British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enotian

Post Brexit EU qualifying criteria

I see that the FA, EPL and EFL have agreed a points criteria for EU footballers signing for English clubs post 1 January 2021.  I'd imagine the BSPA will need to come up with something similar.

I guess if you get to set your own criteria you could set the bar fairly low?? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, enotian said:

I see that the FA, EPL and EFL have agreed a points criteria for EU footballers signing for English clubs post 1 January 2021.  I'd imagine the BSPA will need to come up with something similar.

I guess if you get to set your own criteria you could set the bar fairly low?? 

There were already established criteria for what constitutes an 'elite rider' for non-EU/EEA riders so presumably they can just be extended to apply to all foreign riders. 

However, how the minimum earnings threshold of GBP 26k plus employer and employee NI surcharges will be met in a sport that essentially operates on zero-hour contracts is anyone's guess.

But surely one of the points of Brexit was supposedly to restrict the number of foreign workers and create opportunities for British ones? Speedway riders can hardly be classed as essential workers, greatly contributing to the economy, nor adding to the cultural wellbeing of the nation.

Why should speedway expect different treatment from any other industry that has difficulty finding workers to do the job? 

It is fine Godfrey will probably make up a list of riders that should meet the criteria and should deserve a place in a team :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, Spl77 said:

I see the line coming from Godfrey 'but this is speedway' 

Ahhh......

The old "catch all" caveat that is applied when all credibility, integrity, common sense and rationale has been totally ignored to implement some specific (up to this point 100% unheard of) "rule"...:D

the criteria is quite strict for non EU riders isn't it? Going to cause real problems for some second strings. Godfrey's list might not look too daft after all.

I can see a points limit drop coming

I'm guessing that you set a criteria which is based on a number league appearances on the continent rather than position in national/state championships like non EU riders.  Even so I imagine it changes the contract discussion dynamics when the pool or riders is restricted. No more bringing in an EU youngster who'll ride for less to benefit their career.

Add the new IR35 rules from April 2021 which could impact on how all riders are paid and there could be some tough negotiations ahead

On 12/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

There were already established criteria for what constitutes an 'elite rider' for non-EU/EEA riders so presumably they can just be extended to apply to all foreign riders. 

However, how the minimum earnings threshold of GBP 26k plus employer and employee NI surcharges will be met in a sport that essentially operates on zero-hour contracts is anyone's guess.

But surely one of the points of Brexit was supposedly to restrict the number of foreign workers and create opportunities for British ones? Speedway riders can hardly be classed as essential workers, greatly contributing to the economy, nor adding to the cultural wellbeing of the nation.

Why should speedway expect different treatment from any other industry that has difficulty finding workers to do the job

You mean like the Football Premier League ?

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

You mean like the Football Premier League ?

The EPL is followed globally and makes a lot of money for UK plc.

The BPL isn’t and doesn’t.

17 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The EPL is followed globally and makes a lot of money for UK plc.

The BPL isn’t and doesn’t.

Same principle but. Desired employees are still welcome here to supplement the best that we have. Both have to be sought and signed, and pass the test of desired employees.