British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

The earliest speedway meeting 1928

Reading a biography of the travel writer Norman Lewis, who raced Bugatti cars in the 1920s and 30s.

He also tried his hand at speedway at what was said to be the first meeting in England at High Beech, Epping Forest, in February 1928 before tracks became established at Harringay and White City.

The meeting was said not to have been advertised but it drew a crowd of 25,000 and 42 riders rode in 50 races.

Before his engine “exploded” Norman came last in every race he rode, bar one when “two of the four contestants crashed”. I assume he came second!

No idea how accurate this is!

• Like 1

It may well be true. There are results from the meeting on the Speedway Researcher website but there are gaps to fill and Norman doesn't appear in those results.

42 riders entered on the day in 8 different events, each with scheduled heats, semi-finals and final. In all  50 races were programmed. I do have a few more results than appear on Speedway Researcher (should I send them to you, Tiger Owl?), but nothing like 50 races and in those races that I have records of, there are only about 20 - 25 different names mentioned, leaving something like 20 who don't get a mention. Norman Lewis may well have been one of those.

Oh, just to add, DC, the meeting WAS advertised with posters, in the motor cycle press and in the local press.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, norbold said:

42 riders entered on the day in 8 different events, each with scheduled heats, semi-finals and final. In all  50 races were programmed. I do have a few more results than appear on Speedway Researcher (should I send them to you, Tiger Owl?), but nothing like 50 races and in those races that I have records of, there are only about 20 - 25 different names mentioned, leaving something like 20 who don't get a mention. Norman Lewis may well have been one of those.

Oh, just to add, DC, the meeting WAS advertised with posters, in the motor cycle press and in the local press.

Wow! You know so much!

Were you there??? :rofl:

7 hours ago, norbold said:

Quick question for you Norman... If anyone knows it will be you. What is the exact spot on the map where the first meeting took place? 

Reason I ask is that a few years ago, I took part in a cross country event around Epping Forest (Orion 15 - you get a glass of champagne at the finish!). I only became aware afterwards that it was either at the same - or very close to - the site of the first ever speedway meeting. Have I "raced" on the same hallowed turf? 

53 minutes ago, falcace said:

Quick question for you Norman... If anyone knows it will be you. What is the exact spot on the map where the first meeting took place? 

Reason I ask is that a few years ago, I took part in a cross country event around Epping Forest (Orion 15 - you get a glass of champagne at the finish!). I only became aware afterwards that it was either at the same - or very close to - the site of the first ever speedway meeting. Have I "raced" on the same hallowed turf? 

It's at the back of the King's Oak in what is now the Epping Forest Visitors' Centre. You can still see the outline of the track and the banking.

I well remember being there in February 1968 for the 40th. anniversary event.

10 hours ago, norbold said:

That would be brilliant. I am best contactable through the link on the Researcher site (Matt).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, norbold said:

It's at the back of the King's Oak in what is now the Epping Forest Visitors' Centre. You can still see the outline of the track and the banking.

Thanks Norman. Great. I have compared maps and it looks like I have "raced" there after all. Just wish I'd realised at the time :)

Here You can find the location on google maps.

The Epping Forest Visitors Centre at High Beech is exactly on the site of the former speedway track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

Great stuff!

On 11/28/2020 at 12:20 AM, norbold said:

The meeting was also heavily advertised in the Daily Mirror the week leading up to the meeting. If you have access to the British Newspaper Archive website they also published some terrific photos after the event showing both singles and sidecar action during the day.

Edited by HertsRacer
  • Like 2