British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Seymour Dix

F 1 Today's race

I have no idea how he is (thank goodness) fairly unharmed.  The strength of the car must be staggering, and then he managed to get out of the flames.  You only have to compare today to the accidents of Cevert, Depaillier and others to know that if that had happened at any race pre-1994 he'd be dead.

47 minutes ago, Seymour Dix said:

Anyone see that crash ? Frightening,  Grosjean is one lucky guy 

Looked horrendous. The fireball was bad enough, but when you saw that the car was cut in half too...

I'm guessing the car is an insurance write off.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Also, thank goodness for the halo, looking at the way the car went under the barrier.  So make that any race pre 2018 or whenever it was introduced that he wouldn't have survived.

Edited by Kester

Long, long time since I've seen a fire like that - and it was immediate! Grosjean did great to get out as quickly as he did, because as they said, nobody could have got in there to get him. The medical staff did a great job.

1 hour ago, Kester said:

I have no idea how he is (thank goodness) fairly unharmed.  The strength of the car must be staggering, and then he managed to get out of the flames.  You only have to compare today to the accidents of Cevert, Depaillier and others to know that if that had happened at any race pre-1994 he'd be dead.

...and Roger Williamson which was a particularly harrowing accident despite the valiant efforts of fellow driver David Purley in attempting to rescue him from his burning car.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, screm said:

And he walked away 

One lucky fellow.

Just consider, the front half of the car, with Roman on board, disappeared through the armco and was then consumed in a huge ball of flame. The halo no doubt save his life, no question. How Roman managed to release himself from the car and climb over the barrier surrounded by burning fuel is truly astounding. And the courage of the medical staff and stewards is to applauded.

A really shocking incident which was so nearly a real tragedy. A huge relief that we're not talking about a very different result.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kester said:

Also, thank goodness for the halo, looking at the way the car went under the barrier.  So make that any race pre 2018 or whenever it was introduced that he wouldn't have survived.

If it wasn't for the halo his bonce would have landed 10 yards away.One lucky teddy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...and Roger Williamson which was a particularly harrowing accident despite the valiant efforts of fellow driver David Purley in attempting to rescue him from his burning car.

Whilst the race carried on around them...

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Whilst the race carried on around them...

Remember watching it on TV...awful scenes.

Amazing how track staff were so quick and on the ball considering you wouldn’t expect such a crash on that side of the track, hence no tyre barrier to soften the blow. There will be an investigation, will be interesting to hear the result.

Last night I turned to watch only the crash, to see how RGrosjean managed to stay alive, didn’t watch the  actual race. I know what Hamilton is doing is making history and in the best car, but for a good few years now F1 has become so boring I really only interested in the start and the finish, the start is where a race can be won or lost. So many races where the top 3 at the finish is very much how they started. So they try to break up a race by making tyre changes so important, meaning a race can be won or lost by what goes on in the pit lane. Something wrong somewhere. Is it the engine, the chassis, the body/aerodynamics.... so many variants and if a team has the money they can buy the best designing/development brains going, to give them the fractions of a second that makes the difference between winning and losing. Big shake up needed, but it won’t come.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kester said:

The car going through the barrier like that also reminded me of the awful accident that killed Helmuth Koenigg in 1974.

The horrendous outcome.of that crash demonstrates all too clearly the benefits of the halo system.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Amazing how track staff were so quick and on the ball considering you wouldn’t expect such a crash on that side of the track, hence no tyre barrier to soften the blow.

The marshals actually seemed relatively slow to get there with fire extinguishers and turn them on the fire, although in fairness they may have had to get from their marshal post. It was the medical chase car that was on the scene first, with its driver getting there first with the extinguisher.

There was also some bloke in the back seat who seemed to casually get out, then suddenly only then notice the car was in flames, before going and getting another extinguisher out of the boot. :D

I was thought it was poor and dangerous design that a metal barrier should be protruding outwards into the potential path of a car, whether on the other side of the racing line or not. You can never underestimate where a car might end-up, especially in an open wheeled formula on a straight where it might clip another car at high speed.

Someone has slipped up on the track safety there IMO. 

• Like 2