British Speedway Forum
Henllys

Why is Speedway not recognised?

What sort of income does Speedway generate during winter, that it requires a government loan to see them over the winter? I assume the government looked at what sort of "loss of income" the sport would suffer as a result of there being no sport during winter and decided there would be none.

36 minutes ago, pvm said:

What sort of income does Speedway generate during winter, that it requires a government loan to see them over the winter? I assume the government looked at what sort of "loss of income" the sport would suffer as a result of there being no sport during winter and decided there would be none.

It would be more that there has been a whole previous season with no income and a new season (hopefully) that would require cashflow through the winter to enable to plan for it to happen

42 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It would be more that there has been a whole previous season with no income and a new season (hopefully) that would require cashflow through the winter to enable to plan for it to happen

I suspect some tracks had their most profitable season for years - simply because they didn't have to run all those loss making meetings!

• Like 2

I still think there are other sports that are not named in the list that may be higher up the list than speedway.

Cricket, field Hockey, Cycling, Athletics, Snooker Boxing & Swimming to name a few.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, Henllys said:

What has speedway done not to be allocated any money ?

So far NO money has been announced for Cricket, Cycling, Sailing, Swimming, Athletics, Golf, Gymnastics, Darts, Snooker, Boxing, a myriad of other Olympic sorts, or even any of the Winter Sports, either. So what makes speedway a special case?