British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikebv

No Government Support?

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

Well the government did stop spectators attending. 

Here's me thinking it was silly rules, doubling up and the Golden Double.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Here's me thinking it was silly rules, doubling up and the Golden Double.

Apparently the money announced are ‘loans’ and maybe the sport/clubs didn’t want to take out loans or they didn’t pass the strict loan criteria. Either way still think its another kick in the teeth for speedway.

No statement yet from the British Speedway press office regarding this apparent snub for the sport when even greyhounds (and all the animal welfare issues associated with them) get a handout. Did speedway even make a submission for funding? No one seems to be saying.

• Like 1

Did the BSPA not have a parliamentry lobby group? Wasn't there pics of a few promoters at a junket in Westminster a couple of years ago?

3 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

It was said on Talk Sport that it was for winter sports

I heard that but it doesn't make much sense does it?

Lots of the sports are summer eg Rugby League or indoors, eg Ice Hockey...

It was also mentioned that it is a loan rather than a hand out... (?)

Dan Roan on 5Live also mentioned it being for winter sports :blink:

3 hours ago, wealdstone said:

All I am saying is Government does not have an inexhaustible supply of money.  Yet most are demanding government funding for just about everything

You could have fooled me ...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

You could have fooled me ...

Some (not me :)) would say all too easily Blu ;)

• Haha 1

Not why and who would get the money and second who and how would they pay it back

11 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Apparently the money announced are ‘loans’ and maybe the sport/clubs didn’t want to take out loans or they didn’t pass the strict loan criteria. Either way still think its another kick in the teeth for speedway.

If this money is a loan then I guess speedway is in no position to pay it back given given the financial state of the sport and lack of income both though the turnstiles and via sponsorship 

Based on preliminary figures, motorsport will receive £6m of the funding distribution which will be shared across the owners of major circuits including Silverstone, Goodwood, The British Automobile Racing Club (BRDC) and MotorSport Vision.

https://www.crash.net/other/news/948792/1/motorsport-get-6-million-government-coronavirus-rescue-package

No surprise to see the money going to the "toffs" sports of RU and horse racing, they always look after their own despite the propaganda of "levelling up"

Perhaps British speedway should tell the govt it has links to the Tory party, has discovered a vaccine for this virus, found a shedfull of PPE (tear-offs), or a ferry company with no actual boats. Cut and paste terms and conditions from a takeaway website.

They'll hand over cash like there's no tomorrow. No questions asked, nudge, nudge... wink, wink.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1