British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, OldHawk said:

The Fearless and Spectacular Zenon.jpg

Fabulous image...I was there. He was withdrawn form the rest of the meeting so only saw him complete one race where I think he finished second?

31 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Fabulous image...I was there. He was withdrawn form the rest of the meeting so only saw him complete one race where I think he finished second?

Correct. That picture was taken in Heat 6 at Oxford on July 1st, 1973, in that summer's fabulous International Tournament. The other rider is John Titman. Zenon  had finished behind Jim Airey in his first ride in Heat 4.

• Like 1

definitely one of the all time greats

• Like 1

A super rider and, by all accounts, a smashing fella.

RIP.

• Like 1

A superb rider. Certainly knew how to ride Waterden Rd. Made the Friday journeys from the West Midlands worthwhile. RIP

Remember seeing him in the Pride of the East at Lynn, & he was incredible. Can someone put me out of my misery, & tell me who the other Pole was that night ?

17 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Remember seeing him in the Pride of the East at Lynn, & he was incredible. Can someone put me out of my misery, & tell me who the other Pole was that night ?

Zenon finished third in 1973 with 12 points. Edward Jancarz (7pts) was the other Pole. Anders Michanek and Ole Olsen both scored 13 and Michanek won the run-off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Zenon finished third in 1973 with 12 points. Edward Jancarz (7pts) was the other Pole. Anders Michanek and Ole Olsen both scored 13 and Michanek won the run-off.

Thanks Watcher, am I correct in thinking that it was their first appearance in England ?

1 minute ago, proud panther said:

Thanks Watcher, am I correct in thinking that it was their first appearance in England ?

No, the Pride of the East was at the end of October. Both had ridden in the International Tournament in England that summer.

Sad news.... both  Zenon and Edward Jancarz served  British Speedway well in those early days of Polish riders riding in Britain.

Zenon was a very talented rider.My condolences to his family

• Like 1