British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gunner85

MORE POLISH LEAGUE INTERFERENCE

52 minutes ago, iainb said:

We have training facilities in this country, I can always hear the bikes going round Leicester... even this summer. The point that has been raised here is that Poland will be good for the development our "youngest and best talent". The reality is they'll need to outlay thousands in equipment, totally commit themselves to putting Poland first and then not be given the opportunity to ride if they run a last place, they'd be far better off in the UK getting track time imo. It's only when they are nearing the top of the UK averages that they should even be thinking about Poland

thing is Poland will run regardless of covid next year but will we in the uk. if I was there age and only definite chance to race (if picked) was Poland thats where i would go. these lads cant hang around on a maybe . if they dont get competitive track time they will stagnate which again is no good for them or the sport here,

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Najjer said:

You are so wrong in my view. Having the odd spin on your own at Leicester is alright for blowing away the cobwebs or the odd training school with Wayne Carter at Scunthorpe but that isn’t going to turn you into a quality rider. Diving in feet first in Poland where you are coached by a large group of knowledgable and experienced people, with quality riders, learning all about set ups and the fastest tracks will however give you every chance of becoming quality - not to mention additional invaluable experience. Sticking to the comforts of their current surroundings over here will just result in them turning into a Josh Auty or Lewis Bridger.

Anders Rowe has been taken on under Leszno’s wings, Jack Thomas and Tom Brennan at Łódź with Adam Skornicki’s guidance, Drew Kemp at Gdansk a team with huge ambition, that’s before even mentioning Dan Bewley at Wroclaw who we saw benefitted huge at the end of this season with Tai Woffinden in his corner.

Its a massive opportunity for these riders and fair shout to them for taking the leap. It’s down to them now to make the most of it.

Jumping at the opportunity to ride anywhere abroad is commendable and the riders must have a high degree of talent to be offered places/contracts. Personally I wish them every success.

Some riders are quite content with riding in the UK and have no desire to take the opportunities offered abroad.  

But at the bottom end of the scale, they have to start somewhere and learn. Some riders have progressed to higher levels by blowing cobwebs away at Leicester and attending odd training schools, so please don't knock these as riders do benefit from them.

22 minutes ago, Najjer said:

You are so wrong in my view. Having the odd spin on your own at Leicester is alright for blowing away the cobwebs or the odd training school with Wayne Carter at Scunthorpe but that isn’t going to turn you into a quality rider. Diving in feet first in Poland where you are coached by a large group of knowledgable and experienced people, with quality riders, learning all about set ups and the fastest tracks will however give you every chance of becoming quality - not to mention additional invaluable experience. Sticking to the comforts of their current surroundings over here will just result in them turning into a Josh Auty or Lewis Bridger.

Anders Rowe has been taken on under Leszno’s wings, Jack Thomas and Tom Brennan at Łódź with Adam Skornicki’s guidance, Drew Kemp at Gdansk a team with huge ambition, that’s before even mentioning Dan Bewley at Wroclaw who we saw benefitted huge at the end of this season with Tai Woffinden in his corner.

Its a massive opportunity for these riders and fair shout to them for taking the leap. It’s down to them now to make the most of it.

Both Josh and Lewis gave it a go in Poland.Bridger actually not doing too bad.Gave it a go when just turning 19 and had 7 seasons,although only doing 2 fullish seasons out of the 7.

Auty on the other hand managed 2 matches one in 2008 and one in 2011.

So they didn't stick to the comforts of their home surroundings they gave it a go and Poland didn't make them go forward.

Same with B.Barker he went to Poland aged 19 and his teams managed to give  him 1,4,6,1 matches in 4 consecutive years.So that didn't benefit him and push him forward.

Richie Worrall another.

Just because Poland is undoubtedly is the best league,it doesn't mean it will benefit our young riders by going over there.They will be dropped like a stone like the riders mentioned above if the don't perform.

No British rider has gone their recently and basically learnt their trade.Woffy was already good,we knew Lambert was going places,he was helped by early learning in Germany,yep Germany not Poland gave Lambert the racing experience to push forward.

I just hope the teams give our youngsters matches even if they start off slowly,but i can't see that,can you?You only have to see how many riders are used during the season in the lower leagues in Poland.You think teams are bad here when they use 9 or 10 riders through the season they are quite often near the mid teens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secsy1 said:

Jumping at the opportunity to ride anywhere abroad is commendable and the riders must have a high degree of talent to be offered places/contracts. Personally I wish them every success.

Some riders are quite content with riding in the UK and have no desire to take the opportunities offered abroad.  

But at the bottom end of the scale, they have to start somewhere and learn. Some riders have progressed to higher levels by blowing cobwebs away at Leicester and attending odd training schools, so please don't knock these as riders do benefit from them.

I’m certainly not knocking them in the slightest - I am praising them for expanding their tuition even further. To continue their training schools in this country combined with abroad in Poland can only be of benefit in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

Spot on...

As I've said the Russians took the same route and now more are joining each year (some even with Polish blood coursing through their veins seemingly):D

Beating the same riders week in week out wont give you any sense of where you are globally versus your age group peers (who will be your rivals potentially for years to come), and wont improve you as a rider..

Riding in Poland will do both, or at least make it clear you are not at the required level yet, (or maybe even never)..

Give these lads the safety net of plenty of rides over here and cover them with guests if needed when Poland calls (it's not as if you can devalue the UK Leagues too much anyway by doing so such is their already contrived operating model), and when they are overseas it gives other lads a chance to take their place over here...

Many have been the "next great white hope" who at 18/19 become heat leaders in the top leagues, riding around small home technical tracks, who then go on to pretty much nothing on the World stage.. 

Let's see if 'something different' works and hope that the days of ten or so genuine World Class riders once again return wearing the GB colours..

Not one single club team out there winning any league will grow the sport nationally in this country one iota, therefore let's put the eggs in the basket of the national team and see if that will..

It worked in the 70's for Speedway and it worked for both Rugby Union and Cricket when they finally realised that a successful national team is the only way to attract more national coverage, more domestic fans off the back of it, and probably most importantly, more sponsors..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on...

As I've said the Russians took the same route and now more are joining each year (some even with Polish blood coursing through their veins seemingly):D

Beating the same riders week in week out wont give you any sense of where you are globally versus your age group peers (who will be your rivals potentially for years to come), and wont improve you as a rider..

Riding in Poland will do both, or at least make it clear you are not at the required level yet, (or maybe even never)..

Give these lads the safety net of plenty of rides over here and cover them with guests if needed when Poland calls (it's not as if you can devalue the UK Leagues too much anyway by doing so such is their already contrived operating model), and when they are overseas it gives other lads a chance to take their place over here...

Many have been the "next great white hope" who at 18/19 become heat leaders in the top leagues, riding around small home technical tracks, who then go on to pretty much nothing on the World stage.. 

Let's see if 'something different' works and hope that the days of ten or so genuine World Class riders once again return wearing the GB colours..

Not one single club team out there winning any league will grow the sport nationally in this country one iota, therefore let's put the eggs in the basket of the national team and see if that will..

It worked in the 70's for Speedway and it worked for both Rugby Union and Cricket when they finally realised that a successful national team is the only way to attract more national coverage, more domestic fans off the back of it, and probably most importantly, more sponsors..

We have said this even at junior level. My lad has benefited massively on the 125cc by racing in Poland ,Czech, Germany ,holland and Belgium over the last few years . The level was a grade above ours but showed us where we needed to be. Having watched a 250 meeting in Germany again it showed where we can improve. Due to the restrictions this year been unable to compete abroad on the 250 but we have had several conversations with Neil Vatcher about getting into Europe as often as possible as a group or individuals. As you say riding against the same riders every week gives a false impression of where you are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

We have said this even at junior level. My lad has benefited massively on the 125cc by racing in Poland ,Czech, Germany ,holland and Belgium over the last few years . The level was a grade above ours but showed us where we needed to be. Having watched a 250 meeting in Germany again it showed where we can improve. Due to the restrictions this year been unable to compete abroad on the 250 but we have had several conversations with Neil Vatcher about getting into Europe as often as possible as a group or individuals. As you say riding against the same riders every week gives a false impression of where you are. 

Several riders have been mentioned as examples of riders who failed to get a 'fair crack of the whip', at a young age in Poland, however those mentioned have hardly gone on to have, (no disrespect) 'stellar global careers' have they? 

So maybe those who ran the teams they rode for in Poland didn't see enough to warrant their relationship to continue and ultimately got proved correct..?

Robert Lambert is for me the obvious example of a lad who benefited enormously from riding competitive meetings abroad when he wasn't allowed to do the same over here, and more than held his own. And beating those at the time who he will race against many times over the next few years at such a tender age must have been a huge confidence boost to take forward..

Best wishes to you and your lad and maybe his level will hit a ceiling that he can't go above, or maybe his level will smash ceiling after ceiling and he goes on to the very top..

At least you and he won't ever wonder what might have been if only you had taken him out of his comfort zone, just like the lads with Polish contracts will find about themselves next year..

Hope it all goes well for him...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mikebv said:

Robert Lambert is for me the obvious example of a lad who benefited enormously from riding competitive meetings abroad when he wasn't allowed to do the same over here, and more than held his own. And beating those at the time who he will race against many times over the next few years at such a tender age must have been a huge confidence boost to take forward..

Which Polish club did Robert ride for and from what age? Genuine question

Another young Brit, Jack Smith has just signed for German club Wittstock. However, they compete in the Polish 2nd Division so add him to the growing list of young Brits in the Polish league.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Which Polish club did Robert ride for and from what age? Genuine question

Not sure about Poland but he rode in Germany in League when he was 15.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not sure about Poland but he rode in Germany in League when he was 15.

Thanks Fromafar, yeah, I know that but I think the discussion is about British youth signing up to Polish clubs. I know Lambert shone in a pretty p155 poor Rybnik team last year, I genuinely don't know what he's done in Poland before this though

46 minutes ago, iainb said:

Thanks Fromafar, yeah, I know that but I think the discussion is about British youth signing up to Polish clubs. I know Lambert shone in a pretty p155 poor Rybnik team last year, I genuinely don't know what he's done in Poland before this though

Record here:

http://www.zuzel.ugu.pl/index.php?profil=3021&tab=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While this is about British Youth signing up in Poland and I wish them well,but unless they are getting a decent retaining fee I fail to see how they will get enough chances to ride and make money given the number of youngsters in Poland.Like has been pointed out British riders at a much higher level have failed to “ cut the mustard” at Polish level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Looks like Robert got a fair crack of the whip then, but obviously he was scoring the points. Compare that to Dan Bewley in the season just gone, straight into the top league, totally out of his depth, dropped brought back due to injuries on loaned equipment... I wonder if Wroclaw will have him back next season

Just now, iainb said:

Looks like Robert got a fair crack of the whip then, but obviously he was scoring the points. Compare that to Dan Bewley in the season just gone, straight into the top league, totally out of his depth, dropped brought back due to injuries on loaned equipment... I wonder if Wroclaw will have him back next season

He wasn’t dropped - he got injured in a non speedway related accident and returned back home, making him unavailable for selection until the latter part of the season.