British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

It was only a few years ago that Glasgow were not getting enough fans (current  promotion) also the distance to other teams in the top division is too great at least now they attract fans from Edinburgh , Berwick , Newcastle , Redcar and Workington .

I totally get what Glasgow are saying but they might find the majority of clubs against them 

They might find the clubs that are against them are;

1 in a position of "influence" within the BSP

2 Bleeding out of the backside on a perpetual basis but won't consider the lower league

I won't praise Glasgow's extravagance over recent years but their point based on minuted General Council Meetings is totally valid, anyone for Coventry and Peterborough v BSPA as an interval attraction?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Agree with what you are saying to a certain extent however without trying it's only guess work really... 

The rewards are higher in the top league and surely the crowds would be bigger... what are the crowds like now? 6/800 possibly? With better racing could they double that and with a couple of quid on the entry fee? Its not beyond the reach of a club as big as Glasgow are now...

I honestly don't think it should be totally dismissed out of hand as they are losing fortunes (or subsidising lots whatever your take is) on providing the current level of racing... it wouldn't cost much more to make the jump up and the returns would be a lot greater... no sign on fees it the top league...

If it was me I would give it a go... how many teams have went up one year then came back down the next...

Just a thought

Regards 

THJ 

It would throw a spanner in the works if they did..

The TV money would be stretched in the top league for a kick off, which probably stops the idea in its tracks right there.. 

Add in the lack of potential heat leaders from overseas due to Brexit and Polabd and that too will stop another team moving up I would think, especially a team who could out pay some of the more established teams for the talent that is available.. 

If any team could do it though I would suggest Glasgow is the one, and the owners do seem to be very driven, and dont look like the kind of people who will accept others impacting their business negatively..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikebv said:

It would throw a spanner in the works if they did..

The TV money would be stretched in the top league for a kick off, which probably stops the idea in its tracks right there.. 

Add in the lack of potential heat leaders from overseas due to Brexit and Poland and that too will stop another team moving up I would think, especially a team who could out pay some of the more established teams for the talent that is available.. 

If any team could do it though I would suggest Glasgow is the one, and the owners do seem to be very driven, and don't look like the kind of people who will accept others impacting their business negatively..

Honestly

I don't think throwing a spanner into the works would worry Glasgow much to be fair if history is anything to go by...

What will the TV monies amount to 80k (ish) a club maybe? so it would mean 70k per club for an 8 team league... doable?...

Glasgow up and Mildenhall IOW and Plymouth come into the Championship so 8 in one league and 14 in the other?

The riders will be whoever can be obtained and like in the good old (or bad old) days maybe one 8 point average rider per team in the Premiership (Share things out)…

However here is a prediction for you GLASGOW WILL GET THERE OWN WAY... THE POINTS LIMIT WILL STAY AT 41 POINTS AND GLASGOW WILL KEEP THE EXACT SAME TEAM THEY SELECTED FOR 2020; stuff anyone else... and I wish I could predict the lottery numbers as easy...

Regards

THJ

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I don't think throwing a spanner into the works would worry Glasgow much to be fair if history is anything to go by...

What will the TV monies amount to 80k (ish) a club maybe? so it would mean 70k per club for an 8 team league... doable?...

Glasgow up and Mildenhall IOW and Plymouth come into the Championship so 8 in one league and 14 in the other?

The riders will be whoever can be obtained and like in the good old (or bad old) days maybe one 8 point average rider per team in the Premiership (Share things out)…

However here is a prediction for you GLASGOW WILL GET THERE OWN WAY... THE POINTS LIMIT WILL STAY AT 41 POINTS AND GLASGOW WILL KEEP THE EXACT SAME TEAM THEY SELECTED FOR 2020; stuff anyone else... and I wish I could predict the lottery numbers as easy...

Regards

THJ

Why should Glasgow be forced into changing their team just because 2 or 3 other teams ( including my local side Newcastle) have an issue ?

Rules were agreed and riders signed accordingly. The situation was then rubber stamped that the same teams could be carried forward to 2021 but now a minority aren’t happy and want the  rules changing, well that’s just WRONG!
Im no great fan of Glasgow but they do run it like a business , unlike most other clubs, and I feel they are quite right to stand their ground. Whilst they may have gone against the mafia in making their feelings public, good on them for  letting their fans know what is going on.

Glasgow won’t go up because of the fixed race night. 

The last TV deal netted each premiership club 50k, championship teams got peanuts.

As for premiership teams not paying signing on fees THJ?  Get real!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Why should Glasgow be forced into changing their team just because 2 or 3 other teams ( including my local side Newcastle) have an issue ?

Rules were agreed and riders signed accordingly. The situation was then rubber stamped that the same teams could be carried forward to 2021 but now a minority aren’t happy and want the  rules changing, well that’s just WRONG!
Im no great fan of Glasgow but they do run it like a business , unlike most other clubs, and I feel they are quite right to stand their ground. Whilst they may have gone against the mafia in making their feelings public, good on them for  letting their fans know what is going on.

The last TV deal netted each premiership club 50k, championship teams got peanuts.

because no one had the foresight to see what effect Brexit work restrictions would have, even though its been coming for 4 years and no one knew that Poland would start being sh@thouses.

And I think you'll find it'll be more than 2/3 teams eventually. But I'm alright Jack.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Honestly

I don't know why I am dignifying this with a reply but never mind here goes...

Where are the other clubs going to get riders from there is a dearth of them at present and it is more than 2 or 3 teams impacted… Further more there are more than just 4 teams in the league and everyone's point should be listened to IMHO... many who post on here hate "doubling up" with a passion so to share rides out the only feasible option is to reduce the build level... We have had the argument before "what's the point of screwing over other clubs to the extent where they run weakened sides" clubs in the past have been fined for running a weakened team... I for one would just give Glasgow all the trophies now rather than run a season with them... sort it out from the start as this happens each year and its becoming a bit of a joke now...

As I am typing ch958 has posted a valid response 

2 minutes ago, ch958 said:

because no one had the foresight to see what effect Brexit work restrictions would have, even though its been coming for 4 years and no one knew that Poland would start being sh@thouses.

And I think you'll find it'll be more than 2/3 teams eventually. But I'm alright Jack.

Glasgow won’t go up because of the fixed race night!!! Think you will find Glasgow will do what's best for Glasgow regardless of whenever the race night is.

The last TV deal netted each premiership club 50k, championship teams got peanuts!!! So what's your point? its what this TV deal worth now you clown 8 clubs can chare 350k just as easy as 7 clubs can? if that's the number you want to work to?

As for premiership teams not paying signing on fees THJ?  Get real! Oh well when the "balloon" you "spanner" for makes the Premiership lets see how much he gets offered; oh hang on a minute that wont ever happen will it... all of the riders I have sponsored over the last 15 years have all told me they don't get sign on feeds in the top league!!! are you saying all of these guys are lying... and it has been expressed on here for years that this is the case for your reasonable British rider.. (Pederson Lindgren and maybe some of the top European; Australians and/or GP riders possibly/probably)… but riders doubling up between the leagues it just doesn't happen... what a numb nut...

Regards
THJ

Given the perceived shortage of riders,and the farce of many riders “ doubling up as well as guesting” would one league not be the sensible answer for the sport in GB promoting the the young talent into the league. Revamp and start again is the answer IMO.

• Like 6

Without covid the 2020 season would have been run and the AGM would have set a new and appropriate limit for 2021 in the full knowledge of current conditions.

To suggest the 2020 limit is sacrosanct is to ignore the real world.

I would like to aim to keep the limit at 41, but it is simply beginning to look not practicable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I don't know why I am dignifying this with a reply but never mind here goes...

Where are the other clubs going to get riders from there is a dearth of them at present and it is more than 2 or 3 teams impacted… Further more there are more than just 4 teams in the league and everyone's point should be listened to IMHO... many who post on here hate "doubling up" with a passion so to share rides out the only feasible option is to reduce the build level... We have had the argument before "what's the point of screwing over other clubs to the extent where they run weakened sides" clubs in the past have been fined for running a weakened team... I for one would just give Glasgow all the trophies now rather than run a season with them... sort it out from the start as this happens each year and its becoming a bit of a joke now...

As I am typing ch958 has posted a valid response 

Glasgow won’t go up because of the fixed race night!!! Think you will find Glasgow will do what's best for Glasgow regardless of whenever the race night is.

The last TV deal netted each premiership club 50k, championship teams got peanuts!!! So what's your point? its what this TV deal worth now you clown 8 clubs can chare 350k just as easy as 7 clubs can? if that's the number you want to work to?

As for premiership teams not paying signing on fees THJ?  Get real! Oh well when the "balloon" you "spanner" for makes the Premiership lets see how much he gets offered; oh hang on a minute that wont ever happen will it... all of the riders I have sponsored over the last 15 years have all told me they don't get sign on feeds in the top league!!! are you saying all of these guys are lying... and it has been expressed on here for years that this is the case for your reasonable British rider.. (Pederson Lindgren and maybe some of the top European; Australians and/or GP riders possibly/probably)… but riders doubling up between the leagues it just doesn't happen... what a numb nut...

Regards
THJ

I’ll forgive you the name calling as I know you have Tourette’s  when your ranting but it might stop me buying you a bovril next time I see you.

Shortage of riders? Then how come Godfrey has 16 riders he wants to see employed?

Give Glasgow the trophies?....they’ve won bugger all lately.

Glasgow doing what they want ? ...yes, running on a Friday so won’t move up.

TV money...who cares who gets what in the premiership but you were talking incorrect figures....just like no signing on fees...every rider in the two sides I sponsored riders in , in 2019 got a signing on fee, and I do know how much , and it’s been done in all premiership teams so yes, you've been told more tales.

Keep spouting your tales THJ , your good for a few more rants yet. 

• Like 2

Not sure where you get your facts from THJ but I can assure you, riders in the Premiership team I assisted at got a sign on fee. I should know , I helped negotiate them and some of the fees paid by certain clubs would blow your mind!

Exactly the same when we dropped into the championship just less of a fee.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Not sure where you get your facts from THJ but I can assure you, riders in the Premiership team I assisted at got a sign on fee. I should know , I helped negotiate them and some of the fees paid by certain clubs would blow your mind!

Exactly the same when we dropped into the championship just less of a fee.

I accept some of the big hitters get a sign on fee (and could quote several) as I stated; and not wanting to mention any names but several of the British riders I have sponsored in the past have all said they didn't receive sign on fees in the top league and to be fair I have no reason not to believe them...

Regards 

THJ 

38 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Shortage of riders? Then how come Godfrey has 16 riders he wants to see employed?

Think you will find the 16 riders RG has all have averages under 5... not much cop when you are looking for a 7 plus rider...

Regards 

THJ 

Honestly, must be great to know all the answers and be able to say how other clubs should run their business. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Think you will find the 16 riders RG has all have averages under 5... not much cop when you are looking for a 7 plus rider...

Regards 

THJ 

Unless the points limit drops by 2 points??!!;)

• Haha 1