British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

Godfrey's 16

It has been said that the promoters have been having Zoom time meetings during the covid19 situation so I would surmise that all would have had some input in these discussions.

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.38468

Have some of you actually read the statement? It says that there could be team changes! We know Leicester COULD be making a change because of the situation with Perks sponsors. It also says it is his OPINION so not a rule or regulation.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

It has been said that the promoters have been having Zoom time meetings during the covid19 situation so I would surmise that all would have had some input in these discussions.

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.38468

Have some of you actually read the statement? It says that there could be team changes! We know Leicester COULD be making a change because of the situation with Perks sponsors. It also says it is his OPINION so not a rule or regulation.

If it was MY opinion you could knock it all you want ,but when the people like Godfrey give these kind of thoughts it doesn’t give much hope for thE Sport.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, enotian said:

Wayne Carter....

Rob Hollingworth still got it

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

They may ,but they can’t make teams sign riders they can’t agree Terms with.

Yep, It was a situation like such as this that finally saw the demise of Rider Control at the end of 1976.

This lot clearly don't do history...

Ah...Rider Control. I was only a school boy at the time, but couldn't get my head around Dave Jessup (who would go on to be a whisker away from being world champion) going to Reading from Leicester, with Reidar Eide joining the Lions (from Newport?) for the 1976 season. I understood that this was associated with Rider Control. I don't know what the respective averages were, but even as a kid I thought we had been shafted. 1976 turned out to be most disastrous season I can remember for the Lions.

1 hour ago, Teromaafan said:

Ah...Rider Control. I was only a school boy at the time, but couldn't get my head around Dave Jessup (who would go on to be a whisker away from being world champion) going to Reading from Leicester, with Reidar Eide joining the Lions (from Newport?) for the 1976 season. I understood that this was associated with Rider Control. I don't know what the respective averages were, but even as a kid I thought we had been shafted. 1976 turned out to be most disastrous season I can remember for the Lions.

Yes, I was at school at the time as well. 

Dave Jessup wasn't subject to Rider Control IIRC, his move was a straight commercial transaction between two Reg Fearman promoted tracks, and DJ moved to Reading as a replacement for Anders Michanek who wasn't returning in '76. Leicester were allocated Reidar Eide via the Control committee, as their averages didn't have much of a disparity at the time. To make up the numbers, Leicester got two relatively unknown foreigners on assessed 7.5 averages, Ernst Bogh and Greg Szczepanik. Bogh was sacked after about six weeks and Szczepanik only survived the season simply because there was no-one else. His final CMA was 2.37 including bonus points. So that worked out well.

Four heat leader standard  riders were allocated to tracks and refused to go. Ole Olsen being the most famous, he was adamant he wasn't going to Hull and the ever enterprising Ian Thomas formulated a lucrative deal with Charles Ochiltree of Coventry for the Dane to complete his move there. The other three were Christer Lofqvist (Wimbledon) and Tommy Johansson along with Hasse Holmqvist (Wolverhampton).  Holmqvist hadn't even indicated he wanted to come back to the UK in 1976, so Wolves ended up using a combination of guests and/or R/R for both riders for the whole season. 

1977 was something of a transitional year which reverted to averages only to determine team strengths, although there was a sort of dying echo carried over from the previous season. Three teams were allowed to use R/R all season for non returnees, these being Hackney for Zenon Plech, Hull for Egon Muller and most controversially of all Dag Lovaas at White City  when you consider how the season panned out. Wolverhampton were granted the facility of either a guest or R/R for Tommy Johansson depending on the averages at any given time. All that was before both Cradley Heath and Leicester were allowed to use a guest for the same rider, John Boulger, for the opening months of the campaign. 

And people think the rules today are mad...  

• Like 2

Also some riders ( foreing ) may find it difficult to get a fix in the uk next season due to flight operators IE easyjet pulling out of some uk airports !! & According to some things I've heard 1 or 2 Danes can't commit to the uk next season

I considered then World Champion Ole Olsen being initially allocated to Hull as being more than cool, sadly Olsen didn't agree ;).  Have to say the man had point as he waited another year at Wolves after asking for a transfer to a bigger track and he said he'd already agreed a deal with Coventry.  I always thought rider control moves seemed to be quite random at times (Jimmy McMillan & Tommy Johansson were moved from Hull to Wolves as part of the Olsen move) but think I read somewhere that the Rider Control Committee was actually made up of a group of the then BSPA promoters, not as I thought the ACU or the then Speedway Control Board.  Think the SCB may have also have been formed out of BSPA members and / or referees, though I'm no defo sure on that one....

Edited by martinmauger
added info, spellin

8 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Also some riders ( foreing ) may find it difficult to get a fix in the uk next season due to flight operators IE easyjet pulling out of some uk airports !! & According to some things I've heard 1 or 2 Danes can't commit to the uk next season

Additionally some foreign riders, including Danes may be uncertain about visa eligibility should there be a hard brexit followed by  an  'Australian style' visa system.

27 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

From Whom though:P

behave - there's a list of British riders clubs may wish to consider if some non UK riders can't come. Surely there's enough Brexiters on here to understand that

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, lewy said:

Self interest! Thats the problem with the management committee in a nutshell 

That’s the problem with speedway in a nutshell. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

That’s the problem with speedway in a nutshell. 

That's the problem in general, in a nutshell. 

• Like 1