British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Interviews by Lee Ashby - David's Son

Just finished viewing the interview with Hans and thoroughly enjoyed his very laid back reminiscing. A true gentleman and a credit to the sport. Lee has other interviews that can be accessed and I may well have a look at these too.

Edited by steve roberts

Just listening to the John Davis interview...again great stuff and John certainly doesn't hold back! I'd recommend these interviews by Lee Ashby (there's a few others).

Yeh I saw the one with John Davis, will look up Hans Nielsen- anybody else from the sixties to early seventies in this series-e.g. Martin Ashby, Trevor Hedge etc.

• Like 1

Just listened to the Todd Wiltshire interview. Todd came across as very articulate but I knew that already having watched him at Oxford for many years...nice bloke! What was particularly interesting was his views on the one-off World Finals and the GP's.

Also took in the Martin Dugard interview...seems that there are 'issues' with the Dugard family and Martin is no longer involved at Eastbourne or his family's Machine Tools business?

Edited by steve roberts

On 12/1/2020 at 7:19 PM, steve roberts said:

Just finished viewing the interview with Hans and thoroughly enjoyed his very laid back reminiscing. A true gentleman and a credit to the sport. Lee has other interviews that can be accessed and I may well have a look at these too.

Where can I find these interviews? Please.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Where can I find these interviews? Please.

They're on YouTube. Just enter Lee Ashby interviews.

Edited by steve roberts

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Good interview from John Davis,  his straight talking is what  I like.

I did feel that Lee Asnby could have pushed him a bit further on some issues as John was quite happy to speak it as it was.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I did feel that Lee Asnby could have pushed him a bit further on some issues as John was quite happy to speak it as it was.

Was never a fan of him,  thought he was overrated ,but after listening to him it was obvious he liked the Continent for his racing style.It also highlighted the standard of rider he was up against in GB and was overshadowed a bit,he certainly knew how to promote himself  to the Max and had a great career in the sport.I agree with his assessment of how the sport has went in GB.Got the impression he disliked Reg Fearman and after reading his book ,I came to the conclusion that he(Fearman) no interest in Promoting the sport, he was a cash in and get out at most of his ventures.

• Like 1

I saw the one last night with Erik Gundersen. Fantastic. I've enjoyed all of the interviews that Lee has done, and it's great that legends like Penhall & Gundersen are commenting live during the interviews of others as well.

Edited by Gert Handbag
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, Gert Handbag said:

I saw the one last night with Erik Gundersen. Fantastic. I've enjoyed all of the interviews that Lee has done, and it's great that legends like Penhall & Gundersen are commenting live during the interviews of others as well.

Just watched the interview. Erik comes across as a real Gentleman and very humble...I just wish that Lee would expand his questioning technique as there are opportunities to get deep into a particular subject...like Olsen's influence on the relationship between Erik and Hans.

The interview with Ole Olsen was good last night, but unfortunately the link kept dropping out.

I agree on Lee's questions, but he should be applauding on bringing all of the legends onto Youtube. These are people we have probably wondered about, but save the odd interview here or there, have long since disappeared from our lives.

Lee said last night he was lining up a joint interview in the new year with Penhall & Gundersen. I can't wait for that one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gert Handbag said:

The interview with Ole Olsen was good last night, but unfortunately the link kept dropping out.

I agree on Lee's questions, but he should be applauding on bringing all of the legends onto Youtube. These are people we have probably wondered about, but save the odd interview here or there, have long since disappeared from our lives.

Lee said last night he was lining up a joint interview in the new year with Penhall & Gundersen. I can't wait for that one.

Must catch up with the Olsen interview...although I was never a fan of his...but he left a huge mark on the sport.

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Must catch up with the Olsen interview...although I was never a fan of his...but he left a huge mark on the sport.

Interesting interview however Ole conveniently sidesteps the issue with his involvement with Erik Gundersen which basically came down as a 'conflict of interests' being both Erik's mentor and the Danish Team Manager. Apparently during one Pairs Final (possibly 1984?) he had Erik stay at a different hotel to Hans which was purely nonsense and unacceptable. Even Erik after he finished riding said that it wasn't really the done thing and realised that it was wrong. Otherwise a good interview...still don't like him though!