British Speedway Forum

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2021 at 10:14 PM, poole keith said:

been watching the "big bash"from aus on sky, decent crowds at most matches,16,000 yesterday,no requirement for the crowd to wear masks or socially distance,overseas players in hotel for 2 wks before joining the squad

Seems 3 matches have been moved from Sydney now. Plus I think Brisbane went into lockdown after one woman was found to have the UK variant of Covid !!!

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Seems 3 matches have been moved from Sydney now. Plus I think Brisbane went into lockdown after one woman was found to have the UK variant of Covid !!!

Brisbane on a 3-day lockdown!!?

19 hours ago, iris123 said:

25,000 at this mornings match in perth,varys from state to state,they are relocating a few matches because of the 3 day lockdown

Swindon robins have officially pulled out of 2021 season, ( on their official website) Start of no speedway in UK again, gutted as I am missing it big time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cookiefan said:

Swindon robins have officially pulled out of 2021 season, ( on their official website) Start of no speedway in UK again, gutted as I am missing it big time.

Very specific reasons at Swindon though!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

From reading the press release it would seem that the redevelopment of the Abbey is just as much the reason for with drawing as the restrictions due to the pandemic. Glasgow were first the withdraw from last season, one wonders if there are others who will follow Swindon and withdraw from this season as even with vaccines, lock downs and better weather come the spring any kind of free viewing to a sport like speedway does seem way off at the minute.

35 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Would Poole fancy going back up? what about Glasgow going up to fill the Swindon void? Or both? The class gap between the leagues is closing up drastically... rather than the two leagues being a Premiership and Championship its starting to look more like Championship and Championship Lite...

Depending on how successful the Vaccine works will depend on what happens with the sport; there appears to be a lot of goodwill from the promotions to try and get things up and running and May 1st 2021 would seem a good starting point if the Vaccine Roll Out gets us somewhere near herd immunity; it would allow for behind closed doors Press and Practice sessions to be done in the March and April ready for a start in May but to be fair there are still a number of Ands; Ifs and Buts to conclude before we get a definite "Go" for speedway IMHO

Regards
THJ  

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Would Poole fancy going back up? what about Glasgow going up to fill the Swindon void? Or both? The class gap between the leagues is closing up drastically... rather than the two leagues being a Premiership and Championship its starting to look more like Championship and Championship Lite...

Depending on how successful the Vaccine works will depend on what happens with the sport; there appears to be a lot of goodwill from the promotions to try and get things up and running and May 1st 2021 would seem a good starting point if the Vaccine Roll Out gets us somewhere near herd immunity; it would allow for behind closed doors Press and Practice sessions to be done in the March and April ready for a start in May but to be fair there are still a number of Ands; Ifs and Buts to conclude before we get a definite "Go" for speedway IMHO

Regards
THJ  

Would imagine maybe it'll stay 6 in the Premiership,  and with a short season, maybe easier to arrange a meaningful one with 6 teams anyway and complete it.

Talking of the vaccine have you had yours yet John? If not must be imminent I imagine?

Edited by gazzac
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Would imagine maybe it'll stay 6 in the Premiership,  and with a short season, maybe easier to arranged a meaningful one with 6 teams anyway. 

Talking of the vaccine have you had yours yet John? If not must be imminent I imagine?

Well I never the very cheek of it... I am in Band 8 and I have just been on the https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk web site and based on my profile, there are between 23,170,485 and 26,283,945 people in front of me in the queue for a COVID vaccine across the UK. So you will be one of them Gaz for sure... then it states "Given a vaccination rate of 1,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, I should expect to receive my first dose of vaccine between 22/06/2021 and 14/07/2021. Then I should get my second dose by between 14/09/2021 and 06/10/2021.

However if you play with the figures and up the vaccination rate to 2 million a week my dates tighten to early April as it states "Given a vaccination rate of 2,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your first dose of vaccine between 02/04/2021 and 13/04/2021. You should then get your second dose by between 25/06/2021 and 06/07/2021" So the faster they ramp this vaccination programme up I will be a happy Bunny as it gets me a jab around the Easter rather than June... Got a first time ever flu jab last month as well so I'm covered with that too...

I think the Government are predicting vaccinating about 200,000 people a day to start off with and trying to build on that but when I get the call I will be there in the queue getting my shots and the sooner the better... Starting to hit close to home now and I have had a few friends go down with it and a couple of deaths which are very sad... Those Chinese have a lot to answer for in letting this loose... but never mind try the link and see when you are roughly due...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn

2 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well I never the very cheek of it... I am in Band 8 and I have just been on the https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk web site and based on my profile, there are between 23,170,485 and 26,283,945 people in front of me in the queue for a COVID vaccine across the UK. So you will be one of them Gaz for sure... then it states "Given a vaccination rate of 1,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, I should expect to receive my first dose of vaccine between 22/06/2021 and 14/07/2021. Then I should get my second dose by between 14/09/2021 and 06/10/2021.

However if you play with the figures and up the vaccination rate to 2 million a week my dates tighten to early April as it states "Given a vaccination rate of 2,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your first dose of vaccine between 02/04/2021 and 13/04/2021. You should then get your second dose by between 25/06/2021 and 06/07/2021" So the faster they ramp this vaccination programme up I will be a happy Bunny as it gets me a jab around the Easter rather than June... Got a first time ever flu jab last month as well so I'm covered with that too...

I think the Government are predicting vaccinating about 200,000 people a day to start off with and trying to build on that but when I get the call I will be there in the queue getting my shots and the sooner the better... Starting to hit close to home now and I have had a few friends go down with it and a couple of deaths which are very sad... Those Chinese have a lot to answer for in letting this loose... but never mind try the link and see when you are roughly due...

Regards
THJ

Was going to put a like by your post, but would feel guilty with the death of a  couple of friends. But as always light the touch paper, stand back and get a great reply. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Was going to put a like by your post, but would feel guilty with the death of a  couple of friends. But as always light the touch paper, stand back and get a great reply. 

Part of life mate but it makes it hard to swallow when its avoidable; but I know where you are coming from... No Problems...

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

So any gnashing of teeth or chewing of nails yet... Big countdown to the Zoom BSPL AGM come this Thursday...

Any predictions?

Any more teams dropping out? Team Changes? Team Build Points to stay the same or be lowered? Covid vaccine roll out impacts and will it just delay the start of the season or will it mean no Speedway in 2021 either? Will averages be done away with all together in favour of something else? What will the League structure and competitions structures look like? What competitions will be run; Leagues; Cups; 4TTT; Pairs; Individuals? if any? Will we have another restricted GP with around 6 or 8 venues centred on Poland?

With Swindon now not running that frees up 7 riders but will there be enough riders to go round and what restrictions will travel have on riders and team selections and not just Europe wide but travel in the UK as well with Nicola Sturgeon restricting unnecessary cross border travel between England and Scotland... Currently six teams in the top league and 12 in the championship... will anyone fancy going up for a season but if you consider that's 126 riders are required for 18 teams and if 5 per team in the top league at the minute double up/down that covers 30 of them so 66 riders are required to fill out the rest of the teams and will they allow Plymouth to come into the Championship which will mean another 7 riders required? Then the dreaded work permit situation for riders who are potentially now deemed to be foreigners... and not least Poland and what they are up to...

Wow... Think I have asked this question before but who would be a promoter...

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

So any gnashing of teeth or chewing of nails yet... Big countdown to the Zoom BSPL AGM come this Thursday...

Any predictions?

Any more teams dropping out? Team Changes? Team Build Points to stay the same or be lowered? Covid vaccine roll out impacts and will it just delay the start of the season or will it mean no Speedway in 2021 either? Will averages be done away with all together in favour of something else? What will the League structure and competitions structures look like? What competitions will be run; Leagues; Cups; 4TTT; Pairs; Individuals? if any? Will we have another restricted GP with around 6 or 8 venues centred on Poland?

With Swindon now not running that frees up 7 riders but will there be enough riders to go round and what restrictions will travel have on riders and team selections and not just Europe wide but travel in the UK as well with Nicola Sturgeon restricting unnecessary cross border travel between England and Scotland... Currently six teams in the top league and 12 in the championship... will anyone fancy going up for a season but if you consider that's 126 riders are required for 18 teams and if 5 per team in the top league at the minute double up/down that covers 30 of them so 66 riders are required to fill out the rest of the teams and will they allow Plymouth to come into the Championship which will mean another 7 riders required? Then the dreaded work permit situation for riders who are potentially now deemed to be foreigners... and not least Poland and what they are up to...

Wow... Think I have asked this question before but who would be a promoter...

Regards
THJ

It will take the majority of the promoters most of the day just to work out how the use zoom.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, screm said:

It will take the majority of the promoters most of the day just to work out how the use zoom.

They.ve been doing Zoom meetings every week for a few months now.