British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2021 finals Sat/Sun 16th/17th Oct- FINALS START AT 4PM BOTH DAYS

1 minute ago, OveFundinFan said:

We got another evening of rubbish tomorrow, only one super strong team tomorrow so racing between the others might be interesting. 

Tonight, Czechia came equal last. They used to be better then that, but even Malik is a shadow of where he was 3 years ago, just when the shout was put him in the GP’s. Someone on here the other day was suggesting newcomers to the GP’s should be given 3 years to prove themselves. Yes, Milik would have added something to the GP’s - boredom.

Czechs didn`t come equal last- BSI on the caption said they beat Slovenia, which  of course they didn`t and they finished 7th and last !!!

15 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Czechs didn`t come equal last- BSI on the caption said they beat Slovenia, which  of course they didn`t and they finished 7th and last !!!

They also said the meeting was at "Duagavpils", wherever that may be...

46 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Track reminded me of a GP at Gothenburg when the track was so badly rutted after only a few heats. 

They postponed and ran the next day but it was still far from ideal. 

Was thinking the same, that or the really bad Cardiff track

Dunno what has happened to Daugavpils track since I visited 3 years ago, was decent then and have usually enjoyed the racing from there when watching it on TV but that was awful.  Gonna be even worse tomorrow, they can't rectify that mess in 20 hours.  Believe track was reasonable until 17:30 local when practice took place, which damaged it, no time to fix it.  Let's hope they can get it in a state to practice on over night & practice is early.  Aussie's will win by a country mile, Latvia should get second spot.  God knows on the others, Grobauer will barely rev his engine faced with that, Castagna might enjoy it, Perry Barr wasn't quite that bad when Kent/Leicester visited but it wasn't far off.

"just a little question why do riders lift their leg off the peg coming out of the bend s  tonight it seemed to be causing them problems"

I suspect their soiled pants are sticking to the seat! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Falubaz said:

Panint drying = Peterborough... Tough choice

EoESg has issues but not the track.  Looking forward to life without Dudek & visiting Gdansk for a festival of dull racing in 2022?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, r8gdp said:

Poland Denmark Australia Sweden and Britain should be seeded straight to the final let the other nations contest the semi with the top 2 going into the final are is that too simple lol

You can't do that, didn't Latvia eliminate Denmark in Denmark a few years ago - back when it was Speedway World Cup?  Imagine if the next bright young talent is Italian (for example), you've got to give the rider opportunity & experience against the best riders.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Tonight, Czechia came equal last.

Sándor Tihanyi & Zoltán Adorján used to make the World final every year in the late 80's haven't heard of a Hungarian rider for years.  Same can be said of Norway.  And New Zealand dominated for a period before my time.

2 minutes ago, Col said:

You can't do that, didn't Latvia eliminate Denmark in Denmark a few years ago - back when it was Speedway World Cup?  Imagine if the next bright young talent is Italian (for example), you've got to give the rider opportunity & experience against the best riders.

Sándor Tihanyi & Zoltán Adorján used to make the World final every year in the late 80's haven't heard of a Hungarian rider for years.  Same can be said of Norway.  And New Zealand dominated for a period before my time.

Robert Nagy had a good British career in the 90s (92-96) including riding for my team Long Eaton in '96.

That was until Roman Matousek nearly killed him at Sheffield, I was there that night & Matousek wasn't bothered about the consequences of deliberately slamming Robert into the 1st bend fence. :nono:

1 hour ago, PirateShip said:

Robert Nagy had a good British career in the 90s (92-96) including riding for my team Long Eaton in '96.

That was until Roman Matousek nearly killed him at Sheffield, I was there that night & Matousek wasn't bothered about the consequences of deliberately slamming Robert into the 1st bend fence. :nono:

I remember Nagy, Long Eaton & Matousek. Think I saw Nagy ride once - at Loomer Rd I think, went to Long Eaton once  Saw Matousek many times, he wrestled his bike around a track rather than rode it - always exciting at Dudley Wood & Brandon, quite scary at Monmore. Didn't visit Owlerton until early naughties, so never saw him there 

3 hours ago, Col said:

I think you might have got a bit carried away with a love of Hungary or some nostalgia there...
Zoltan Adorjan made it to the World Final three times, 1985, 1989 and 1990. His best finish was 14th (15th and 16th for the other 2).
Sandor Tihanyi made it to the World Final once, in 1988. He finished 15th. 
I think Antal Kocso is the Hungarian that has actually had the best World Final result so far with his 11th in 1988, but I'm not convinced by my memory there, so wait to be told about some better Hungarian...
However, the mid to late 80s seemed like a good time for Hungarian speedway. As a nation on the other side of the "iron curtain" they had comparatively good access to "Western" equipment and seemed to have good support in their home Nation...then the "iron curtain" fell and the financial situation in Hungary collapsed.
In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, Jozsef Tabaka seemed like the best prospect from Hungary since Robbie Nagy, but sadly he didn't quite make it.

• Like 1

@Col

Rune Holta is/was Norwegian then he took out Polish citizenship so does that make him Norlish?! :party:

He's about 95 years old now! :rofl:

Edited by PirateShip

If anyone thinks that the Daugavpils track is always rubbish ? take a look at a few races from this European U 23 team final from 3 weeks ago. It had rained heavily overnight and the track was superb and produced some great racing. I said at the time i hoped the track man would now know what to do !! Sadly he didn`t remember a thing !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=nPFqkD6-Pn8&fbclid=IwAR3s1UikcftVbIJmwWHQdGuUKq9Gm7m5UYFC-XuuxesCfTu_HvBaVUQvM0s

Well, R&R, if heavy rain makes a good track Fireman Phil can go to town on the track overnight (assuming it’s not going to rain) and get it watered.

I just hope for the final at BV he keeps his nose out. It was probably someone with bad knowledge that messed up the BV track for the World Cup in 2016

6 hours ago, HenryW said:

I think you might have got a bit carried away with a love of Hungary or some nostalgia there...
Zoltan Adorjan made it to the World Final three times, 1985, 1989 and 1990. His best finish was 14th (15th and 16th for the other 2).
Sandor Tihanyi made it to the World Final once, in 1988. He finished 15th. 
I think Antal Kocso is the Hungarian that has actually had the best World Final result so far with his 11th in 1988, but I'm not convinced by my memory there, so wait to be told about some better Hungarian...
However, the mid to late 80s seemed like a good time for Hungarian speedway. As a nation on the other side of the "iron curtain" they had comparatively good access to "Western" equipment and seemed to have good support in their home Nation...then the "iron curtain" fell and the financial situation in Hungary collapsed.
In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, Jozsef Tabaka seemed like the best prospect from Hungary since Robbie Nagy, but sadly he didn't quite make it.

In 1989 Hungary finished ahead of Poland in the World Team Cup:

8th Hungary

9th Poland

10th Italy

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/wtc89.htm

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

If anyone thinks that the Daugavpils track is always rubbish ? take a look at a few races from this European U 23 team final from 3 weeks ago. It had rained heavily overnight and the track was superb and produced some great racing. I said at the time i hoped the track man would now know what to do !! Sadly he didn`t remember a thing !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=nPFqkD6-Pn8&fbclid=IwAR3s1UikcftVbIJmwWHQdGuUKq9Gm7m5UYFC-XuuxesCfTu_HvBaVUQvM0s

There was a meeting there a few years back, maybe a SEC round, that was the best meeting I've ever seen.

Maybe someone on here remembers that meeting and can post a link.