British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Unfortunately, a lot of the competing countries don't have 4 capable riders at that level....

Certainly didnt feel sorry for the Poles !

Regarding those that say we were lucky? Tell me what was lucky about losing one of the best riders in the world on day one?

We weren’t lucky. Stay on your bike in a final. Thought Dan was a more than capable replacement for Woffy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Apologies I have misunderstood what I read.Irrespective of who wins its I don’t think it is well thought out format,even the semifinals. Crowds were poor at Semi finals perhaps needs a revamp.

And the NSS was a sell-out for both days of the final.  But that's positive, so you won't mention that, because you just want something to moan about.

How about just focusing on this:

GREAT BRITAIN WON!  :party:

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Just now, lucifer sam said:

And the NSS was a sell-out for both days of the final.  But that's positive, so you won't mention that, because you just want something to moan that.

How about just focusing on this:

GREAT BRITAIN WON!  :party:

Well done to the Brits.It was a great 2 days racing.Obviously You just need a moan today AT ME, feel free:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

SON 2022

SPEEDWAY OF NATIONS RUN IN ESBJERG IN 2022
OCTOBER 1, 2021 BY ESBJERG VIKINGS
NEWS
Next year, Granly Speedway Arena will form the framework for an innovative format, where as many as four races will be run on the same track in the same week. This makes Esbjerg the first host city for the world's largest event within speedway.

A very special speedway summer is planned in Esbjerg in 2022, when the world elite will occupy Granly Speedway Arena for most of a week. It happens in the World Championships for couples (Speedway of Nations), where both semi-finals, the U21 final and the final itself are run on one and the same track for the first time, which makes it a unique event. With a large number of the world's best riders gathered in the new format, there is the prospect of an event that will receive significant international attention.

- We are proud that together with Esbjerg Motorsport we have succeeded in attracting an event of the caliber that is of great importance not only for Esbjerg Municipality, but for the entire area. There will be guests from the rest of Denmark, but also from both participating nations and a number of other countries, which of course helps to show what we have to offer. We get a fantastic exposure on Discovery's channels, including especially Eurosport, and these are the kind of events that help to put Esbjerg and the entire Destination Wadden Sea coast on the map, says Mayor Jesper Frost Rasmussen (V), who believes that it can pave the way for several major races.

- A distinguished piece of work has been done, where Esbjerg Motorsport has also drawn on a large, international network, which helps to make this possible. We hope that this will be the starting point for more international races to find their way to Esbjerg in the coming years, says Jesper Frost Rasmussen. As a host city, Esbjerg also has a number of qualities that make it interesting for the new format, which Discovery has high expectations of.

- We are pleased that in collaboration with Esbjerg Motorsport we can bring one of the biggest events in FIM Speedway to Esbjerg, a region with a strong fan base for speedway. The new Speedway of Nations format, with a one-week event on a track in the last week of July, gives fans a unique opportunity to gather on Denmark's west coast to support their national team. Discovery Sports Events will give fans a unique experience and make Speedway of Nations something special, where there will be many activities during the day, and good racing each of the four evenings. As part of our long-term commitment to investing in the sport's future from grassroots to professional level, FIM Speedway of Nations (SON) will, for the first time, bring together the world's best drivers with the most promising U21 drivers when semi-finals and finals take place on same arena. We look forward to celebrating a new era with FIM Speedway of Nations in Denmark next year, says Francois Ribeiro, Head of Discovery Sports Events.

Speedway party for a whole week

For Esbjerg Motorsport, a large number of practical measures await to be ready for the upcoming event, as there are requirements for far more seats and an upgrade of other spectator facilities, but that challenge is welcome.

- It will of course be a fantastic task for us as a club when we can invite to a speedway party for a whole week, and we are proud that Granly Speedway Arena will pave the way for the very first edition of such a speedway event. It's completely unique, and with the new format, it's in many ways the biggest tournament there is. It is the result of the long-term strategy we have created to upgrade our entire organization, and in the coming years we will use this as a lever, so that in the future we can also host other major races. This can be done due to our dedicated volunteers, benevolent sponsors and not least support from Esbjerg Municipality, says Lars Guldager Dyhr, director of EMS Elite, which is the professional part of Esbjerg Motorsport, which with its proud history has previously formed the framework about big races.

- We are the oldest club that has speedway on the program here in Denmark according to NERI's historical committee, so in a way the sport returns home to its Danish cradle. Now it is our task together with Esbjerg Municipality to make sure that we create a good home for not just Speedway of Nations, but also upcoming races, because that is what we have worked for. It requires improved facilities, and it should, of course, elevate the viewing experience in general. It is a proud day in the club's history, and we look forward to a hopefully long-term collaboration with Discovery and Esbjerg Municipality, which has also been a driving force in relation to achieving this, says Lars Guldager Dyhr.

Facts:

FIM Speedway of Nations will be run in the last week of July 2022 at Granly Speedway Arena in Esbjerg.

It is the first time that both semi-finals, U21 final and the final itself are run on the same track. Thus, this is the biggest speedway event

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevehone said:

Getting treatment on his injuries

My post wasn’t a dig but a genuine question. I saw his crash the night before but expected him to be at the stadium as a mentor/cheerleader. Perhaps do a John Terry and slip on his Kevlar for the presentation. I didn’t think he was so injured as not be able to attend.

Hope he gets well soon.

• Sad 1

I have just read that press release again and have found out that in 2022 it looks as if the final is now  over 1 day and the FIM world U21 team final(SON format) will be held in  Esbjerg presumably the day before the SON final. 

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

My post wasn’t a dig but a genuine question. I saw his crash the night before but expected him to be at the stadium as a mentor/cheerleader. Perhaps do a John Terry and slip on his Kevlar for the presentation. I didn’t think he was so injured as not be able to attend.

Hope he gets well soon.

Sounds like he was texting advice to the riders via their mechanics during the meeting.

When he mentioned he'd coughed up blood when interviewed on Saturday, I thought that didn't sound too great. Probably needs a lot of rest at the very minimum.  

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hope he gets well soon.

Such a shame he had to miss being there yesterday, if it weren't for his stance a few years ago we almost certainly wouldn't have the excellent set up we now have with Team GB, can only echo your words, get well soon Tai, you're a World Champion again.

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

What is?

The World Cup returns in 2023 and will held every three years.

The Speedway Of Nations will still operate in the other seasons. 

Can't believe the moaning on here. GB win for the first time in 32 years and people still find something to moan about. :rolleyes: :D

I'm sure you can believe it! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hope he gets well soon.

When the adrenalin wears off, the pain kicks in.          
It was said last night, Simon Stead I think it was, that after the meeting on Saturday night and before he left the stadium Woffy was in lots of pain and could hardly walk. He is having scans Tuesday.

3 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

As neither the BSPL Chairman or Vice-Chairman thought the biggest speedway event held in Britain this year worthy of their attendance, it’s no wonder that the belated press release - nearly 14 hours after the event was completed - gets it wrong. 

Having overseen the near collapse of the NDL, the league that was one of the things that helped all four of the GB riders find their way in the sport, they should now bow their heads in shame and walk away.

The disastrous last few years, with problems accelerated rather than caused by Covid has shown that vested interest in decision making is dragging British speedway down the road to ruin. 

The new GB Team operation shows what can be done with skill, initiative, forward planning and total commitment. They deserve to be supported by people who understand about sport at the highest level and what it takes to be successful.

Agree totally with Gordon P here!

Sadly, in it's current guise there isn't any real prospect of British Speedway going anywhere but even further downhill (not that it can sink much further).

Yes, there are some good people with the right intentions currently serving as promoters - but the last 2 Chairs aren't/weren't fit for purpose internally and more importantly externally.    But until the majority of promoters finally agree that we need an independent body running the sport domestically, then there is no real hope for change.  

Let's give Rob Painter and his team the accolades they deserve today though!  

• Like 3

A speedy recovery for Tai hopefully, but for me it was brilliant to have the group Team GB photographs without tattoos!!  (Just a personal view ;))

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Did they beat the Poles on Sat though.;)

Did when it mattered most.............and I loved it, and was proud a former Comet helped.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

It’s being scrapped after next year which is a blessing IMO.

Why?

7 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Why?

No S O N shoud have play offs and finals. Should have been 42 heats and that's it. Poland were far the best team and should have been crowned champions. Rather silly that the team scoring way more than any other  team only come second

• Like 1