British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

What a difference in stadiums

7 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I'll take your word for it that that might be the case. I know that was the case last season but I'm sure I'd read that they were talking about moving back to the Ricoh again. 

There have been "discussions" but the stumbling block is SISU not dropping the legal action against Cov City Council which concerns Wasps getting ACL (the company that operates the Ricoh) on the cheap. It's gone through the UK courts and as now awaiting a decision from the European Court. Any verdict in favour of SISU could impact Wasps, hence why they want the legals dropped. As always in these situations, it's the fans that suffer. The sooner Cov's owners sell up, the better for the club.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Plus Foxhall has The Massif to help create the atmosphere ;):)

donald trump has one of those , its called a cult (not a c""t following)  . 

....Skodaman........

But the stadium is owned by David Hemsley!

.Does he still own it?

Edited by Gemini

On 12/2/2020 at 5:22 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

ARSENAL'S Emirates is very impressive. Hopefully will get to Tottenham's new home next year.

Certainly is, have done the stadium tour with Charlie George.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 3:01 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think even the 6th tier of English football - i.e. National League North/South - gets better average attendances than anything in British speedway. There's even some teams down in the 8th tier that have attendances that speedway would die for. 

I follow Dulwich Hamlet, the pride of souf London, in National League South, best supported club, averaging over 2000 last season, 2019/20. Seen them at Oxford City and Hungerford, around 350 average, Chippenham average around 650, Bath averaged over 1000.

Swindon Robins, probably the best supported speedway club, averaged around 1400-1500 in title winning 2019.

Edited by auntie doris

34 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

According to Dickson, DH is still collecting rent from him

Ah....okay thanks. 

42 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Certainly is, have done the stadium tour with Charlie George.

...another 'crap' player from the seventies!  ;)

Recall the goal that he scored in the 1971 FA Cup Final and celebrating by laying down with his arms out stretched! Another great player.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...another 'crap' player from the seventies!  ;)

Recall the goal that he scored in the 1971 FA Cup Final and celebrating by laying down with his arms out stretched! Another great player.

Yes winning the first Double for the Gunners. They have that statue in club museum. Great character, some great stories from the 70s. Still lives locally in Islington. Didnt ask him about the time he head-butted Kevin Keegan. Was arrested as young Arsenal fan at Peterborough! Not as good as Don Rogers though:rofl::party:

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 3:01 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think even the 6th tier of English football - i.e. National League North/South - gets better average attendances than anything in British speedway. There's even some teams down in the 8th tier that have attendances that speedway would die for. 

National League North 2019-20, average attendances ranged from York City (2,705) to Curzon Ashton (376). Three clubs (Hereford and Chester the others) averaged more than 2,000, 10 (including King's Lynn Town, 1,417, and Boston United, 1,304, communities with speedway links) more than a thousand.

For National League South, the range was Dulwich Hamlet (2,200) to Hungerford Town (334). Seven clubs (including Weymouth, 1,108, a former speedway town) averaged more than a thousand.

The eighth tier contains divisions immediately below the Premier Divisions of the Northern Premier, Southern Premier and Isthmian leagues. A few clubs (going on the 2019-20 averages) will equal or do better than some speedway teams. For example: Bury Town (400), Corby Town (400), Halesowen Town (400), Hastings United (400), Prescot Cables (400), Ramsgate (400), Workington (398), Herne Bay (384), Clitheroe (391), Belper Town (385), Chertsey Town (383), Felixstowe & Walton (373), Melksham Town (363).

Apologies for the detail. Rather bored today!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the track at derwent park was ripped  up so those  (398) people could watch some sunday league teams play football while a new stadium was going to be built with an 8000 capacity for those 398 and maybe a100 extra for the rugby.thankfully a change of council stopped it , but and chances some other promoter might have taken over went with the track.For me a change of rugby  team to the dreaded  "haven " in the future town wont see my money again .

17 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

the track at derwent park was ripped  up so those  (398) people could watch some sunday league teams play football while a new stadium was going to be built with an 8000 capacity for those 398 and maybe a100 extra for the rugby.thankfully a change of council stopped it , but and chances some other promoter might have taken over went with the track.For me a change of rugby  team to the dreaded  "haven " in the future town wont see my money again .

Didn't Comets win everything in sight during their final season - yet struggle to pull in 500 punters? How many thousand spectators did Comets somehow lose between 1999 and 2018? Of course, in speedway's case, we're all guessing because the sport, at club level in Britain, has never released attendance figures. Why is that?

Incidentally, Workington Town Rugby League Club's average attendance for the 2019 season was 1,013. A hundred more than Reds? Fake news.

All west Cumbria's semi-professional sports clubs are poorly supported, partly because of the population's size. Does such a sporting backwater merit a decent stadium?

Mind you, I'm sure the Recreation Ground faithful (Whitehaven Rugby League Club's 2019 average attendance was 1,012) will welcome you with open arms. :-)

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

The last 2 meetings drew crowds over 1000 so the support was still their, and i would argue over those fiqures for town, i used to go and it was never twice the comets crowd.

I sympathise with Comets for being 'left out' of the proposed new Workington stadium. Once again, it's speedway's decades-old problem: too few clubs own the venue at which they race. When you're a sporting tenant, your rights are limited and your prospects at the whim of the landlord.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Didn't Comets win everything in sight during their final season - yet struggle to pull in 500 punters? How many thousand spectators did Comets somehow lose between 1999 and 2018? Of course, in speedway's case, we're all guessing because the sport, at club level in Britain, has never released attendance figures. Why is that?

Incidentally, Workington Town Rugby League Club's average attendance for the 2019 season was 1,013. A hundred more than Reds? Fake news.

All west Cumbria's semi-professional sports clubs are poorly supported, partly because of the population's size. Does such a sporting backwater merit a decent stadium?

Mind you, I'm sure the Recreation Ground faithful (Whitehaven Rugby League Club's 2019 average attendance was 1,012) will welcome you with open arms. :-)

When I went 2004/5 they averaged 1200 both seasons..the days of Stoney and Steady.

Edited by auntie doris