British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

13 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Brilliant again from Kai Huckenbeck  ... Never quiet done it in the uk 

He's not ridden  here for four years, has developed nicely in that time.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

He's not ridden  here for four years, has developed nicely in that time.

Why wasn't Erik Riss named in the squad?

34 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

Why wasn't Erik Riss named in the squad?

Good question but if it was a serious competition all the best riders would be in it, as it is it’s barely watchable.

Slovenia’s chances of making the final was ended when Zagar didn’t ride, Laguta and Sayfutdinov wouldn't ride for the money on offer apparently and that was after winning it 3 times.

The track last night was nearly as bad as Friday, what a dreadful advert for a FIM event, following on from the GP Chellenge.

Shocking that all the teams made a show about naming riders and then Italy didn’t even have a reserve, it came across very amateurish.

Edited by bigcatdiary

People talk about what's on offer in the UK doing damage to speedway but what we e been served up at times in the GP's and SoN this year have arguably been worse because of the wider audience. It wont happen buy it really is time international speedway went back to its roots and starts choosing the best race tracks for the big meetings, we have enough of them across Europe for every round and event to be a good spectacle. 

40 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

People talk about what's on offer in the UK doing damage to speedway but what we e been served up at times in the GP's and SoN this year have arguably been worse because of the wider audience. It wont happen buy it really is time international speedway went back to its roots and starts choosing the best race tracks for the big meetings, we have enough of them across Europe for every round and event to be a good spectacle. 

The thing is not many tracks want to host this sort of meeting. Can’t say anything about the first night, but the crowd yesterday wasn’t much to write home about and the hosts were riding

The format of multiple days was always a bit iffy, and relied often on the hosts being present.I would say most countries apart from maybe GB are extremely patriotic and not just speedway fans in general

27 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The thing is not many tracks want to host this sort of meeting. Can’t say anything about the first night, but the crowd yesterday wasn’t much to write home about and the hosts were riding

The format of multiple days was always a bit iffy, and relied often on the hosts being present.I would say most countries apart from maybe GB are extremely patriotic and not just speedway fans in general

I think they said that there were Covid restrictions.

Should all be done in one weekend. Friday night 16 pairs in a knockout to qualify for finals day, Saturday afternoon bottom 8 race of for places 9th to 16th.  Saturday evening 23 heats (plus semi(s) and grand final) to crown the winners.  Home nation guaranteed to appear on both days but, as stated earlier, use proper race tracks please.

No U21 reserves but only allow one permanent reserve swap. i.e. once someone has been swapped out their meeting is finished. 

People are saying that proper race tracks should be used, but based on other meetings I have seen from there, Daugavpils IS a proper race track.

I have never seen it in such an awful condition as it was this weekend. The league meetings this year have had far better conditions.

I know that many years ago I was moaning about the dull racing at a GP in Daugavpils that had just happened. I was told by a former rider who had been there that when they arrived at the track on the Friday morning it looked brilliant and they were expecting a great GP...then the BSI team got to work on the track. Did the same thing happen this weekend??

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1

In fairness Henry there was a SEC round a few years ago from there and the racing was incredible.

• Like 1

When an FIM meeting isn’t fireman Phil in charge of track preparation??

When BV had the final 2016 the Friday night the track was too grippy, NKIverson got the track record but racing was useless. From what I heard it was not the BV track staff that directed the track preparation. I assume the Saturday night the BV track staff were involved because it was slower but great racing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

When an FIM meeting isn’t fireman Phil in charge of track preparation??

Just exactly how do you "prepare" concrete for racing? :(

It was t a concrete top on Friday night, someone said strip it.   It that is not what I was referring to. So,some, who obviously “knows” the track says it usually is a good race surface, so something was different Fri and different again Saturday.

On 9/18/2021 at 2:46 AM, HenryW said:

I think you might have got a bit carried away with a love of Hungary or some nostalgia there...
Zoltan Adorjan made it to the World Final three times, 1985, 1989 and 1990. His best finish was 14th (15th and 16th for the other 2).
Sandor Tihanyi made it to the World Final once, in 1988. He finished 15th. 
I think Antal Kocso is the Hungarian that has actually had the best World Final result so far with his 11th in 1988, but I'm not convinced by my memory there, so wait to be told about some better Hungarian...
However, the mid to late 80s seemed like a good time for Hungarian speedway. 

What I meant was there always seemed to be at least one Hungarian in the World Final.

• Like 1

2nd Event was safer, but less interesting to watch, shame USA were in first semi would have been a better tussle for top 3 had they been involved.  Latvia & France progressing means there are a couple of decent spoilers in the final, but no more than that.

What's happened to Bogdanovs, Kostigovs & Puodžuks for Latvia?

• Like 1