British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

What a difference in stadiums

Yesterday (Sunday) I followed with some interest the TV coverage of the football. What especially impressed me was the appearance and standard of the stadiums - even those of the lower level clubs.

They were impressive and far exceed so far as I saw anything that British speedway has to offer - even when the so-called 'magnificence' of the national stadium at Manchester is touted. As I judged things speedway's top offering is a very long way behind what the mainstream football clubs have.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

Hi John, hope you are well. Yes, but to be fair, the state of speedway's stadiums has been discussed many times on here, for all the years since I joined this forum. While speedway remains in the doldrums, that isn't going to change. I imagine the watchword for British speedway at the present time, is survival! :( 

• Like 1

I know of a rich man who has a nice house and a poor man who has a not so nice house. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Hi John, hope you are well. Yes, but to be fair, the state of speedway's stadiums has been discussed many times on here, for all the years since I joined this forum. While speedway remains in the doldrums, that isn't going to change. I imagine the watchword for British speedway at the present time, is survival! :( 

Yes and has often been said that speedway more often than not takes place in stadiums that are not owned by the relevant promotion whereas as in football the scenario is very different.

• Like 1

I Heard- Stock Cars also have crap stadiums. Nothing to be compared with F1

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes and has often been said that speedway more often than not takes place in stadiums that are not owned by the relevant promotion whereas as in football the scenario is very different.

A great comment steve roberts. It well ties up the reasons for the basic point of the matter I raised.

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

A well designed observation Ray Stadia. One that I fully accept in response to my opening Post.

I always felt that with the NSS they had a blank piece of paper and that’s the best they could come up with ? When you see something like Toruń or gorzow or even Łódź which are very basic in design but very effective and creates their own atmosphere even when you walk into them when they empty they give you a sense of a special place ,the NSS doesn’t do that, 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I always felt that with the NSS they had a blank piece of paper and that’s the best they could come up with ? When you see something like Toruń or gorzow or even Łódź which are very basic in design but very effective and creates their own atmosphere even when you walk into them when they empty they give you a sense of a special place ,the NSS doesn’t do that, 

They did have a blank piece to start but it was still within the confines of what was already in place around it, the track was always going to take precedence and as you know they got that absolutely right.  I imagine the rest was down to space available and financial constraints, there is room to upgrade it if ever the need arose but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

A lot of lower level football stadiums are not owned by the clubs!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

Actually, Ipswich Town football stadium is owned by the council.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

Football attracts/receives grants and/or loans (in response to the Taylor Report?) to the best of my knowledge but I'm happy to be put right?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Actually, Ipswich Town football stadium is owned by the council.

Not sure but isn't the Ipswich motorsport stadium - speedway and oval track car racing - also council owned? I think that the present main stadium tenants -  Spedeworth Motorsport - are there on a 100 year agreement (or something akin to that).

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Not sure but isn't the Ipswich motorsport stadium - speedway and oval car racing - also council owned? I think that the present main stadium tenants -  Spedeworth Motorsport - are there on a 100 year agreement (or something akin to that).

I dont think the council has any involvement

The land and stadium freehold was/is owned by local family concerns. As you say now on long term lease to Speedeworth

35 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Not sure but isn't the Ipswich motorsport stadium - speedway and oval car racing - also council owned? I think that the present main stadium tenants -  Spedeworth Motorsport - are there on a 100 year agreement (or something akin to that).

I think there is some kind of legal protection/tie-in for the stadium. I believe some of the locals would love to see the stadium go, but it is fairly well protected. 

• Like 1