British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Now here's a funny thing....

Okay... You looked on Speedway Researcher, didn't you? At Poole 1972?

We were talking about Speedway Researcher recently, and I did mention that there is information missing (certainly not the fault of anyone involved with the site), and also, that not everything is cross-indexed.

Instead of going to the Poole archives (which I figured you'd checked), I searched by year, and then Season Results. It was in there, but not in the Poole file! So, whenever you want to check something on there, check ALL possible locations, as they don't always appear where you first look.

The interesting thing here is that there was a note attached. The meeting was never advertised - and never reported on - in Speedway Star.

20 minutes ago, chunky said:

Okay... You looked on Speedway Researcher, didn't you? At Poole 1972?

We were talking about Speedway Researcher recently, and I did mention that there is information missing (certainly not the fault of anyone involved with the site), and also, that not everything is cross-indexed.

Instead of going to the Poole archives (which I figured you'd checked), I searched by year, and then Season Results. It was in there, but not in the Poole file! So, whenever you want to check something on there, check ALL possible locations, as they don't always appear where you first look.

The interesting thing here is that there was a note attached. The meeting was never advertised - and never reported on - in Speedway Star.

Wow, yes no wonder I couldn't find it. Funny enough after you gave me the date and team I did a Google search and found a link to this section of the forum from a year ago with someone requesting the results for this fixture and subsequently the scores.

It was definitely this fixture and on seeing the scores, it changes my answer to the ' your first world champion ' thread as I see Ronnie Moore was guesting for Poole.

At least I know that my memory of events it isn't flawed so thanks again! 

21 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

At least I know that my memory of events it isn't flawed so thanks again! 

Glad to be of assistance, and now you know that you sometimes need to look in more than one place!

I know Brian and could ask him why he broke the tapes!

An interesting debate regarding the Poole meeting mentioned above. It is myself and a friend that compiles the complete season files from 1965 on the Speedway Researcher website !

I do recall this meeting being missing from the file when somebody emailed me about a year ago about the omission

The reason for this meeting being missing from the Poole 1972 team file is that the team file is older than the complete season file. When new information is obtained I update the season file and leave the team file unchanged due to time constaints.

The season files are regularly tweaked but the team files are not. If you are looking for particular details for any meeting it is best to check the season file, an onerous task but a lot more accurate  !

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

it was indeed.

acesoxf.jpg.2889762890c32aded33ab6356fd8691f.jpg

Wow that's amazing!

I see Colin Gooddy was going okay though.

He was one of my favourite riders later at Poole :D

Great to see it, thank you for posting it.

Edited by AFCB Wildcat

23 hours ago, Topcat said:

I know Brian and could ask him why he broke the tapes!

If you could that would be great.

I've got over it now but as an 8 year old I was quite upset so it would be nice have closure on the episode :D

Back to the thread I was born on the first day of the War 3/9/1939 and there is no record of any matches that day even Poland,, well it was a Sunday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knowle said:

Back to the thread I was born on the first day of the War 3/9/1939 and there is no record of any matches that day even Poland,, well it was a Sunday. 

On Sunday, 3rd September 1939 Holbeach & Spalding Tulips were due to meet The Dominions at Bell End, Holbeach on what had originally been a grass circuit, but by mid-1939 had been levelled to form what was a dirt-surfaced track.  There are references to the circuit having cinders on the bends immediately after the war, but it is not clear if this was the case in 1939.  Meetings staged at Bell End followed the format for speedway meetings, with individual events over 20 heats and team meetings regularly taking place, sometimes against teams from league clubs.  The meeting against The Dominions was cancelled following declaration of war earlier in the day, but in defiance of a government ban on public assemblies impromptu races took place that afternoon, with around 400 spectators present.   In the final race of the afternoon Alan Smith beat Buster Yeomans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:29 PM, BL65 said:

On Sunday, 3rd September 1939 Holbeach & Spalding Tulips were due to meet The Dominions at Bell End, Holbeach on what had originally been a grass circuit, but by mid-1939 had been levelled to form what was a dirt-surfaced track.  There are references to the circuit having cinders on the bends immediately after the war, but it is not clear if this was the case in 1939.  Meetings staged at Bell End followed the format for speedway meetings, with individual events over 20 heats and team meetings regularly taking place, sometimes against teams from league clubs.  The meeting against The Dominions was cancelled following declaration of war earlier in the day, but in defiance of a government ban on public assemblies impromptu races took place that afternoon, with around 400 spectators present.   In the final race of the afternoon Alan Smith beat Buster Yeomans.

Thanks for that BL65 that was really interesting.