British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

40 minutes ago, chunky said:

NOTHING annoys me more than constant misspelling of names - often simple ones (like "Nicky Pederson" or "Lee Richardsson")...

Agreed...The one that upsets me most, as a huge fan of his from back in the day, is "Eric" Gundersen. It's a K, not a C....I know it's a trivial thing, but he's one of the absolute greats of the sport...It's not hard to get his name right :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Agreed...The one that upsets me most, as a huge fan of his from back in the day, is "Eric" Gundersen. It's a K, not a C....I know it's a trivial thing, but he's one of the absolute greats of the sport...It's not hard to get his name right :rolleyes:

It's RESPECT...

The difference between racing last night and most of this years GPs is clear.         
I have already wiped out most of this years GPs from my recorder, some straight after the meeting. Last nights SON has not been wiped out and will no doubt be viewed a number of times during the winter months.         
It doesn’t matter how many overtakes there was in a race, Denmark v Australia has been highlighted. There was a lot of very close racing. That race between Den and Aussie, for the first two laps you could throw a blanket over all four, for the last two laps you could throw a blanket over the first three.

Wembley was a poor race track, a lot of races were spread out. For sure there was good races, but very few would have been like that Den v Aussie race, and others from last night. What made Wembley was the atmosphere, 70,000 plus fans made it a great night.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The difference between racing last night and most of this years GPs is clear.         
I have already wiped out most of this years GPs from my recorder, some straight after the meeting. Last nights SON has not been wiped out and will no doubt be viewed a number of times during the winter months.         
It doesn’t matter how many overtakes there was in a race, Denmark v Australia has been highlighted. There was a lot of very close racing. That race between Den and Aussie, for the first two laps you could throw a blanket over all four, for the last two laps you could throw a blanket over the first three.

Wembley was a poor race track, a lot of races were spread out. For sure there was good races, but very few would have been like that Den v Aussie race, and others from last night. What made Wembley was the atmosphere, 70,000 plus fans made it a great night.

Spot on... 

Last night had plenty of races with plenty of interest...

Not sure when "how much passing there was" became the only barometer of whether a Speedway meeting was good or not, but, as you say, you can have great races which have no passes whatsoever..

Watching riders entering the bends flat out at such terrific speed, constantly swapping lines trying to find grip, with all four often within less than 10 yards of each other was great to watch...

And at an average of £22.50 each for me and my lad per meeting, incredible value for money.. 

Hope the current heavy downpour doesnt make the track too grippy that it becomes like riding on rails on the inside, as that wont be great for the quality of racing..

Last night we had times at circa 65 seconds plus. If the track is grippy there will be a fair few seconds taken off those times by the out of sight winners..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Grachan said:

Second and third place wins the final surely. Isn't that the whole point of the scoring system?

Where are people getting the idea from that a heat win will win the final?

Agreed.

I think it might help though if the basic rules were clearly published in the programme (I acknowledge there is a flow chart on page 10 that assists) or on the SON website as it might help to stop the guessing and confusion.

Talking of the programme the score chart is very poor with no place for recording times or total scores for individual riders. 

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 1

I found it very enjoyable last night.  If you missed the gate you still had a good chance of making up ground. 

Difficult to prepare a track for two consecutive days of racing at this time of year with moisture in the ground and rain around.  Hard slick tracks still provide good racing as we see in  Poland regularly. 

Gutted forTai and the Swedes and yes,  I do believe that Doyle caused both incidents, especially the first one as you see him look behind twice at the approaching Swedes on his outside and he cleverly drifted out to leave no racing room.  As someone said earlier he is replacing Freddie and Pedersen as the rider you don't want to be on the outside of. 

Apart from those incidents, thoroughly enjoyed the close racing and full marks to Tom Brennan and Hellestom-Bangs , they were both superb especially the latter having to take on the whole world of speedway by himself,  he should get a medal for his efforts. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Panthers99 said:

Actually boring to watch this

15 hours ago, nw42 said:

There is some excitement but it's woefully short of what we saw on Monday night, such a shame that they've allowed the track to be made a mess of.

I've just been back and read through the early posts due to the hysteria in the later posts calling for people to be banned from the forum because they thought the racing was no good. I can only find 1 post saying it's boring and another saying not as good as Monday.

I think the main gripe was that practice was held so late that it didn't allow for time for the track to be prepped properly like it should have been for a World Championship event. Consequently the track had one line about an inch from the fence. So instead of riders passing inside and out with ease like we saw was doable on Monday evening we saw Desperate Dan kamikaze moves. If the dirt line hadn't been so wide Tai would not have been making that move, we all know he likes a cut back. PHB riding too wide, because it was the only line. Can't remember the Swedes crash but they were also pretty wide. I've seen quite a few meetings at BV over the years and you just don't see crashes, thankfully as it's a blummin fast track. To see 2 big ones in the same meeting and PHB's could easily have ended differently says a lot about the track.

The racing was pretty good, better than you'd see at most places, the track perp on the other hand was a disgrace for a World Championship event. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

Agreed.

I think it might help though if the basic rules were clearly published in the programme (I acknowledge there is a flow chart on page 10 that assists) or on the SON website as it might help to stop the guessing and confusion.

Talking of the programme the score chart is very poor with no place for recording times or total scores for individual riders. 

If you need a flow chart to explain the rules, something is very seriously wrong with your sports with your scoring system

What's the weather doing up there this morning?

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

What's the weather doing up there this morning?

Drizzle now 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

Light rain / drizzle few minutes from the track 

1 minute ago, chun said:

Drizzle now 

Much overnight rain?

Just now, iainb said:

Much overnight rain?

A moderate amount.  Mostly avoided heavy downpours.   Track should be in decent nick by 4

• Thanks 1