British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Team Captains...Those That Perhaps Don't Immediately Spring To Mind?

Wasn’t Pete Smith captain at Poole ? 

25 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Wasn’t Pete Smith captain at Poole ? 

Yes I'm sure that's right...continued during the "Simmo" years I recall but Pete eventually passed on the captaincy when he was suffering with continual bike problems?

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Am I correct to think that Hugh Saunders was skipper at Hackney or am I barking up the wrong tree in 1974? Don't recall it being Dag Lovaas?

That's right. Thommo took over in 75, up til 81 when he joined Crayford, and Finn Thomsen was skipper for the last three years in the BL.

1954 - Ron Sharp - California Poppies (team based in Wokingham area)

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, chunky said:

I don't really know where the idea of the captain being the No. 1 came from, but obviously, a rider with more knowledge and experience does make sense.

Bob Paulson was the first one that I thought of! Tommy Roper was captain at Hyde Rd, when Mauger and Sjosten were the top two.

Bob was one of the best captains Sheffield had

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Terry said:

That's right. Thommo took over in 75, up til 81 when he joined Crayford, and Finn Thomsen was skipper for the last three years in the BL.

Thanks for that! I'm sure that Hughie then became skipper of the "Rockets" when he dropped dowm a league?

Edited by steve roberts

8 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Bob was one of the best captains Sheffield had

Bob was one of the friendliest riders I met as a youngster. Though tbh there were a lot of very friendly and patient riders. Sad to read later that he was somewhat troubled, but guess a lot of people manage to hide it away

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Thanks for that! I'm sure that Hughie then became skipper of the "Rockets" when he dropped dowm a league?

Poor old Hughie broke his leg in his own testimonial meeting. How unlucky can you get!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Terry said:

Poor old Hughie broke his leg in his own testimonial meeting. How unlucky can you get!

Tony Davey broke his thigh for the second time, both times through no fault of his own, three days before his testimonial. Also ended his career.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Tony Davey broke his thigh for the second time, both times through no fault of his own, three days before his testimonial. Also ended his career.

That was the one where they printed the photo of the crash on a later programme, wasn't it? Where he was laying on the track with his leg doubled underneath him?

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

That was the one where they printed the photo of the crash on a later programme, wasn't it? Where he was laying on the track with his leg doubled underneath him?

Yes, still makes me wince just thinking of that photo

Just now, Shrub said:

Yes, still makes me wince just thinking of that photo

Yeah, I've never seen anything like that! Still shocked that they would publish something like that in a programme!

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I've never seen anything like that! Still shocked that they would publish something like that in a programme!

Never thought about it that way but you're right, if it had happened say last year they certainly wouldn't have published it. Different sensitivities 40 years ago? I think John Berry re-produced it in his first book, along with the photo's of Shrimp's hand after the crash that cost him a couple of fingers and thumb.  

9 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Never thought about it that way but you're right, if it had happened say last year they certainly wouldn't have published it. Different sensitivities 40 years ago? I think John Berry re-produced it in his first book, along with the photo's of Shrimp's hand after the crash that cost him a couple of fingers and thumb.  

It's certainly not the kind of photo that would encourage a kid to become a speedway rider!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:04 PM, steve roberts said:

I have a feeling that Geoff Mudge was captain of Reading in 1972?

I have nothing but huge regards for Geoff.

He became Captain at Poole in 1963 and served us brilliantly until his move to Reading in 1971.

In fact, I still think of him as our BEST EVER Captain

• Like 1