Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gunner85

MORE POLISH LEAGUE INTERFERENCE

Recommended Posts

Lambert the latest to sign for swedish team so no lambert at Lynn if the polish rule applies !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We will have to accept that speedway has come to the end of the road when it comes to being regarded as an international sport. It will become a sport that will be regarded as something Polish motorbike riders do. But you can't knock them for looking after their own interest. Doesn't matter how long this thread goes on for it won't change the natural outcome of their diktats

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, Daniel Smith said:

Polish Speedway is very very different to British Speedway of the 70's.

Everything from then to now is nothing of the same. 

For a start, Speedway was a hobby compared to today. So much money from sponsorship, TV, etc today where then it was heavily reliant on people through the turnstiles. 

Polish Speedway, like Premier League football have proven they can continue & adapted to less or no fans in the grounds. 

People talk about Speedway in Poland as some sort of new phenomenon but it's been massive their since the 70's too. What they've managed to do is progress & adapt to fit each decade.

British Speedway's biggest & the only thing that's killed the sport here was the selling off of stadia to greyhounds, stockcars, rugby clubs etc. This single handedly set the decline. Whereas Poland have managed to keep & build new stadia for themselves. Yes we have Belle Vue but that has come at least 30 years to late. 

British Speedway stadia has gotten so bad they're places today's people just don't want to be.

Sorry but I disagree with a couple of your points. I don’t think you realise how many high profile sponsors British Speedway had in the 1970’s.

From the national papers (Daily & Sunday Mirror, Daily Express) through to Volkswagen, Skol, Golden Wonder and Wills, the majority of the prestige meetings benefited from blue chip backers and back page coverage.

As someone else posted, I’m not aware of stadia being sold off to greyhounds etc. In most cases the speedway promotors were tenants and had little say in the matter. I think Poland have significantly benefited from civic support to bankroll or permit  new stadia. The only equivalent case in the UK is with the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester. 
 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s also worth noting, that regardless of the money actually on offer, Poland and Sweden ran league seasons in 2020 whereas over here we didn’t because it wasn’t viable. That probably tells you all you need to know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, prodons said:

...I don’t think you realise how many high profile sponsors British Speedway had in the 1970’s.

From the national papers (Daily & Sunday Mirror, Daily Express) through to Volkswagen, Skol, Golden Wonder and Wills, the majority of the prestige meetings benefited from blue chip backers and back page coverage...

You forgot your Durex :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

You forgot your Durex :D

... If only James Sarjeant was riding in those days, he could have, erm... cleaned up :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iainb said:

... If only James Sarjeant was riding in those days, he could have, erm... cleaned up :rofl:

Well he does go a 'little early'...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Well he does go a 'little early'...

He often finishes last too though, the ladies appreciate that... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think they'll be a lot of 'riders' who've started at the back and get to the front before the finish. Also probably a lot do the reverse as well.

Edited by gazzac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see all the Polish interference in helping develop some of our youngest and best talent, with several lads being given contracts....

And recognition too for the work put in by those leading the development of those lads over here..

Can only be good for British Speedway for these lads to develop within the biggest Speedway nation, and get to experience what it's like to perform under true pressure every week like their Polish peer group sample from such an early age..

Let's hope Poland's interference stretches to a few more team spaces being made available...

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Great to see all the Polish interference in helping develop some of our youngest and best talent, with several lads being given contracts....

And recognition too for the work put in by those leading the development of those lads over here..

Can only be good for British Speedway for these lads to develop within the biggest Speedway nation, and get to experience what it's like to perform under true pressure every week like their Polish peer group sample from such an early age..

Let's hope Poland's interference stretches to a few more team spaces being made available...

 

Is it good for British speedway?

What if the top tier in Poland stick with only being able to ride in two leagues.Once Poland develop these riders they will be riding in the top league there ,then they won't be racing in England.That isn't good for British Speedway in my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tellboy said:

Is it good for British speedway?

What if the top tier in Poland stick with only being able to ride in two leagues.Once Poland develop these riders they will be riding in the top league there ,then they won't be racing in England.That isn't good for British Speedway in my eyes.

A strong national team kept the sport in the wider public eye in the seventies which the domestic leagues then benefitted from..

I believe that the sport would get much more coverage if consistent GB teams' success was being delivered...

The sport over here should see itself as a 'breeding ground' for riders who then naturally move on to the bigger leagues and plan accordingly for their departure with talent coming through to replace them..

Maybe a successful GB team over a few years would then help grow the domestic leagues and mean they can then meet the expectations of their very best riders again, thus meaning riders not having to see Poland as their 'golden ticket'..

It wasn't too long ago that the UK was THE place to ride, unfortunately we ended up training everyone else up to take our position at the top table and gave loads of team spots to foreign riders. Poland won't make the same mistake and will maintain a team structure that has a minimum amount of Poles in them, therefore the UK should do the same and protect places for the young British lads in particular and provide them with as much track time as possible..

If a conveyer belt of talent is coming through then the best can move on accordingly and the sport can still thrive over here, and a very successful GB team can only be a good thing, and the chances of that happening are increased the earlier our lads are tested and stretched riding in leagues that actually have kudos, under the huge weight of expectation from clubs and their fans that exists in Poland..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it once before and I'll say it again. Now is the perfect time to create one or two British franchise teams to race in the Polish League. Any smart business minded promoter would realise this. If Poland are going to call the shots (and who can blame them) it's better to co-operate than fight against it. 

Edited by JamesHarris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I've said it once before and I'll say it again. Now is the perfect time to create one or two British franchise teams to race in the Polish League. Any smart business minded promoter would realise this. If Poland are going to call the shots (and who can blame them) it's better to co-operate than fight against it. 

Can see some potential in that but I think it would need to be the top league to make it work and that isn't allowed by the PZM..

The lower leagues have pretty much the same riders we already see over here now so wouldnt be a crowd puller for me..

A team made up of the two best U21 riders and the five best British riders, could be a decent product to sell though, but whether any such club with that team could pay the required salaries to entice Woffinden and Lambert for example is very doubtful I would suggest..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy