British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

What a difference in stadiums

3 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Łódź stadium is only slightly bigger capacity than Belle vue and is rarely over half full but has that wow factor about it, Belle vue is nice but no wow about its design 

Who, in this country, wouldn't give his right arm to be watching his weekly fix in a NSS type stadium? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Who, in this country, wouldn't give his right arm to be watching his weekly fix in a NSS type stadium? 

Guess who hasn't seem 'live' UK speedway since 2005 - the last visit on a stadium recognised as one of the best for speedway. I'll keep my right arm thank you!

50 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Me, great track but stadium does nothing for me, hence the only time I go is when I’m working there  either mechanic or other job, think I’ve been once just to watch 

The NSS looked great when it was full for the SWC a few years ago...

In fact, stadiums look a hell of a lot better when full....

Speedway's stadiums look much worse given you see how many are in disrepair due simply to the lack of people hiding the issues...

Fill them, which delivers a great atmosphere, and the lack of shiny new facilities wouldn't be an issue for a great many..

• Like 4

4 hours ago, iainb said:

I think the land that Leicester is built on is owned by the council and out on a 99 year lease

But the stadium is owned by David Hemsley!

2 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Me, great track but stadium does nothing for me, hence the only time I go is when I’m working there  either mechanic or other job, think I’ve been once just to watch 

Given the confines that were in place , ie space & finance, i think we should be extremely grateful that we have the NSS as it stands. I don't see any other areas of the country where anything any better is proposed currently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

The NSS looked great when it was full for the SWC a few years ago...

In fact, stadiums look a hell of a lot better when full....

Speedway's stadiums look much worse given you see how many are in disrepair due simply to the lack of people hiding the issues...

Fill them, which delivers a great atmosphere, and the lack of shiny new facilities wouldn't be an issue for a great many..

Agree.  The NSS, when full, is magnificent, and the track provides entertainment second to none.

Plymouth Speedway Stadium might not match Arsenal's Emirates football ground, but I'd rather watch Speedway at Plymouth than Football at Arsenal.

Having said that, Berwick Speedway is at least as good as Berwick Rangers football stadium.   Poole Speedway is much better than Poole Town FC stadium.

I'm sure we'd all like to have more state-of-the-art Speedway stadiums, but money talks, and you have to live within your means, and enjoy what you have.    After all some people have rich lives and move to Mayfair, while others are stuck in Penge.

45 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Agree.  The NSS, when full, is magnificent, and the track provides entertainment second to none.

Plymouth Speedway Stadium might not match Arsenal's Emirates football ground, but I'd rather watch Speedway at Plymouth than Football at Arsenal.

Having said that, Berwick Speedway is at least as good as Berwick Rangers football stadium.   Poole Speedway is much better than Poole Town FC stadium.

I'm sure we'd all like to have more state-of-the-art Speedway stadiums, but money talks, and you have to live within your means, and enjoy what you have.    After all some people have rich lives and move to Mayfair, while others are stuck in Penge.

Always enjoyed my visits to Cowley and Swindon and Eastbourne on a warm Sunday afternoon. White City and Wimbledon were different again but personally what was happening on track was my priority in those days.

4 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You’ve got a serious problem Dean with your eyes...you can't see clearly as they are full of green envy.
Be interesting to know your favourite UK stadium and why?

5 hours ago, False dawn said:

or even in a field with porta loos and if you are lucky , a burger van !   i would give my left thingy for any of that ....... .

19 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

You’ve got a serious problem Dean with your eyes...you can't see clearly as they are full of green envy.
Be interesting to know your favourite UK stadium and why?

It’s not envy, I just feel with a blank piece of paper and the money spent it is very underwhelming, it doesn’t say wow when you see it , take a look at Łódź new stadium, it’s fairly basic in design but looks amazing,, I think Ipswich since they had the extra stands because it reminds me of a bowl like odsal 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Wow factor costs money, Polish speedway has more money to spend on stadia, well done Belle Vue for building a superb stadium with the money they had and still to  have pay I believe .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

It’s not envy, I just feel with a blank piece of paper and the money spent it is very underwhelming, it doesn’t say wow when you see it , take a look at Łódź new stadium, it’s fairly basic in design but looks amazing,, I think Ipswich since they had the extra stands because it reminds me of a bowl like odsal 

Do you know what the build cost was of Lodz new stadium ? 

Sorry, being lazy.  Just found it. Circa 50milliom zloty

Edited by Sir Sidney
Updated

21 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Do you know what the build cost was of Lodz new stadium ? 

Sorry, being lazy.  Just found it. Circa 50milliom zloty

A tad over a million pounds. Did that include the cost of the land or just the build?