British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gunner85

MORE POLISH LEAGUE INTERFERENCE

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Even more reason to 'go it alone' over here I would think and be in charge of your own destiny...

I tend to agree with this.  It is folly to be constantly dependant on the demands of the Polish leagues.  I think we need to get ahead of the game and organise a self-sustaining league system. 

There ought to be a cut-off date for riders who want to take part to confirm this and then we plan from there. 

Reading the recent book 'Saving Speedway' seems strangely appropriate for today.  It's about how they built the Provincial League in the 60s which led the British League in 1965 and the most successful and stable period of the sport in this country.

Of course times have changed and everything is different, but it shows how you have to go back and organise before you can go forward and grow. Also those involved with the organisation have to work together for the good of the whole.

I don't think this principal has changed but do we have someone who can lead such a movement?

• Like 3

the only time the sport has ever grown or expanded is from the bottom and it can happen again

Speedway has ebbed and flowed throughout its 9 decades.

Speedway has a chance to build a better future if the Promoters can actually promote and create rules that benefit  the Sport as opposed to promoters looking after their own individual needs.

Having a neutral person as Chairman who can look after the needs of the Sport is priority number one

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Speedway has ebbed and flowed throughout its 9 decades.

Speedway has a chance to build a better future if the Promoters can actually promote and create rules that benefit  the Sport as opposed to promoters looking after their own individual needs.

Having a neutral person as Chairman who can look after the needs of the Sport is priority number one

As long as the sport here is in such a precarious position there will be no independent person imo. It's a committee, everyone has their say (if they've been on it long enough), everyone can put ideas forward .....

Regarding an "independent body", it would be interesting to see if any of the other major sporting leagues have an "independent body" or are they much like speedway and ran by an elected committee. Does anybody have knowledge of how these bodies actually work regarding voting, how things are actually done (Premier League, Gallagher Premiership, Super League etc). I know in America all the major sports have commissioners, but I'm not sure what powers / rights they actually have.

I know the NFL have various committees, which look after different aspects of the game, TV, rules etc. But does the final say go to the commissioner? would this be the sort of procedure to put in place?

Poland are looking after themselves. Its upto them what restrictions they put on their contracted riders.

If this speeds up 1 rider one club it can only be a big benefit, and the sport maybe taken more seriously.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2021 at 12:20 PM, coldace said:

I tend to agree with this.  It is folly to be constantly dependant on the demands of the Polish leagues.  I think we need to get ahead of the game and organise a self-sustaining league system. 

There ought to be a cut-off date for riders who want to take part to confirm this and then we plan from there. 

Reading the recent book 'Saving Speedway' seems strangely appropriate for today.  It's about how they built the Provincial League in the 60s which led the British League in 1965 and the most successful and stable period of the sport in this country.

Of course times have changed and everything is different, but it shows how you have to go back and organise before you can go forward and grow. Also those involved with the organisation have to work together for the good of the whole.

I don't think this principal has changed but do we have someone who can lead such a movement?

Have to agree,  we need to build again in GB.We certainly can’t compete with Poland regarding money and sponsors.We need to cut our cloth accordingly.IMO.We certainly won’t lose any fans,and we might attract some new ones if we get the entertainment factor right, without the “ Mickey Mouse “ rules.

• Like 7

On 1/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, Fromafar said:

Have to agree,  we need to build again in GB.We certainly can’t compete with Poland regarding money and sponsors.We need to cut our cloth accordingly.IMO.We certainly won’t lose any fans,and we might attract some new ones if we get the entertainment factor right, without the “ Mickey Mouse “ rules.

Spot on, need to start again, it seems some fans are hung up in the past...they need to stop it, sub 1000 crowds are not going to get us back to the time we had all the top stars in the 1980s.  If that means 'lower level' stars that what needs to happen. Ultimately it is the fans fault because they have stopped going, causing cutbacks to be necessary. I am prepared to take my share of the blame!

Edited by BUDGIE
spelling as usual lol
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BUDGIE said:

Spot on, need to start again, it seems some fans are hung up in the past...they need to stop it, sub 1000 crowds are not going to get us back to the time we had all the top stars in the 1980s.  If that means 'lower level' stars that what needs to happen. Ultimately it is the fans fault because they have stopped going, causing cutbacks to be necessary. I am prepared to take my share of the blame!

:rofl:

You are having a fookin' laugh blaming fans

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BUDGIE said:

What came first, the chicken (the people running the sport) or the egg (us, the fans)...

In this instance, it is most certainly the chicken!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, Najjer said:

What came first, the chicken (the people running the sport) or the egg (us, the fans)...

In this instance, it is most certainly the chicken!

I would say that the continued insistance by some fans that  the sport in England needs top SGP stars has  caused a lot of issues.

The crowds are nowhere near being able to support a Tai, or a Bartosz, the sport needs to get to a level that it can afford,

and supporters need to accept that and continue to attend, otherwise its curtains....and I for one will be very sad at that.

PS thanks for responding without the vitriol and   mispelt swear words, and at least if others are going to swear they could at least spell them correctly if they are able!

Edited by BUDGIE
tidied it up a bit!
  • Like 2

I am a firm believer in "what goes around comes around. "

It is Poland's time to rule the roost in the Speedway World at the moment. 

Let us hope when the "bubble bursts" , when the Polish supporters find other things to do with their leisure time, and their  TV companies find another sport to put on their channels  that the GB promoters are just  as robust in imposing punitive conditions on the contracts of riders who decide that they suddenly want to return to ride in the UK.

As a now independent Sovereign nation we ought to be developing our own riding talent ...... and imposing contract conditions to restrict their ability to suddenly sign up for  EU nations and quit the tracks where they learnt how to race. No longer are we saddled with EU employment rules.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I am a firm believer in "what goes around comes around. "

It is Poland's time to rule the roost in the Speedway World at the moment. 

Let us hope when the "bubble bursts" , when the Polish supporters find other things to do with their leisure time, and their  TV companies find another sport to put on their channels  that the GB promoters are just  as robust in imposing punitive conditions on the contracts of riders who decide that they suddenly want to return to ride in the UK.

As a now independent Sovereign nation we ought to be developing our own riding talent ...... and imposing contract conditions to restrict their ability to suddenly sign up for  EU nations and quit the tracks where they learnt how to race. No longer are we saddled with EU employment rules.

Herne Bay, is that in cloud cuckoo land !!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1