British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

14 minutes ago, Badge said:

Freddie is suffering from long covid and stopped riding after last gp.

I suppose it makes a change from long season.

7 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Were GB lucky ?  Yes, to an extent, on this occasion, but you need at least some good fortune to succeed.  Peeps seem forget for years most GB team managers mostly didn't play with a full deck, literally.  Joking aside over a longish period (2000 or so on) the GB squad was made up from the likes of Scott Nicholls, the late Lee Richardson, Mark Loram, Chris Louis, Carl Stonehewer, Joe Screen, Gary Havelock, David Norris, Sean Wilson, Simon Stead, Chris Harris, Tai Woffinden, the list goes on - a squad to kick serious behind on any track.  But at any one time at least one or two of them were on the injured list.  In recent years Woffinden was unavailable (his business, it happened) and was also out injured, unfortunately two of the remaining riders (Cook & Lambert) collided like Sweden did on the Friday night; effectively game over.  When Woffinden also crashed out on Friday nite I thought, said and texted "oh no, not again !".  But the next nite a ready-made replacement squad member stepped in; "Dan Bewley come on down and prepare for the meeting of your life !", and we all saw what happened.  The remaining 3 stepped up, took the opportunities that occured, rode their hearts out, delivered - and how.  Ok, Bewley rode his home track & the other 2 were at least familiar with Belle Vue NSS, but it was the same for everyone of course and the Poles in particular must have been rubbing their hands with glee on seeing the track; a Polish-style circuit in the UK.  With due respect to the experienced GB riders, it was still possible for any them to suiffer falls, crash out big-style, tape exclusions, machine problems, etc, we all know what can happen in speedway, especially after witnessing their captain and leader get ruled out by a well-nasty crash.  When Woffinden recovers + add Lambert, Bewley, Brennan and the likes of Drew Kemp, Leon Flint, The Thompson Twins, etc waiting in the wings the future for GB looks a heck of lot better than of late. 

This is our time right now, we have waited long enough, enjoy it is my advice, for next year everyone starts all over again.  One last point: the GP series carries accumulated points scored through the season, replacing the one-off World Finals of old, yet the current SON format guarrantees a 'winner takes all race', like a one-off World Final....

Good post, plus Adam Ellis.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why didn't I think to check the Shropshire Star :rofl:

Thanks for the info (and Badge)

:D

I read it somewhere else but couldn't remember where, possibly the SGP website? Bizarrely when I googled him that was the first site that came up :blink:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

:D

I read it somewhere else but couldn't remember where, possibly the SGP website? Bizarrely when I googled him that was the first site that came up :blink:

Google? How does that work then? 

:lol:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why didn't I think to check the Shropshire Sta:rofl:

Thanks for the info (and Badge)

I can't imagine how you missed it either. 

For Shropshire Star read Express & Star, for Express & Star read Wolverhampton, For Wolverhampton read Wolves Speedway, For Wolves Speedway read Freddie Lindgren.

Simple really .:t:

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

I can't imagine how you missed it either. 

For Shropshire Star read Express & Star, for Express & Star read Wolverhampton, For Wolverhampton read Wolves Speedway, For Wolves Speedway read Freddie Lindgren.

Simple really .:t:

... Or just ask the forums... better than Google!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, martinmauger said:

collided like Sweden did on the Friday night; effectively game over.  When Woffinden also crashed out on Friday nite I thought, said and texted "oh no, not again !". 

Good post enjoyed reading ta.....................but your actually on wrong night/nite marra. (was Saturday/Sunday event)

7 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Good post enjoyed reading ta.....................but your actually on wrong night/nite marra. (was Saturday/Sunday event)

Better than being 20years out though eh...marra:cheers:

The rules are set.

why have a semi final and then a final ?

Simple, it guarantees that Tv  and the crowd gets a climax at the end of the meeting in exactly the same way as in the GPs have a Grand final race to decide the champion.

I agree that we were helped by Janowski’s  mistake..but the same would have been true if the roles had been reversed.

It was great to see GB get a world team title.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I'll ask again... why was Freddie Lindgren not riding in the competition? Does anybody know, has it been stated in the press? I was following his van back up Hyde Road after the meeting on Sunday.

He lent his van to Thorssell 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Better than being 20years out though eh...marra:cheers:

Yeah for sure marra

12 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

The scoring system in SoN and its whole procedure is crazy. Can you imagine a football world cup final finishing in 3 : 0 for one team...and then to decide who is to be crowned world champion referee decides to have a penalty shoot out...Can anyone imagine this? because I can't, and yet in Speedway of Nations we have exactly this. Those who invented this  should have their heads examined.

Your World Cup analogy is fundamentally flawed - a team could win their qualifying group without conceding a goal, scoring double figures in every game - they then reach the finals. They play through a group and continue to score freely and score maximum points to make the last 16. They win this game and the quarter and semi finals all without conceding a goal - yet in the one off final game they meet a team who have been lucky to get there and lose the World Cup on penalties - does anyone apart from the sore losers look back and say 'Yes but.....?'

12 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

Tell me...what losing one of the best riders in the world on day one has to do with the final race...I will continue to say  that the British were lucky because Lambert and Bewley benefited on Janowski's misfortune.

Oh booohooooooooo!!!!! Wasn't misfortune....he misjudged the 'speed' of Smarzlik in front and panicked...own error not misfortune 

Edited by hagonshocker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

Oh booohooooooooo!!!!! Wasn't misfortune....he misjudged the 'speed' of Smarzlik in front and panicked...own error not misfortune 

GB were worthy winners,but all this criticism of Janowski is pathetic,he is total World class made a small error and suddenly he is useless and a bottler.Get a grip. Did Tai not make a small error on the 1st day.

Anyway ,best wishes to Tai for speedy recovery.

• Like 3