British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Now here's a funny thing....

As some of you know I was named after a speedway rider, Wimbledon captain, Norman Parker, and the first team I supported was New Cross.

Yesterday, while sorting through some of my old Speedway papers, I came across a copy of Speedway World which included the results for the week I was born, so I looked up what matches were on the day I was born. By an odd coincidence, the only match on that day was Wimbledon v. New Cross, with Wimbledon winning 52-43, Norman Parker scoring 12 points.

Sorry, I'll get back to my hole.

• Like 2

Wimbledon were also riding at home the day I was born, but by then Parker had retired. Funny that

18 hours ago, Chadster said:

I was born in November so no one was riding, home or away. I suddenly feel strangely deprived..

There was probably some action in Australasia or Southern Africa.

• Like 1

Well I was born in the Speedway season so on seeing this thread I thought I'd see what was happening on my date of birth and if there were any connections to me.

There was a round of the Provincial riders championship at Cradley Heath and it was won by Colin Pratt :neutral:

No don't, it's a cheap shot!

Any takers on the date though? :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Well I was born in the Speedway season so on seeing this thread I thought I'd see what was happening on my date of birth and if there were any connections to me.

There was a round of the Provincial riders championship at Cradley Heath and it was won by Colin Pratt :neutral:

No don't, it's a cheap shot!

Any takers on the date though? :)

8th August 1964.  It was not a pleasant day, some rain and thunderstorms locally.  Very slow race times  throughout the meeting.

• Like 1

In my first season watching live speedway in 1976 Roger Johns was the first Wimbledon rider I saw win a race at Plough Lane (8 March) heat 8. He was also the Wimbledon rider I saw to win a race for Wimbledon in a away fixture (24 March) heat 2, at White City.

• Like 1

I'm always amazed by people's encyclopedic knowledge & memory on here.

I can't remember who the opposition was on my first ever meeting at Poole in 1972 when I was 8. I remember my stand out rider being Brian Collins and I remember getting upset when he got excluded for breaking the tapes as I thought he was unbeaten up till then.

I've checked speedway archives online though & can't find any evidence of that happening so I don't know if my memory is playing tricks? If anyone could cast any light on it I'd be grateful.

54 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I'm always amazed by people's encyclopedic knowledge & memory on here.

I can't remember who the opposition was on my first ever meeting at Poole in 1972 when I was 8. I remember my stand out rider being Brian Collins and I remember getting upset when he got excluded for breaking the tapes as I thought he was unbeaten up till then.

I've checked speedway archives online though & can't find any evidence of that happening so I don't know if my memory is playing tricks? If anyone could cast any light on it I'd be grateful.

Could it have been in a second-half, perhaps?

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

Could it have been in a second-half, perhaps?

I didn't think so because I remember thinking he was excluded from the meeting till my dad explained it was just that race.

It's bothered me for some time now lol. Maybe I'm remembering wrong? 

Just now, AFCB Wildcat said:

I didn't think so because I remember thinking he was excluded from the meeting till my dad explained it was just that race.

It's bothered me for some time now lol. Maybe I'm remembering wrong? 

Most of the time, my memory is really good, but occasionally, it appears that things really aren't how I remember them! One of the perks of getting old, I suppose?

On October 11, 1972, Poole faced Reading in a challenge. Brian won his first three rides, and then broke the tapes in his fourth. He won his fifth ride.

Could that be the one?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

On October 11, 1972, Poole faced Reading in a challenge. Brian won his first three rides, and then broke the tapes in his fourth. He won his fifth ride.

Could that be the one?

That sounds right! I knew it was at the end of the season because we only went to a couple before doing the complete 1973 season.

Maybe I was just finding league results?  Thank you :t: