British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, GWC said:

I would strongly disagree with that comment have a look at the teams in 2010 and there is far more experienced riders in the Championship now.

I didn’t say anything about how much experience they have - I said the quality. Every year the points limit gets lowered it weakens the teams from the previous year. That is a fact proven by maths.

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

The product is the racing not the names

Correct - which the top riders will provide better racing than lower standard. They are more skilful and much more likely to carry off certain rides. Bartosz Zmarzlik for example is not only the best in the world but he’s the most entertaining too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Hmmm can of worms, can see Glasgow’s point of view ....Poland and visa issues, British speedway stick to 41 points otherwise might as well just go junior racing

glasgow or any other championship team don't need to bother about the polish rule it only applies to extraliga riders and no one from that league is going to ride in the championship !!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

glasgow or any other championship team don't need to bother about the polish rule it only applies to extraliga riders and no one from that league is going to ride in the championship !!

I do understand that, but it’s a bit of a knock on effect isn’t it. A rider in the premiership may not be able to ride over here anymore, so someone currently in the championship may move up and potentially drop their championship team, so I would say Glasgow do need to worry about it 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I didn’t say anything about how much experience they have - I said the quality. Every year the points limit gets lowered it weakens the teams from the previous year. That is a fact proven by maths.

Correct - which the top riders will provide better racing than lower standard. They are more skilful and much more likely to carry off certain rides. Bartosz Zmarzlik for example is not only the best in the world but he’s the most entertaining too.

Danny Ayres provided plenty of entertainment for a fraction of the cost

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

But the riders in the Premier League not returning, will need to be replaced by current Championship riders, who will need to be replaced by National League riders.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

But the riders in the Premier League not returning, will need to be replaced by current Championship riders, who will need to be replaced by National League riders.

Most in the CL are doubling up already, and I would have thought those that aren't would do the PL in addition rather than instead of the CL.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Most in the CL are doubling up already, and I would have thought those that aren't would do the PL in addition rather than instead of the CL.

But probably there will still be a shortage .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

It also does effect Championship sides potentially - rides in the 1st and 2nd division in the Polish league can only ride in 3 leagues. It’s still unsure how that could effect the likes of Riss, Becker and Masters to name just three. Does the Premiership and Chanpionship count as two leagues potentially ruling them out of the Swedish league (and any others)?

As others have already eluded to, it is a knock on effect in that Pedersen, Lambert, Iversen, Tungate etc all need replacing and it will likely be they come from the Championship.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

But probably there will still be a shortage .

Undoubtedly. I think the best hope is that the Home Office simply have too much on their plate and don't get round to bringing in new rules for 2021 and just say 'carry on for another season and we'll sort it out next year'

• Haha 1

Whatever happens hopefully we will get a 2021 season. News on vaccine is hopeful.

Be nice to get some official confirmation of what the promoters intend. Last year the outcome of AGM announced on 15 November. 

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

Whatever happens hopefully we will get a 2021 season. News on vaccine is hopeful.

Be nice to get some official confirmation of what the promoters intend. Last year the outcome of AGM announced on 15 November. 

Promoters have officially stated that they all aim for an Easter weekend start to the 2021 season.

Incidentally with regard to rider availability Adam Ellis is a case in point - he has a team place in Poland, Sweden and Swindon so is unlikely to be available for Poole, even though its his closest track to his UK base!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

As the teams get weakened by lower  points limits, it becomes more important in most cases who the number six and seven riders are, as they often seem to win/lose meetings, but is this seeing a quality product, or a mathematically manoeuvred one. Remember when Wednesday was Speedway night, now you can go a month without a home meeting, and you then have to find something else to do, and gradually get used to not going to Speedway, so sad but a fact.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 12:14 PM, screm said:

I see no credible reason to change any rules for 2021, I thought all the clubs had agreed that. Seems Glasgow aren't to happy

https://www.glasgowtigers.org/club-statement-bspa-21/

Wow and I mean WOW!!!

Talk about airing your dirty washing in public... so where I was guessing before at a build limit of 38/39 it looks like this option is being discussed and the limit will be 38.5 if other clubs get their way and all clubs will be looking to lose at least one rider from their chosen 2020 septet if the new build limit is enforced... Alan Dick does to a certain extent have a point however there are some very extenuating circumstances to be considered here with Brexit, Poland and now to a lesser extent Covid and not least 11 other clubs in the Championship and another 7 in the Premiership...

I could pull apart some of his arguments with counter arguments but there would be little value in that and I do sympathise with some of the points he has put forward; but I think as he himself has stated everyone should have held off and waited until after Brexit and the Poland issue's were sorted and him included with this press release... It smacks to me (and I may be totally wide of the mark) that Glasgow may have jumped the gun and paid riders sign on fees that they will now struggle to recover and obviously if changes are now forced upon them they may wish to take the team in a totally different direction and cut more than one rider to restructure their team; but of course this could potentially cost more in lost sign on fees and the paying of new ones...

Interesting times and I think there will be ramifications from this press release as it isn't the way the BSPL tend to operate... i.e. in the public domain; so to speak... I would love to be a fly on the wall at the next BSPL meeting as his press release will certainly generate debate that's for sure...

Finally as everyone (including Alan Dick) is of the opinion that the "product is being diluted" why don't Glasgow take their team up a league which would strengthen the rider pool for the teams left in the championship or possibly make an opening for Plymouth to come back into the league?... I have said for a long time Glasgow have the support; the stadium and the financial clout to compete with the so called big boys in the Premiership... Sheffield have taken the risk and unless you try you will never know; it may be more financially rewarding than where they are now...

Regards
THJ

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Wow and I mean WOW!!!

Talk about airing your dirty washing in public... so where I was guessing before at a build limit of 38/39 it looks like this option is being discussed and the limit will be 38.5 if other clubs get their way and all clubs will be looking to lose at least one rider from their chosen 2020 septet if the new build limit is enforced... Alan Dick does to a certain extent have a point however there are some very extenuating circumstances to be considered here with Brexit, Poland and now to a lesser extent Covid and not least 11 other clubs in the Championship and another 7 in the Premiership...

I could pull apart some of his arguments with counter arguments but there would be little value in that and I do sympathise with some of the points he has put forward; but I think as he himself has stated everyone should have held off and waited until after Brexit and the Poland issue's were sorted and him included with this press release... It smacks to me (and I may be totally wide of the mark) that Glasgow may have jumped the gun and paid riders sign on fees that they will now struggle to recover and obviously if changes are now forced upon them they may wish to take the team in a totally different direction and cut more than one rider to restructure their team; but of course this could potentially cost more in lost sign on fees and the paying of new ones...

Interesting times and I think there will be ramifications from this press release as it isn't the way the BSPL tend to operate... i.e. in the public domain; so to speak... I would love to be a fly on the wall at the next BSPL meeting as his press release will certainly generate debate that's for sure...

Finally as everyone (including Alan Dick) is of the opinion that the "product is being diluted" why don't Glasgow take their team up a league which would strengthen the rider pool for the teams left in the championship or possibly make an opening for Plymouth to come back into the league?... I have said for a long time Glasgow have the support; the stadium and the financial clout to compete with the so called big boys in the Premiership... Sheffield have taken the risk and unless you try you will never know; it may be more financially rewarding than where they are now...

Regards
THJ

It was only a few years ago that Glasgow were not getting enough fans (current  promotion) also the distance to other teams in the top division is too great at least now they attract fans from Edinburgh , Berwick , Newcastle , Redcar and Workington .

I totally get what Glasgow are saying but they might find the majority of clubs against them 

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

It was only a few years ago that Glasgow were not getting enough fans (current  promotion) also the distance to other teams in the top division is too great at least now they attract fans from Edinburgh , Berwick , Newcastle , Redcar and Workington .

I totally get what Glasgow are saying but they might find the majority of clubs against them 

Agree with what you are saying to a certain extent however without trying it's only guess work really... 

The rewards are higher in the top league and surely the crowds would be bigger... what are the crowds like now? 6/800 possibly? With better racing could they double that and with a couple of quid on the entry fee? Its not beyond the reach of a club as big as Glasgow are now...

I honestly don't think it should be totally dismissed out of hand as they are losing fortunes (or subsidising lots whatever your take is) on providing the current level of racing... it wouldn't cost much more to make the jump up and the returns would be a lot greater... no sign on fees it the top league...

If it was me I would give it a go... how many teams have went up one year then came back down the next...

Just a thought

Regards 

THJ 

• Haha 1