British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikebv

No Government Support?

46 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

History has shown speedway is no good with money. It is frustrating the sport hasn't received a cash injection but not surprising.

Being as it’s meant to be a loan, you can see why.

• Like 1

The bail out isn’t anti speedway, it’s titled up as a Winter Sports bailout and the key condition was that to qualify for a payment the Sport must be in its normal season, this is why major sports such as Cricket don’t appear on the list.

I am not saying it’s not wrong that Speedway hasn’t had any money, just explaining why nothing has been allocated tomSpeedway

14 hours ago, Turnleft said:

The bail out isn’t anti speedway, it’s titled up as a Winter Sports bailout and the key condition was that to qualify for a payment the Sport must be in its normal season, this is why major sports such as Cricket don’t appear on the list.

I am not saying it’s not wrong that Speedway hasn’t had any money, just explaining why nothing has been allocated tomSpeedway

No there’s a number of summer sports included in the bail out. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

No there’s a number of summer sports included in the bail out. 

Remember  this money is only a loan and the monies “allocated” for each sport still require individual clubs/organisations  (they who will have responsibility for paying back the loan) to apply for their own individual loan. In doing so one of the criteria they will need to meet is to demonstrate the losses they will make from not having crowds in attendance or similar forms of income such as sponsorship I.e. no event/crowd no (reduced) sponsorship money. They will also need to show how the loan will be paid back. 
The term “winter sport” is a bit of a red herring and only applicable because of the period of time the loans will be available the “winter” months of Dec - March. Clearly some sports operate throughout the year both indoor & outdoors  thus this latter element is not a consideration for the eligibility of applying for a loan. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

Football should not have any Government because if they can run a full season of matches and not get a penny in through the gate and the money that many of the Stars are said to getting for playing    Or are they playing  for next to nothing  I DOUBT IT.   The top clubs must be rolling in cash.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Football should not have any Government because if they can run a full season of matches and not get a penny in through the gate and the money that many of the Stars are said to getting for playing    Or are they playing  for next to nothing  I DOUBT IT.   The top clubs must be rolling in cash.

...but isn't this Government money to various sports organisations LOANS and NOT GIFTS. Loans made because Government realise there is little doubt SUCH MONEY WILL BE REPAID.

Can assurances in a similar vein be made for speedway? I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH!!!

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, John Scrutton said:

...and should be seen to be supporting those in the lower tiers which I believe has been agreed to some extent?

Have you seen the results of how much money Everton are losing?

It runs to hundreds of millions. Whilst we look with envious eyes at the money swishing around in football, expect to see many clubs go bust. That could extend right to the very top of the game too.

22 minutes ago, Notenoughnerve said:

It runs to hundreds of millions. Whilst we look with envious eyes at the money swishing around in football, expect to see many clubs go bust. That could extend right to the very top of the game too.

£139 million loss, being bolstered by £250 million by the owner.

4 hours ago, Notenoughnerve said:

Ridiculous amounts of money banded around in football...trouble is it never filters down to those clubs finding it hard to survive in the lower leagues. Imagine if SKY ever pulled the plug?

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Ridiculous amounts of money banded around in football...trouble is it never filters down to those clubs finding it hard to survive in the lower leagues. Imagine if SKY ever pulled the plug?

Just wait until there is a total ban on Betting Company advertising and sponsorship!!  That is what is funding the Sky/BT coverage.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Just wait until there is a total ban on Betting Company advertising and sponsorship!!  That is what is funding the Sky/BT coverage.

Must admit I did laugh out loud when I heard on the radio that betting companies may be banned from advertising around the pitch and on the shirts...

Not a chance given the literally 100's of millions they pump in to the game and the amount of advertising slots they take up on sports radio and TV...

But remember.. 

When the fun stops, stop...

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Must admit I did laugh out loud when I heard on the radio that betting companies may be banned from advertising around the pitch and on the shirts...

Not a chance given the literally 100's of millions they pump in to the game and the amount of advertising slots they take up on sports radio and TV...

But remember.. 

When the fun stops, stop...

You would think not , but assume people thought the same with tobacco advertising 20/30 years ago? 

• Like 1