British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

A Orlov

23 minutes ago, ch958 said:

as a lifetime watcher of 2nd tier speedway I've never lacked for entertainment

Personally I feel that's the way forward for speedway in this country. An opportunity to re-analyis the grass roots of the sport. I remember my last year watching my team (Oxford) I was dismayed by the number of foreigners in the team of which many were nothing more than average at best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

as a lifetime watcher of 2nd tier speedway I've never lacked for entertainment

That is true. When Wimbledon dropped down, they were some of the most entertaining years watching speedway. But there is a level where they entertainment isn't there. When I first started watching in Germany there was some great races, but some of the novice/junior stuff was dire, with some barely able to turn the bends and people getting lapped etc. On the other hand I really used to enjoy some of the Danish 80cc meetings with Rene Bach, Michael Jepsen Jensen or Mikkel Michelsen for instance. You could see even at that early age they had talent

• Like 1

close racing on a decent track is the product, doesn't make any difference if its 2/3 seconds slower

• Like 5

On 3/26/2021 at 11:40 PM, orion said:

i think his dad passed away .

I personally find that quite ironic

40 minutes ago, iainb said:

I personally find that quite ironic

Why is someone’s dad dying “ironic”?

Surely it’s just plain sad?

I believe he had been unwell for sometime, but of course we don’t know if anything’s happened because Onion was only guessing.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 12:50 PM, ch958 said:

Generally speaking the worst thing about some posters is the unwillingness to accept thats its not 1973 and that the big names won't be back for the foreseeable

I would say the worst kind are posters who have hang up's about top riders and the top league  .. its always been quite odd,  a kind of reverse snobbery .. my league is better that yours .

15 hours ago, orion said:

I would say the worst kind are posters who have hang up's about top riders and the top league  .. its always been quite odd,  a kind of reverse snobbery .. my league is better that yours .

not really, nothing against the top boys/ teams, it's just that it's gone and the alternative, so called lesser riders provide equal entertainment just a second or two slower. The worst kind of posters are the ones who catastrophise this situation.

3 hours ago, ch958 said:

not really, nothing against the top boys/ teams, it's just that it's gone and the alternative, so called lesser riders provide equal entertainment just a second or two slower. The worst kind of posters are the ones who catastrophise this situation.

Of course  they don't  .. better people will always provide better entertainment as the skill levels are higher … lower leagues are  just people out of control most of the time .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, orion said:

Of course  they don't  .. better people will always provide better entertainment as the skill levels are higher … lower leagues are  just people out of control most of the time .

Same riders in both leagues now, the gaps been getting smaller year on year. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, orion said:

I would invite people to agree with you about the third part of the sentence - to me its utterly wrong and anyone who has watched 2nd level racing would agree, 3rd level you might get the odd wobbler. Besides, as i said - the world stars ain't coming back any time soon.

Edited by ch958
  • Like 1

I loved the Premier League as it was back in the day but never got the people who used to claim the Elite League was boring because the heat leaders were miles ahead of the reserves in races etc. it was the same in the PL.

Youd often have the likes of Stonehewer and Carr half a lap ahead of the likes of Nick Simmons and Justin Elkins. 

I think one thing we can all agree on is as the years have gone by and the powers that be have watered down the product, the fans have voted with their feet and stayed away. 

I have said it many times and will say it again, the sport in the UK is nigh on finish and its going to take more than a few rules changes at an AGM to solve it.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Rosco said c2008.......'We have a choice to make, do we continue as it is and end up charging £30 to see the likes of Adams, Crump and Sajfutdinov or do we continue to charge £15 and dumb it down 5% every season', unfortunately the majority on here want 75 meetings a season at £10 and thus the decision was made.

Edited by The Weasel

10 hours ago, The Weasel said:

Rosco said c2008.......'We have a choice to make, do we continue as it is and end up charging £30 to see the likes of Adams, Crump and Sajfutdinov or do we continue to charge £15 and dumb it down 5% every season', unfortunately the majority on here want 75 meetings a season at £10 and thus the decision was made.

Err no.

It was nothing to do with what the majority of fans wanted, just about what they can afford.

12 hours ago, Pinny said:

I loved the Premier League as it was back in the day but never got the people who used to claim the Elite League was boring because the heat leaders were miles ahead of the reserves in races etc. it was the same in the PL.

Youd often have the likes of Stonehewer and Carr half a lap ahead of the likes of Nick Simmons and Justin Elkins. 

I think one thing we can all agree on is as the years have gone by and the powers that be have watered down the product, the fans have voted with their feet and stayed away. 

I have said it many times and will say it again, the sport in the UK is nigh on finish and its going to take more than a few rules changes at an AGM to solve it.

Just wondering if you ever get the chance to get to any speedway in Oz Pinny ?  It always seems to me that the Aussies always manage to breed one or two every year that have the ability and desire to get to the top levels of the sport.

With massive distances between the various speedway areas in Australia the economics of the sport must be very different to the UK, unless they have similar riches to that of Polish speedway.

27 minutes ago, jrs said:

Just wondering if you ever get the chance to get to any speedway in Oz Pinny ?  It always seems to me that the Aussies always manage to breed one or two every year that have the ability and desire to get to the top levels of the sport.

With massive distances between the various speedway areas in Australia the economics of the sport must be very different to the UK, unless they have similar riches to that of Polish speedway.

Not really no, too far away from my base to make the effort besides I am not that interested in individual meetings except the GPs. 

• Like 2