British Speedway Forum
Trevor

Stadium Design

55 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Always a major problem when the sun sets in line with the 1st bend- riders are less concerned on the other bends.

I recall there were problems at Cowley as riders entered the third bend. On occasions meetings were held up to allow the sun to settle.

11 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I recall there were problems at Cowley as riders entered the third bend. On occasions meetings were held up to allow the sun to settle.

I`m sure you are correct- at Smallmead there was an occasional problem out of the 2nd bend with the setting sun- The one stadium that stands out for me was Kings Lynn- always a hold up as the sun was into the 1st bend.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Never a problem for the Swindon riders as always in the shade created by the Cheetahs/Rebels in front

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Always a major problem when the sun sets in line with the 1st bend- riders are less concerned on the other bends.

They are concerned at Leicester as there are often sun breaks due to the affect on the third bend. :neutral:

Various options exist to cope with the sun getting in one's eyes on a speedway track; tinted goggles and / or angling one's head with helmet peak are but a couple.  The sun shon over the 1st bend at the Boulevard (from time to time) and Kelly Moran's stated method was "as you go over the start / finish line and you can't see a thing because of the sun I just count 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi - then I turn left".  Sure seemed to work for him :D....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:41 AM, HGould said:

I liked the old Perry Barr (now One Stop Shopping) because you could walk past Pits on way to Home Straight and watch all the bikes warm up.

Like many Tracks the current PB is hidden but more down to lay out of a Dog Track and lack of access to large part of the venue.

Most places you either can't see or can see from a distance.

I don't think or can't remember anywhere better than Brandon, where provided you could arrive early enough you could get a great high vantage point and look down in to the Pits area. I used to like Halifax too, where you could see in and watch.

Of the other tracks visited in last few years, Mildenhall, Eastbourne, Berwick are ones you can look in to if you stand adjacent and see what's happening during Racing and a few Tracks allow you in to view if you are there early enough.

No excuse really for the purpose built more recent tracks like Belle Vue, Leicester and Somerset for hiding Pits largely away from fans. 

Problem is, and I think this applies at Leicester, local authority-imposed regulations for noise suppression can dictate how open the pits are, and their location and this probably applies especiallly to new stadia or when existing ones want to re-configure?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Never a problem for the Swindon riders as always in the shade created by the Cheetahs/Rebels in front

And they have a big housing estate now to keep the sunlight out...:D

21 hours ago, Big Al said:

Problem is, and I think this applies at Leicester, local authority-imposed regulations for noise suppression can dictate how open the pits are, and their location and this probably applies especiallly to new stadia or when existing ones want to re-configure?

This also applies to Birmingham. Back in the 1950s, the pits were on the first bend, but when the stadium was re-opened in 2007, the  council insisted that the pits be transferred to the opposite side of the stadium for noise reasons; they were also to be sound insulated. The promotion has always allowed fans to go round the pits until 7 o'clock, when the bikes are warmed up.