British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

Slightly disappointing on the official website in the latest post congratulating team GB on their fantastic win, apart from his picture and name in the scorers, not a mention of Tom Brennen by name. Think 7 out if 8 points from his 2 rides deserved a mention, don't think we'd have qualified for the semis if he'd have scored 0,0.

Although Brennan was unbeaten, GB would still have won if they didn't use an U-21 rider!

Actually Poland would have still top scored with no reserve & Denmark also would have made top 3 with no reserve!

U-21 riders made no difference to top 3!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Pairman said:

As neither the BSPL Chairman or Vice-Chairman thought the biggest speedway event held in Britain this year worthy of their attendance, it’s no wonder that the belated press release - nearly 14 hours after the event was completed - gets it wrong. 

Having overseen the near collapse of the NDL, the league that was one of the things that helped all four of the GB riders find their way in the sport, they should now bow their heads in shame and walk away.

The disastrous last few years, with problems accelerated rather than caused by Covid has shown that vested interest in decision making is dragging British speedway down the road to ruin. 

The new GB Team operation shows what can be done with skill, initiative, forward planning and total commitment. They deserve to be supported by people who understand about sport at the highest level and what it takes to be successful.

Spot on Gordon Pairman and the point about vested interest is worth mentioning again, until we have people with integrity and complete honesty the sport in this country will continue to get worse.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Paleco said:

Winner is, who score 3rd most points.B) Great advertise for speedway.

Rugby League, which is by far better supported than speedway, always have play-offs in each of their 3 divisions.

And it isn't guaranteed that the top team win the trophy.......as indeed St.Helens RLFC did this year after being second in their lg table..teams lower than that have won the final in the past.

It makes for a popular and exciting season's finale.

G.B. did of course enjoy some luck in the final race...but they'd beaten Poland in Heat 3 so fair does.

Incidentally I think I'm correct in saying that the 4,3,2,0 speedway pairs format was the brainchild of the late, great, promoter Ian Thomas who introduced it to the second division pairs event so many years back.....and his Comets outfit loved it.

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

Slightly disappointing on the official website in the latest post congratulating team GB on their fantastic win, apart from his picture and name in the scorers, not a mention of Tom Brennen by name. Think 7 out if 8 points from his 2 rides deserved a mention, don't think we'd have qualified for the semis if he'd have scored 0,0.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

GB finished 15 points ahead of Australia. Even if Kai Ward had ridden he'd have scored 4 points (both Brennan's races were against a single Swede). That would still have allowed us to squeeze into the semis by a mere 11 points.

But you can't fault Tom Brennan, and he certainly delivered under pressure in his Sunday ride, and like you I am underwhelmed by the speedwaygb coverage of our victory.

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Although Brennan was unbeaten, GB would still have won if they didn't use an U-21 rider!

Ok, ok I was wrong, but hopefully it was the catalyst for Gordon's excellent post:)

4 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Rugby League, which is by far better supported than speedway, always have play-offs in each of their 3 divisions.

And it isn't guaranteed that the top team win the trophy.......as indeed St.Helens RLFC did this year after being second in their lg table..teams lower than that have won the final in the past.

It makes for a popular and exciting season's finale.

G.B. did of course enjoy some luck in the final race...but they'd beaten Poland in Heat 3 so fair does.

Incidentally I think I'm correct in saying that the 4,3,2,0 speedway pairs format was the brainchild of the late, great, promoter Ian Thomas who introduced it to the second division pairs event so many years back.....and his Comets outfit loved it.

Did they beat the Poles on Sat though.;)

I still don't like the scoring system though. For me speedway is about winning. 

Why don't we have 4320 in league speedway if it's about 'the team'? 

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Unbelievable result in the Final!

However, what impressed me the most was the fact that 'we' beat arguably the form team of the day (Denmark) in a nerve jangling Semi-Final....

Our young HEROES showed incredible bottle/nerve and there was no luck involved, just pure 'CLASS'!

P.s I would have been tempted to rest Lambert/Bewley in the 'nothing' final race against Australia...just in case ? (especially with Doyle in the race).

I actually thought that, give Brennan another ride (in place of Lambert), also give Lambert time to clean his bike / cool his clutch etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I still don't like the scoring system though. For me speedway is about winning. 

Why don't we have 4320 in league speedway if it's about 'the team'? 

I made that comment last year & got laughed at for my suggestion! If the pairs is 4-3-2-0 to encourage team riding / the best team rather than the best individual, why isn't every team match 4-3-2-0?

• Like 1

The disappointing thing about the U-21 rule is after the heroics of Bewley to come in & win on the second day, he'll probably be dropped for 2022!

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

GB finished 15 points ahead of Australia. Even if Kai Ward had ridden he'd have scored 4 points (both Brennan's races were against a single Swede). That would still have allowed us to squeeze into the semis by a mere 11 points.

But you can't fault Tom Brennan, and he certainly delivered under pressure in his Sunday ride, and like you I am underwhelmed by the speedwaygb coverage of our victory.

I think that the BSPL dont have any input anymore to Team Great Britain do they? 

If that is correct....

It probably goes a long way in explaining the success last night...

• Like 3

Just now, lucifer sam said:

What is?

The World Cup returns in 2023 and will held every three years.

The Speedway Of Nations will still operate in the other seasons. 

Can't believe the moaning on here. GB win for the first time in 32 years and people still find something to moan about. :rolleyes: :D

Apologies I have misunderstood what I read.Irrespective of who wins its I don’t think it is well thought out format,even the semifinals. Crowds were poor at Semi finals perhaps needs a revamp.

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Apologies I have misunderstood what I read.Irrespective of who wins its I don’t think it is well thought out format,even the semifinals. Crowds were poor at Semi finals perhaps needs a revamp.

The whole idea of SON was to allow a lesser nation the chance to win, it works 

• Haha 2