote Nordin in 1964.  In the same year Reg Trott was Norwich captain, when the team included Ove Fundin and Olle Nygren, with Jack Geran captain of the Oxford team containing Arne Pander and Ron How.  The year before that Dick Bradley was Southampton captain, with Barry Briggs and Bjorn Knutson in the team.

Just now, BL65 said:

Leo McAuliffe captained the Wimbledon team containing Sverre Harrfeldt and Gote Nordin in 1964.  In the same year Reg Trott was Norwich captain, when the team included Ove Fundin and Olle Nygren, with Jack Geran captain of the Oxford team containing Arne Pander and Ron How.  The year before that Dick Bradley was Southampton captain, with Barry Briggs and Bjorn Knutson in the team.

Some great examples there...I remember Reg Trott being made captain of a young "Eagles" side during the formative years of the British League Divison Two when its role was to produce young British talent. I'm sure that he wasn't the only case during that period? Ross Gilbertson at Canterbury?

Roger Johns was captain at Wimbledon i think

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevehone said:

Roger Johns was captain at Wimbledon i think

And one of the best!

• Like 1

Mike Spink - Canterbury

Am I correct to think that Hugh Saunders was skipper at Hackney or am I barking up the wrong tree in 1974? Don't recall it being Dag Lovaas?

Trevor Hedge at Wimbledon in 1973, then the very under-rated Mick Hines from 1977-78.

Further north, am sure that Brian Havelock skippered Newcastle and possibly Middlesbrough at some point. 

Just now, prodons said:

Further north, am sure that Brian Havelock skippered Newcastle and possibly Middlesbrough at some point. 

You know I was just thinking who skippered the "Diamonds" in 1975...thought it was Tom Owen but you are correct in Brian Havelock. Didn't he move on to Workington later that season or was it during the 1976 season?

40 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

You know I was just thinking who skippered the "Diamonds" in 1975...thought it was Tom Owen but you are correct in Brian Havelock. Didn't he move on to Workington later that season or was it during the 1976 season?

Think it was 76...

• Like 1

Late 60s Mike Broadbank captained The Robins with World Champ Briggo at 1.

• Like 1