British Speedway Forum

If the chat is true that the points limit is going to be lowered I wonder how the fans who have purchased 2020 season tickets which have been rolled over to 2021 will feel paying for a weaker product.  Also if the 2020 riders received their signing on fees and find them self no longer with that team place does this mean that they will have to pay this fee back that was most probably spent on new equipment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snapper said:

If the chat is true that the points limit is going to be lowered I wonder how the fans who have purchased 2020 season tickets which have been rolled over to 2021 will feel paying for a weaker product.  Also if the 2020 riders received their signing on fees and find them self no longer with that team place does this mean that they will have to pay this fee back that was most probably spent on new equipment. 

Hopefully they’ll accept that the world has just been through the ringer and be happy to be able to go back to watch any speedway at their track. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Hopefully they’ll accept that the world has just been through the ringer and be happy to be able to go back to watch any speedway at their track. 

Agree with you on that,,, but am sure there'll still be 1 or 2 where money will still be the most important commodity. 

15 hours ago, snapper said:

If any Team have their declared 1-7 should be allowed to keep it. Their fans have paid good money to see it and their riders they have should not have to pay back if forced out unfairly.

Everyone knew the rules. Why fiddle the points limit down?

Plenty of good riders to go round to fill up the gaps according to Mr Godfrey; and I agree with what Stewart Dickson said in Speedway Star, it will be a season when winning League might not be as important as the Sport and getting it back for the public.

My team needs a couple of riders, they say they have at least one lined up and Grobauer for Johannson is already announced months ago.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, snapper said:

Lucky

Hey haven't we all been conned for years anyway?
As I see it there are 90 points in a match- 45 available to each team so surely team building averages should be built on 45 points? If a team is built around anything less than 45 where do the points disappear to?
Can you imagine a similar type of stupid rule being introduced into soccer where they have 11 players but a certain players are allowed to score?

The sport has been diluted down through various rules over the years and we wonder why British Speedway is in a poor way?

Edited by cinderfella
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, snapper said:

I see no credible reason to change any rules for 2021, I thought all the clubs had agreed that. Seems Glasgow arent to happy

https://www.glasgowtigers.org/club-statement-bspa-21/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, screm said:

I see no credible reason to change any rules for 2021, I thought all the clubs had agreed that. Seems Glasgow arent to happy

https://www.glasgowtigers.org/club-statement-bspa-21/

I think Alan Dick's letter puts forward a fair and justified case for retaining the 2020 41pt team building average.
The legal and financial implication could have a detrimental effect on some clubs should they now, after agreeing contracts for 2021 with riders, have to break them.

The tone of several club articles in this week's Star seems to be discussing the best way forward for those clubs that may have to change their intended 1-7s due to rider (un)availability - due to Polish regs, visas, Brexit regs or whatever.  There is even suggestions about going for 6 man teams if necessary?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Hmmm can of worms, can see Glasgow’s point of view ....Poland and visa issues, British speedway stick to 41 points otherwise might as well just go junior racing

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some teams might need changes ,but is their any justification for changing points limit.Personally I don’t think so.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Hey haven't we all been conned for years anyway?
As I see it there are 90 points in a match- 45 available to each team so surely team building averages should be built on 45 points? If a team is built around anything less than 45 where do the points disappear to?
Can you imagine a similar type of stupid rule being introduced into soccer where they have 11 players but a certain players are allowed to score?

The sport has been diluted down through various rules over the years and we wonder why British Speedway is in a poor way?

Ahhhh this arguement about the 45 point average always gets me! If ‘rider averages’ were calculated purely on average points scored, then there would be some legs in that arguement. Because rider CMA are calculated using points X rides / 4 - when you take into account heat 15 and riders taking 5 rides, it’ll work out that the total team points based on that calculation should be about 42.00-42.50. Years ago back in 2002 it was 45.00 including bonus points which is about right. 

Lowering the team total CMA year on year just weakens and weakens the product year after year. The strength of the second division is nothing compared to what it was, probably even 10 years ago let alone even further beyond that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

The tone of several club articles in this week's Star seems to be discussing the best way forward for those clubs that may have to change their intended 1-7s due to rider (un)availability - due to Polish regs, visas or whatever.  There is even suggestions about going for 6 man teams if necessary?!

I can see the logic behind 6 man teams if rider availability is an issue, but not a cost saving measure. I have this arguement year on year that weakening the product will continue to reduce costs but continue to reduce the income too as more and more people give up on the sport as a result.

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

Lowering the team total CMA year on year just weakens and weakens the product year after year. The strength of the second division is nothing compared to what it was, probably even 10 years ago let alone even further beyond that.

I would strongly disagree with that comment have a look at the teams in 2010 and there is far more experienced riders in the Championship now.

Edited by GWC
  • Like 1