British Speedway Forum
Trevor

Stadium Design

11 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

The sun will continue to set at Beaumont Park where its always set - over the present third and fourth bends. Having the starting gate on what is now the back straight will not solve anything apart from the sun being in the riders eyes entering the first bend. The only way the sun could set behind the stand would be if you rotated the whole track 90 degrees clockwise and that would be a very expensive way to solve a problem that only happens if the sun is out in the mid summer months.

I seem to remember reading that the 'new' Wembley stadium was re-positioned as previuosly half the pitch was often in shadow causing problems on occasions?

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I seem to remember reading that the 'new' Wembley stadium was re-positioned as previuosly half the pitch was often in shadow causing problems on occasions?

Given the performances of many of the English football teams at Wembley since the "famous day in 66", it might have been a good idea if the whole pitch had been covered in darkness.:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Given the performances of many of the English football teams at Wembley since the "famous day in 66", it might have been a good idea if the whole pitch had been covered in darkness.:D

I was there. My ticket for the 1966 final cost me 10/6 or 52.5 pence in today's money. But to get a ticket for the final I had to buy a set that included group matches, a quarter final, a semi final and the third/fourth place play off!

• Like 1

I didn't make it to Wembley in 1966, but I did get married earlier that year & it only cost 7/6 for the license .:D

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember hearing Danny Baker talking about the New Den and saying a Feng Shui expert had said that Millwall's poor form was due to the way the stadium was positioned and having blue seats

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I didn't make it to Wembley in 1966, but I did get married earlier that year & it only cost 7/6 for the license .:D

Was it money well spent...:)

1 minute ago, Blupanther said:

1 minute ago, Blupanther said:

Needs permission off the boss before he can answer

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Well i've still got her .:D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

Well i've still got her .:D

Exceptional value for money then...:t:

On 11/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, arnieg said:

Biggest mistake at Leicester (apart from the rubbish track) was the orientation of the track, with the sun setting on the third bend (it should set behind the main grandstand)

Brings to mind Loomer Road, Stoke. Anybody else remember, at certain times of the season, those pauses in racing to wait for the sun to set?

From the first bend at Halifax, there was a view into the pits. Worth arriving early to secure a prime spot. Watching the tinkering helped pass the time between heats.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Brings to mind Loomer Road, Stoke. Anybody else remember, at certain times of the season, those pauses in racing to wait for the sun to set?

From the first bend at Halifax, there was a view into the pits. Worth arriving early to secure a prime spot. Watching the tinkering helped pass the time between heats.

I can recall the time that the Stoke stadium had a visit from the local vandals & it was alleged that they caused £35000 worth of improvements to the place .:D

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I can recall the time that the Stoke stadium had a visit from the local vandals & it was alleged that they caused £35000 worth of improvements to the place .:D

Same thing happened at Cradley

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 4:47 PM, Dave Jones said:

Wembley tickets
England v Scotland
18th June 2021

A close mate of mine has two tickets in a corporate box for this match. He paid £300 each, but he didn't know when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid-19 postponed wedding. 
If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.
It's at Hamilton Registry Office, at 2.30pm. The bride's name is Moira, she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.

• Haha 7

On 11/20/2020 at 2:03 PM, martinmauger said:

Can confirm Newport Queensway Meadows was a well-tidy set up, big shame it is no more.  On building a  new stadium one should also check in which direction the sun sets to aid track prep and avoid possible 'sun breaks'....

There is a problem that in any race riders turn a full 360 4 times, so does that not make the sun issue unavoidable?

21 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

There is a problem that in any race riders turn a full 360 4 times, so does that not make the sun issue unavoidable?

Always a major problem when the sun sets in line with the 1st bend- riders are less concerned on the other bends.

• Like 1