British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Best/Worst Christmas Songs

2 hours ago, Kester said:

Another big thumbs up for Greg Lake.  I also like McCartney's Wonderful Christmas Time.

For me the worst is Slade, like nails down a blackboard.

Slade’s a bit sentimental for me as I remember it being played at my last primary school Christmas party in 1973.

Having said that, another of my faves then was I love, you love, me love.

Gary Glitter :oops:

Edited by DC2

3 hours ago, Kester said:

For me the worst is Slade, like nails down a blackboard.

How can you not like Noddy? Has a multi decade singing career, gives that up and becomes World Speedway Champion.

• Haha 1

Okay, two of my Christmas favourites that maybe aren't as well known are :

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day - Chet Atkins

and

Remember Bethlehem - Jake Thackray

As far as albums, as has been mentioned, the Phil Spector "A Christmas Gift for You" takes some beating. Some other great ones are:

Twelve Songs of Christmas - Jim Reeves

A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi Trio

Elvis' Christmas Album (the 1970 reissue with "Mama Liked the Roses")

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

Having said that, another of my faves then was I love, you love, me love.

Gary Glitter :oops:

I know exactly how you feel, but "Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas" is also a fabulous song...

11 hours ago, chunky said:

In an attempt to prevent another thread from losing its way, I thought this would be a good time for a new thread.

I know there are some miserable gits out there who don't like Christmas - or at least, Christmas music - but let's see what you do and don't like.

I am a huge fan of Christmas, largely because of some wonderful memories of family times. I like nearly all Christmas music and songs, but I will let you lot start it off. We already have a love/hate situation with "Fairytale of New York", while Steve Roberts loves one of my faves, Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Christmas".

Yes I strongly believe it's about memories of Christmas growing up around family and friends, We used to entertain/bore our families putting on puppet shows (remember Pelham Puppets?) and Christmas songs always went down as favourites. The Wombling Song used to go down particularly well but a hit was always the two puppet witches miming to Slade's massive Xmas hit! Funnily enough mum now tells me that after a few sherries the better the show became...never quite sure how I should take that as meaning? Great memories!

More favourite Christmas hits are "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon and "It's the Most Wonderfull Time of the Year" by Andy Williams plus Dean Martin singing "Silver Bells" and David Essex's "A Winter's Tale" and, of course, Bing's "White Christmas" (also the best Xmas film in my opinion)

Edited by steve roberts

Ahhhh Andy Williams,  who else used to love his Christmas shows?

• Like 2

Favourites..Fairytale of New York, White Christmas and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. Although not technically a Christmas song, I also like Keeping The Dream Alive by Freiheit...Which has a Christmassy feel to it.

Worst..Slade and Wizzard..yuk!

Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis.. Tom Waits 

Edited by pugwash

I like this one and learned it with a choir I belong to. I didn't realise that another (more famous) "group" had done it previously.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIzPF3BfpQ

December Song..George Michael, Merry Xmas Everybody..Slade, Pipes of Peace Macca, Driving Home For Christmas Chris Rea.

Edited by auntie doris

Robbie Williams has recorded this topical xmas song

"All I Wsnt For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" by Spike Jones!

Edited by steve roberts