British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Martin Hitch

Just chatting to Martin on Facebook. Said he rode with his Dad Clive for Swindon in 1973. Probably the only father and son to ride for the Robins in their 71 year history? Car accident curtailed his career.

13 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Probably the only father and son to ride for the Robins in their 71 year history?

You quite sure about that? Think about it for a few minutes!!!

19 minutes ago, prodons said:

Possibly at the same time though :)

True, but how many fathers and sons HAVE ridden together? Other than these two, we have the Coles', the Barclays, and Les and Ronnie Moore (at Shelbourne).

Anyone else?

16 minutes ago, chunky said:

True, but how many fathers and sons HAVE ridden together? Other than these two, we have the Coles', the Barclays, and Les and Ronnie Moore (at Shelbourne).

Anyone else?

Glasgow 2002, Les and Aidan Collins, Mark and Scott Courtney.

Wilf Jay made an appearance for Sheffield in 1964 against Long Eaton with his sons Alan and Derek in the same side.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, prodons said:

Reg and Eddie Reeves in the early 60’s possibly? 

Yep, forgot about them!

18 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Ken and Paul Sharples rode together at Sunderland in 1964.

You would probably know off the top of your head; did Charlie Dugard ever ride with any of his boys?

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

You would probably know off the top of your head; did Charlie Dugard ever ride with any of his boys?

Off the top of my head, I think Charlie finished riding in 1946, John first appeared in 1957 and Bob a couple of years later.

3 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Off the top of my head, I think Charlie finished riding in 1946, John first appeared in 1957 and Bob a couple of years later.

Thanks, I wasn't sure...

11 hours ago, prodons said:

Reg and Eddie Reeves in the early 60’s possibly? 

Remember them New Cross 63

31 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Did the taylors ride at peterboro together  in early 70's.glyn and chum?

Chum Taylor 'retired' from British speedway after his season at Cradley Heath in 1966.  However, when Glyn came over from Perth to ride for Peterborough in 1973 Chum followed shortly afterwards, believing he had agreed a deal with promoter Danny Dunton to also ride for the Panthers.  Chum was told there was no team place for him and so a deal was done for Glyn and Chum to ride for Crewe.  Glyn had a team place there for the rest of the season, but Chum was set to ride in the second half until race fit.  Unfortunately, he fell in his first ride and broke his shoulder.  That was his final race in Britain.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1