British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

13 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Regarding those that say we were lucky? Tell me what was lucky about losing one of the best riders in the world on day one?

Tell me...what losing one of the best riders in the world on day one has to do with the final race...I will continue to say  that the British were lucky because Lambert and Bewley benefited on Janowski's misfortune.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PolskiZuzel said:

Tell me...what losing one of the best riders in the world on day one has to do with the final race...I will continue to say  that the British were lucky because Lambert and Bewley benefited on Janowski's misfortune.

That wasn't Janowski's misfortune.  That was a mistake that the rider made.

Tragic really ;)

• Like 6

10 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

. Poland were far the best team and should have been crowned champions. Rather silly that the team scoring way more than any other  team only come second

The scoring system in SoN and its whole procedure is crazy. Can you imagine a football world cup final finishing in 3 : 0 for one team...and then to decide who is to be crowned world champion referee decides to have a penalty shoot out...Can anyone imagine this? because I can't, and yet in Speedway of Nations we have exactly this. Those who invented this  should have their heads examined.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Madsen was trying to slow the race down, the commentators only noticed on final bend but he actually started slowing down off 2nd bend last lap but should have thought about it before then.

I watched the interesting bits again, original live showing not the highlights. Yeah, Madsen was slowing down exiting bend 2. Better view of Janowski fall too, from high over the back straight. Got caught in the very heavy (probably sloppy) dirt at the bottom of the air bag which sucked him in.  Still stupid place to ride, Bewley was nowhere.

Now watched day 1 too Lebedevs was much more like I expected that showing. Berge was better but Bellego not as good as day 2. Aussies, Doyle especially, below par both days.

Was Madsen the only rider to beat Zmarzlik over two days?

19 minutes ago, Col said:

I watched the interesting bits again, original live showing not the highlights. Yeah, Madsen was slowing down exiting bend 2. Better view of Janowski fall too, from high over the back straight. Got caught in the very heavy (probably sloppy) dirt at the bottom of the air bag which sucked him in.  Still stupid place to ride, Bewley was nowhere.

Now watched day 1 too Lebedevs was much more like I expected that showing. Berge was better but Bellego not as good as day 2. Aussies, Doyle especially, below par both days.

Was Madsen the only rider to beat Zmarzlik over two days?

Yip regarding Madsen.Smarzlik was on cruise control most of the meeting.IMo.

• Like 1

Were GB lucky ?  Yes, to an extent, on this occasion, but you need at least some good fortune to succeed.  Peeps seem forget for years most GB team managers mostly didn't play with a full deck, literally.  Joking aside over a longish period (2000 or so on) the GB squad was made up from the likes of Scott Nicholls, the late Lee Richardson, Mark Loram, Chris Louis, Carl Stonehewer, Joe Screen, Gary Havelock, David Norris, Sean Wilson, Simon Stead, Chris Harris, Tai Woffinden, the list goes on - a squad to kick serious behind on any track.  But at any one time at least one or two of them were on the injured list.  In recent years Woffinden was unavailable (his business, it happened) and was also out injured, unfortunately two of the remaining riders (Cook & Lambert) collided like Sweden did on the Friday night; effectively game over.  When Woffinden also crashed out on Friday nite I thought, said and texted "oh no, not again !".  But the next nite a ready-made replacement squad member stepped in; "Dan Bewley come on down and prepare for the meeting of your life !", and we all saw what happened.  The remaining 3 stepped up, took the opportunities that occured, rode their hearts out, delivered - and how.  Ok, Bewley rode his home track & the other 2 were at least familiar with Belle Vue NSS, but it was the same for everyone of course and the Poles in particular must have been rubbing their hands with glee on seeing the track; a Polish-style circuit in the UK.  With due respect to the experienced GB riders, it was still possible for any them to suiffer falls, crash out big-style, tape exclusions, machine problems, etc, we all know what can happen in speedway, especially after witnessing their captain and leader get ruled out by a well-nasty crash.  When Woffinden recovers + add Lambert, Bewley, Brennan and the likes of Drew Kemp, Leon Flint, The Thompson Twins, etc waiting in the wings the future for GB looks a heck of lot better than of late. 

This is our time right now, we have waited long enough, enjoy it is my advice, for next year everyone starts all over again.  One last point: the GP series carries accumulated points scored through the season, replacing the one-off World Finals of old, yet the current SON format guarrantees a 'winner takes all race', like a one-off World Final....

• Like 3

22 hours ago, idanthyrsus said:

Not sure I saw it that way.  From what I saw, Janowski went very wide on the 3rd bend.  There was no need to as he was miles ahead of Bewley.  He went so wide he couldn't turn the bike, so slowed down and then the front wheel bogged down in the mud.

Zmarzlik was well ahead and going faster, so Janowski would never have caught up with him.

Who knows what riders think when they make that split-second decision though.

Yes he got caught out by the muck against the fence which imo should be pulled down by track rakers, they are even more important now we have air fences!

8 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

These things happen m8 ..... all teams knew the rules. GB are World Champions :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

It's not luck...it's Polish incompetence !

• Like 1

The scoring system in SoN and its whole procedure is crazy. Can you imagine a football world cup final finishing in 3 : 0 for one team...and then to decide who is to be crowned world champion referee decides to have a penalty shoot out...Can anyone imagine this? because I can't, and yet in Speedway of Nations we have exactly this. Those who invented this  should have their heads examined.

Its the way speedway is these days. A team can ride all season and finish top of the league with ease has one bad meeting in the play offs and after a full season of hard work wins sod all. In the GP a rider can finish on a 15 point max have a poor semi/final and not top score/ win the meeting. Same with the SON its just the way it is you just have to just get over it.

Magic was Tragic all day, end of.

Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap Tragic Janowski :rofl:

Edited by iainb
  • Haha 1

What losing one of the best riders in the world has to do with the final race is that GB still managed to get there, beating Denmark in the semis and then repeating their earlier defeat of Poland in the final. That in itself was quite an achievement.

Luck didn't come into it. Magic messed up the corner after trying to copy Bewley's line from a previous race. That's a part of racing. Dan would probably have still beaten him anyway. He would have been the one rider in that race who saw what happened with Janowski so obviously made the decision to safely hold his place while the other two carved lumps out of each other.

• Like 2

I'll ask again... why was Freddie Lindgren not riding in the competition? Does anybody know, has it been stated in the press? I was following his van back up Hyde Road after the meeting on Sunday.

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'll ask again... why was Freddie Lindgren not riding in the competition? Does anybody know, has it been stated in the press? I was following his van back up Hyde Road after the meeting on Sunday.

Freddie is suffering from long covid and stopped riding after last gp.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/2021/10/08/freddie-lindgren-struck-down-by-long-covid/

• Thanks 1