British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

I’m another one who was there and got home started reading all the comments on here and Facebook complaining about the track!

There was some great racing today, really enjoyed it the racing is always better when it’s slick as when it’s grippy you just get fast riders riding round inside and no one can can get near them. Slick track means they have to search for the grip.

Some muppets were saying the track was dangerous and caused the crashes, unbelievable!

It was possibly a little too slick to start off with, that’s because they did 14 heats of practise that finished at 3.15, they were then only allowed 30 minutes to work on the track, so when the meeting started it was like after heat 14 of a normal meeting. Don’t know why practise couldn’t have been earlier!

no practise tomorrow but there is going to be rain in the morning so track will be grippier and then the same people will be coming on complaining again. 

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 3

I'm gobsmacked at people's comments on here... "Processional racing"?! There was passing from heat 1 onwards! There were races with 10, 12 passes in! I struggle to think of 1 race out of the 21 that didn't have at least 1 pass. Incredible. I really hope it didn't come across badly on the tv as some of the racing was sensational tonight. The Poles look a class above and the only way they will lose it is if someone team rides them out of the final. The 2 nasty crashes were both caused by Doyle being so slow! Incredible that all 3 walked away (especially Tai). "Processional" :blink:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ace no.5 said:

I'm gobsmacked at people's comments on here... "Processional racing"?! There was passing from heat 1 onwards! There were races with 10, 12 passes in! I struggle to think of 1 race out of the 21 that didn't have at least 1 pass. Incredible. I really hope it didn't come across badly on the tv as some of the racing was sensational tonight. The Poles look a class above and the only way they will lose it is if someone team rides them out of the final. The 2 nasty crashes were both caused by Doyle being so slow! Incredible that all 3 walked away (especially Tai). "Processional" :blink:

Don't exaggerate, there wasn't one race with 12 passes in it. 

The crashes were caused by riders going for the same ridiculously high line because the track was crap from the start. 

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Can t see anybody stopping the poles they are on another planet 

Any exclusion or retirement in the final and they lose it doesn’t matter how many points they are in front.

I really don’t see why 21 heats cannot decide it, they always seem to over complicate things like the new GP scoring system.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Any exclusion or retirement in the final and they lose it doesn’t matter how many points they are in front.

I really don’t see why 21 heats cannot decide it, they always seem to over complicate things like the new GP scoring system.

Because two days doubles the income from ticket sales I expect. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chunky said:

I'm always watching old videos, and I've asked the question on here before - did we REALLY think it was that good back then?

The only thing i can suggest is that we were all caught up in the atmosphere back then as there were bigger crowds.When there is an atmosphere things seem to be better than what they actually are.

Edited by tellboy
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Noodles said:

The crashes were caused by riders going for the same ridiculously high line because the track was crap from the start. 

Try heat 14. Aus vs Den. Aus were on a 7-2 And ended up as a Denmark 7-2 With all sorts of passing inbetween. That's just one off top of my head.

8 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Don't speak the truth as they'll come for you.

Sweden wiped out, Tai coughing up blood with damaged ribs and a leg as well as Bangs having a lucky escape all up on the ridiculously high line says it all.

2 minutes ago, Ace no.5 said:

Try heat 14. Aus vs Den. Aus were on a 7-2 And ended up as a Denmark 7-2 With all sorts of passing inbetween. That's just one off top of my head.

I've just watched it - 6 passes. What were the other heats where there were 10-12 passes and I'll check those out too? 

The racing was very good, I can understand people's frustration as it was very, very slick and the track being like Monday night would have meant even better racing but it was still a greats nights action. Unfortunately it went a bit awry after the first grade and water, that block of races wasn't great at all with one line but the fence and a slippery mid track but it improved thereafter.

Best wishes to the riders who fell.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Noodles said:

The crashes were nothing to do with the high line don’t be ridiculous. 
They were both caused by Doyle being slow and riders behind ploughing into him, not Doyle at fault though. Woffinden was miles behind  and had plenty of time to shut off the throttle, the Swedish one was caused by both Swedes behind faster then Doyle and both trying to pass him at same time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tellboy said:

The only thing i can suggest is that we were all caught up in the atmosphere back then as there were bigger crowds.When there is an atmosphere things seem to be better than what they actually are.

That's it exactly. As I've said, people long for Wembley Finals, but generally the racing was mediocre at best; we enjoyed the occasion and the atmosphere...

• Like 1

What happened to that outside only line with Fricke getting passed up the inside? How anyone can think this is "Processional racing" is beyond me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The crashes were nothing to do with the high line don’t be ridiculous. 
They were both caused by Doyle being slow and riders behind ploughing into him, not Doyle at fault though. Woffinden was miles behind  and had plenty of time to shut off the throttle, the Swedish one was caused by both Swedes behind faster then Doyle and both trying to pass him at same time. 

Nonsense.  Doyle was slow but for a track that supposedly has so many lines why didn't they just go either side of him?  They were all going for the same line because the track was rubbish, problem was slow coach Doyle was in the way.