British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

1 hour ago, andout said:

Cannot get over the negative crap on here.......Britain won fair and square, get over yourselves and enjoy a rare British win!

Correct we just played the set out rules the best. No different to our playoffs really, did enough to get in the semi finals, then it's always game on for all teams left in it.

18 minutes ago, idanthyrsus said:

Yeah, I guess its why it's called a Team event and not an individual event.

The final was all about Janowski, Zmarzlik had looked almost untouchable all weekend, so GB needed to pack out the minor places, which is what we did.  To finish first, first you have to finish.

Yes, you're right.

In the past a Best Pairs event )which this effectively was) would be won by a 'Star' rider getting 16/17/18 points with a back up getting around 10 points - that would be enough for victory, but this system of 'avoid getting a last' encourages a more consistent second rider to win - and we did it very well.

Well done Team GB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idanthyrsus said:

Yeah, I guess its why it's called a Team event and not an individual event.

The final was all about Janowski, Zmarzlik had looked almost untouchable all weekend, so GB needed to pack out the minor places, which is what we did.  To finish first, first you have to finish.

IMO it was Zmarzlik who lost the Poles the final. He drifted wide cutting off Janowkis’ run around the outside. Janowski has rolled off to avoid contact but he was in the dirt by then and as we saw rolling off in the dirt is never a good idea. It’s a pairs event and Zmarzlik should have had been looking for where his partner was rather than racing his own race.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Where’s Woffinden?

Getting treatment on his injuries

4 hours ago, Pirate Nick said:

IMO it was Zmarzlik who lost the Poles the final. He drifted wide cutting off Janowkis’ run around the outside. Janowski has rolled off to avoid contact but he was in the dirt by then and as we saw rolling off in the dirt is never a good idea. It’s a pairs event and Zmarzlik should have had been looking for where his partner was rather than racing his own race.

There is a time when your surrounded by aligators you can forget that your job was to drain the swamp.

• Like 1

I love how in 2021, what was the most ridiculous system in 2018, is now the perfect way to decide the SON.....   :D

• Like 5

In the Grand Prix,  a rider can scrape through to the semis with 8 or 9 points, come second in his semi and then win the final to be a Grand Prix champion… These are the rules.

Team GB won fair and square. Excellent prtformance and result.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:42 PM, bigcatdiary said:

Any exclusion or retirement in the final and they lose it doesn’t matter how many points they are in front.

It’s got to be magic. Lol

Just woke up,had to watch the final race again to make sure I hadn't dreamt it.What a night I love it,just love it.Get in there boys,will some of those have sore heads this morning:D:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I love how in 2021, what was the most ridiculous system in 2018, is now the perfect way to decide the SON.....   :D

It still is a ridiculous system. 

But Russia were rightful winners AND GB are rightful winners.

• Like 1

Unbelievable result in the Final!

However, what impressed me the most was the fact that 'we' beat arguably the form team of the day (Denmark) in a nerve jangling Semi-Final....

Our young HEROES showed incredible bottle/nerve and there was no luck involved, just pure 'CLASS'!

P.s I would have been tempted to rest Lambert/Bewley in the 'nothing' final race against Australia...just in case ? (especially with Doyle in the race).

Edited by GiveusaB

8 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

Yes, you're right.

In the past a Best Pairs event )which this effectively was) would be won by a 'Star' rider getting 16/17/18 points with a back up getting around 10 points - that would be enough for victory, but this system of 'avoid getting a last' encourages a more consistent second rider to win - and we did it very well.

Well done Team GB

Spot on...

It is effectively a "Best Pairs' event rather than a "Best Rider" event.

Coming last delivers you zero points, meaning to be successful 'the team' needs to avoid doing it..

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

A thought came to me of all those fans who missed the night

Well one person, Phil Rising, who was as patriotic as the next. He would have loved the moment

I noticed his name was on the inside of a handlebar cover yesterday 

• Like 2