British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

7 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Just what do people expect?

Instant gratification...

I agree with you 100% about years gone by. People go on about Wembley in 1981, but we remember that for TWO races...

• Like 3

Replying to fromafar s quote on smarzlik beating laguta    It s a shame  laguta s no in Manchester riding 

Think bewley will be riding tomorrow. Woffy looked very second hand tonight coughing up blood not good 

6 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Someone once said that Forum sites were where the miseries the world meet up.

He was right.

I was in the south stand and thought the whole spectacle was brilliant apart from the crashes.

Zmarlik alone justifies the entrance fee. What a rider.

Here's a challenge to everyone who thought that meeting was poor. Go on Youtube and find a meeting from the 70's, 80's, or 90's where there is multiple passing in every race and then post it on this forum.

You will search in vain.

This and and premiership plays off's have been represented the best of modern speedway as a spectacle.

I've been watching speedway since the 60's and I'm not sure I've seen anything much better than these last three tv meetings.

Don't think anyone has said it was a poor meeting, far from it, it was exciting, some spectacular passes and you're right about Bartosz, he's on another level to most.  The main gripe is the track prep, riders were forced to go out wide virtually all night, even Bart got in trouble at one point when riding mid track, fortunately he has the skill to correct the move and still romped home.

As good as it was it wasn't a patch on Monday imo, here's hoping tomorrow is at least as good if not better.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nw42 said:

even Bart got in trouble at one point when riding mid track, fortunately he has the skill to correct the move and still romped home.

That's the problem with modern speedway. I don't necessarily think that it's a lack of skill, but with the speeds and the setups, it's just so difficult for riders to react in time.

23 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Someone once said that Forum sites were where the miseries the world meet up.

He was right.

I was in the south stand and thought the whole spectacle was brilliant apart from the crashes.

Zmarlik alone justifies the entrance fee. What a rider.

Here's a challenge to everyone who thought that meeting was poor. Go on Youtube and find a meeting from the 70's, 80's, or 90's where there is multiple passing in every race and then post it on this forum.

You will search in vain.

This and and premiership plays off's have been represented the best of modern speedway as a spectacle.

I've been watching speedway since the 60's and I'm not sure I've seen anything much better than these last three tv meetings.

I couldn’t have said it better myself..I left the meeting today thinking blimey that was good and then I read the forum !….speedway at top level racing wise has actually never been better in my opinion , or at least from the 70’s onwards which is when I have watched from.

• Like 8

With all the passing that happens at NSS, and having been an avid BV supporter since early 60’s/late 70’s, I rate NSS higher then the old Hyde Road.            
I not wanting to take anything away from Hyde Road, it was a brilliant track, but the NSS let’s more riders get into the action.              
If the land offered by Manchester Council had been bigger I have no doubt Chris Morton and partner would have built a copy of Hyde Road. The land offered is restrained so they designed a track with care and attention and came up with a fantastic raceway.

• Like 1

These guys are a different level when racing in meetings like these  they can up their game when needed .

11 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

I couldn’t have said it better myself..I left the meeting today thinking blimey that was good and then I read the forum !….speedway at top level racing wise has actually never been better in my opinion , or at least from the 70’s onwards which is when I have watched from.

Obviously havent seen it on TV but did see lots of replays at the track and it looked like it came across well..

The sheer speed of these lads is remarkable and when watching live the level of "hair trigger" reactions required during a race to win it is truly incredible..

Watching someone riding a foot from the fence, in the dirt,  at that speed cannot be anything but breathtaking.. 

When watching directly down the back straight some of those first lap dices were truly ones in need of watching through your fingers, given the speed and the "lane changes" of so many of the riders...

Truly in awe of some of what these guys can do in (literally) the blink of an eye.. 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, r8gdp said:

These guys are a different level when racing in meetings like these  they can up their game when needed .

Would just have been nice to have had Laguta, Sayfutdinov, Lindgren etc...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chunky said:

Instant gratification...

I agree with you 100% about years gone by. People go on about Wembley in 1981, but we remember that for TWO races...

I agree too.The meeting today was good,not quite as good as Monday but still good imo.Even the league racing is still decent.People that moan about meetings nowadays are the ones who no longer attend and they always come out with the line speedway was always better 20,30,40 years ago.I have looked through many meetings from years gone by and back then there were many strung out races and pretty boring meetings tbh.As the saying goes "there's none so blind as those who will not see"

• Like 2

With the demise of Eastbourne this was my first live meeting since the British Final and was standing in the South Stand 20m fro Woffinden's crash. How he managed to walk away I am not sure.  Having got back from meeting thought I would check on here to see if any news on riders but to get people  moaning about the racing just amazes me. Possibly not as great as the Grand Final but still a great nights entertainment ...usually sit in grandstand but family were in South Stand and position entering 3rd bend gives you a great understanding + perspective that riders put everything on the line. Some tight tight racing into that bend. 

As expected the Polish look a class above and always thought this would be a race for the minor places. Hope Tai and the Swedish riders are not seriously hurt as they were serious soil samples. 

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KIRKYLANE said:

can anyone provide the time for heat 21?

Not certain what he said…please clarify if posssible

10 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I agree too.The meeting today was good,not quite as good as Monday but still good imo.Even the league racing is still decent.People that moan about meetings nowadays are the ones who no longer attend and they always come out with the line speedway was always better 20,30,40 years ago.I have looked through many meetings from years gone by and back then there were many strung out races and pretty boring meetings tbh.As the saying goes "there's none so blind as those who will not see"

I'm always watching old videos, and I've asked the question on here before - did we REALLY think it was that good back then?