British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fatface

Last ever Hyde Road meeting

Even though I live in West Cumbria, was at the last Hyde road meeting, 1st and last at kirky lane, and the 1st at nss, but only saw the couple of practice rides, then into city centre to drown our sorrows !!

10 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Wow, that brought back memories. Thanks for posting!

Thought you'd like that. 

Really decent quality for 1987 too. The bloke must have been carrying a two tonne camera around back then! :)

Edited by falcace

Terrific footage Hyde Rd was a special place  out of all my visits i can only remember it being dry once .!!!! My main memory probably was Carter winning his BLRC titles and Ivan's farewell meeting also the  wet 1983  BLRC sticks in my mind with Erik winning it and Lee beating Nielsen in a run  for second place.

One of my memories of Hyde Road was Hans trying to cover the entire track in an attempt to keep both Peter Collins and Chris Morton at bay in one race...he failed!

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

One of my memories of Hyde Road was Hans trying to cover the entire track in an attempt to keep both Peter Collins and Chris Morton at bay in one race...he failed!

Yeah, not the easiest thing to do!

One of my favourite trips there (apart from the fact it was dry) was for the KOC in 1980. Johnsy top scored for us with 16+1, and beat PC three times!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, not the easiest thing to do!

One of my favourite trips there (apart from the fact it was dry) was for the KOC in 1980. Johnsy top scored for us with 16+1, and beat PC three times!

That would have been some feat! Remember Roger competing in second halves at Cowley during 1972 in his bright green leathers...always thought that he would end up at Oxford due to the then promotional tie up but like Bobby McNeil ended up elsewhere.

Edited by steve roberts

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

That would have been some feat! Remember Roger competing in second halves at Cowley during 1972 in his bright green leathers...always thought that he would end up at Oxford due to the then promotional tie up but like Bobby McNeil ended up elsewhere.

It wasn't the only time Roger did something like that! Not sure what year - it may have been 1979 - the Aces came to Plough Lane, and he scored a 12-point max which included two fantastic wins over PC. In one of those, they passed and repassed, but it didn't matter what PC tried, he just couldn't get the better of Johnsy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

It wasn't the only time Roger did something like that! Not sure what year - it may have been 1979 - the Aces came to Plough Lane, and he scored a 12-point max which included two fantastic wins over PC. In one of those, they passed and repassed, but it didn't matter what PC tried, he just couldn't get the better of Johnsy.

A very underated rider in my opinion. I think (withiut checking) that 1979 was his best year and I'm sure he qualified for the Commonwealth Final that year?

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

A very underated rider in my opinion. I think (withiut checking) that 1979 was his best year and I'm sure he qualified for the Commonwealth Final that year?

Yep, that was 79. At the British Final, he only had one point after two rides, but scored seven from his last three to reach White City.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1