British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikebv

No Government Support?

I believe there is another 'pot of money that Speedway can, (with other similar ranked sports) apply for, and that one Minister was overheard today saying that he did admire that "Young Tie Woffingham chappie", so all isnt lost.. 

I also have heard that some of the best Parliamentary Lobbyists are on the case pushing Speedways cause, and indeed have already got the sport up to the third highest ranking on the new list..

Just behind Kabbadi and Ten Pin Bowling...;)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

VERY true. 

The truth is both Chapman and Godfrey were in charge at bspa and I’m told blew well over £500k on Ill thought out daft ideas and the infamous engine project.
You are right that the sport was bust before the Covid virus and it’s not a big surprise that the government is not offering a bail out loan. 

Edited by Speedtiger

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Sky once gave the sport tens of millions and you only have to look at the sport in the UK today to see just how well that was used....:(

Exactly this, the first Sky deal was in 1999 and plans should have been put in place back then to safeguard and develop speedway. People point fingers at recent chairmen but the rot was starting to set in and money was being squandered way, way before that. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

I believe there is another 'pot of money that Speedway can, (with other similar ranked sports) apply for, and that one Minister was overheard today saying that he did admire that "Young Tie Woffingham chappie", so all isnt lost.. 

I also have heard that some of the best Parliamentary Lobbyists are on the case pushing Speedways cause, and indeed have already got the sport up to the third highest ranking on the new list..

Just behind Kabbadi and Ten Pin Bowling...;)

Sorry, it's back in fourth now. Its just been overtaken by tiddlywinks.

Im sorry to say Speedway is a profesional sport run by amateurs..

16 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The sport was knackered long before Covid. At least Godfrey tried to keep the flag flying, when the vast majority did nothing.

You mean the bloke who stopped clubs running on their favoured race nights incase he needed guests for his club? The bloke who was part of blowing £500k on useless engines? The bloke who bought in fixed race nights nearly destroying most clubs? The bloke who played a part in the bulldozers flattening Rye House(a profitable business for nearly 20 years) this week?

if we're praising buffoons like Godfrey and Chapman then the fans and sport deserves all it gets.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

You mean the bloke who stopped clubs running on their favoured race nights incase he needed guests for his club? The bloke who was part of blowing £500k on useless engines? The bloke who bought in fixed race nights nearly destroying most clubs? The bloke who played a part in the bulldozers flattening Rye House(a profitable business for nearly 20 years) this week?

if we're praising buffoons like Godfrey and Chapman then the fans and sport deserves all it gets.

That's the same bloke who is putting as many obstacles,financially, commercially and logistically in place preventing plymouth from competing in the championship 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris said:

I'm not a fan of the dynamic duo in any shape or form. He also had a big part to play in Lakeside's troubled last season. This year however, he did try to keep the sport in the public eye, by running a few meetings.

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I'm not a fan of the dynamic duo in any shape or form. He also had a big part to play in Lakeside's troubled last season. This year however, he did try to keep the sport in the public eye, by running a few meetings.

Oh please do me a favour...the blokes a clueless clown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lewy said:

That's the same bloke who is putting as many obstacles,financially, commercially and logistically in place preventing plymouth from competing in the championship 

In fairness I think you will find it's not a one man show as I understand it the majority of clubs vetoed Plymouth last year he is just the one who has to say it in public because he is the chairman. 
personally I would like all votes to be transparent so everyone can see who voted for what then see who really is pulling the strings . Instead of just blaming the person who announces it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Oh please do me a favour...the blokes a clueless clown.

You like him then!

The real question is in normal circumstances is speedway viable and profitable? Are those who run clubs astute business people or fools and their money who are soon parted? I might be wrong but these are loans and the ability to debt service has to questionable with the majority of clubs. As an organisation, I would not lend the BSPA a penny, it shows no financial acumen or sustainability, has no real apparent financial business planning but can demonstrate a wanton waste of money having misused the Sky funding in terms of allocation including chasing the dream of top riders to fund a flawed business operation. It is an amateur sport in this country and needs to revisit its objectives to make it appealing to a wider audience. Until you have serious business people running the sport, you will be left with what you have today. If the current custodians were serious business operators why are they throwing good money into a loss making cause assuming you believe what is said in the public domain. Speedway is not a financially sound business opportunity with a number of risk factors that would make any would be lender run for the hills. Promoters or club owners come on here with numbers  including audited accounts and prove otherwise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

Run IMO by spivs and wide boys!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

2 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Run IMO by spivs and wide boys!!

In reply to first post speedway is not a professional sport hasn't been for over 10 years , it's an amateur sport run by enthusiasts.

in reply to post 2 do you consider Somerset owner Debbie Hancock a spiv as she is part of the Bspl

1 minute ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

In reply to first post speedway is not a professional sport hasn't been for over 10 years , it's an amateur sport run by enthusiasts.

in reply to post 2 do you consider Somerset owner Debbie Hancock a spiv as she is part of the Bspl

I think most will have their own ideas on that.