British Speedway Forum
martinmauger

Speedway On The Chase, Kinda

Apologies if already posted but tonite I was told of a question on The Chase TV quiz show; "Which country is 6-times World Champion Ivan Mauger from ?".  The contestant didn't know ;)....

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Apologies if already posted but tonite I was told of a question on The Chase TV quiz show; "Which country is 6-times World Champion Ivan Mauger from ?".  The contestant didn't know ;)....

Sadly perhaps reflects how many of the 'sporting/general public at large' know what speedway is?

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Sadly perhaps reflects how many of the 'sporting/general public at large' know what speedway is?

To be fair Ivan won his last world title over 40 years ago...

Anyone under 45 or so most likely haven't heard of him, even if they have a vague knowledge of Speedway today...

Of non Speedway followers I would suggest Tai Woffinden would get much more of a recognition from the general public than Ivan if they were asked to name a speedway rider..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Anyone under 45 or so most likely haven't heard of him, even if they have a vague knowledge of Speedway today...

Of non Speedway followers I would suggest Tai Woffinden would get much more of a recognition from the general public than Ivan if they were asked to name a speedway rider..

However, the contestant may have a dilemma if the question was about Tai...'hmm, is he Australian or is he British?'.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, martinmauger said:

A friend of mine is one of the question writers (researchers) for this and several other quiz programmes and often throws speedway questions in. He has never seen a live match, owing to distance to the nearest tracks and having a young family, but loves it on TV and will speak with me about it when we meet . He had an action photo of Franky Zorn on his office walls at the BBC in Wood Lane and Ellstree studios so does his bit. Bradley and Mark (The Beast) both are also big, albeit similarly distant, admirers of the sport. As a huge Blades fan maybe the Tigers could look to get Mark along to Owlerton one week when all is up and running again, although I believe he has now moved from the immediate area. He'd love the buffet.    :t:

39 minutes ago, Mr Ore said:

A friend of mine is one of the question writers (researchers) for this and several other quiz programmes and often throws speedway questions in. He has never seen a live match, owing to distance to the nearest tracks and having a young family, but loves it on TV and will speak with me about it when we meet . He had an action photo of Franky Zorn on his office walls at the BBC in Wood Lane and Ellstree studios so does his bit. Bradley and Mark (The Beast) both are also big, albeit similarly distant, admirers of the sport. As a huge Blades fan maybe the Tigers could look to get Mark along to Owlerton one week when all is up and running again, although I believe he has now moved from the immediate area. He'd love the buffet.    :t:

He used to live in Rotherham, dont know if he still does

His link with Utd was that the company that repesents im orused to has links to them

6 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

[didn't mean to multi quote, text editor issues] above probably true, never saw the prog myself as I don't watch quiz shows, just passing on what I was told....

Edited by martinmauger
alledged improvement of grammar

I saw that programme of 'The Chase'.

The contestant did say - Australia.

Sadly fame only lasts so long.

As with all quiz questions, they’re easy if you know them. The question did at least narrow down the options by asking which commonwealth country Ivan was from. 

Brought a smile to my face hearing Speedway mentioned I must say. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

As with all quiz questions, they’re easy if you know them. The question did at least narrow down the options by asking which commonwealth country Ivan was from. 

Brought a smile to my face hearing Speedway mentioned I must say

Woulda dun the same for me too, had I watched it....

7 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Woulda dun the same for me too, had I watched it....

You may be able to watch it on the ITV player. I’ve never used it to go back and watch episodes of quiz shows but would assume they can be found on there. 

Edit: https://www.itv.com/hub/the-chase/1a7842a1665

A link to the episode. 

Edited by Ben91

3 hours ago, The Third Man said:

He used to live in Rotherham, dont know if he still does

His link with Utd was that the company that repesents im orused to has links to them

He moved to the Herefordshire area but, I hear, still has a love affair, with the Blades. I was unaware of the company link, but sounds logical.  On a cottage holiday last year in that area, I wore my Tigers hoodie to a local non league football game and was greeted by a regular home fan who is also an exiled Tiger, and still goes to Owlerton on a regular basis. Small World.     

1 minute ago, Mr Ore said:

He moved to the Herefordshire area but, I hear, still has a love affair, with the Blades. I was unaware of the company link, but sounds logical.  On a cottage holiday last year in that area, I wore my Tigers hoodie to a local non league football game and was greeted by a regular home fan who is also an exiled Tiger, and still goes to Owlerton on a regular basis. Small World.     

I had it on a camp site in Tarragona, where the people opposite, on a small camp site, were from Sheffield and Wednesday supporters as well

• Like 1