British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Best Fact About Your Team

My first year attending speedway (1972) my team's starting line up sadly five are no longer with us.

• Sad 1

On 1/10/2021 at 11:32 AM, steve roberts said:

My first year attending speedway (1972) my team's starting line up sadly five are no longer with us.

Which five have passed on?

30 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Which five have passed on?

Of the "Rebels" starting line-up sadly gone are Garry Middleton (suicide), Svein Kassa (killed on track after leaving Oxford), Oyvind S.Berg, Ken McKinlay and Colin Gooddy who have all died. Only remaining two are Rick Timmo and Norman Strachan. Preben Rosenkilde was brought in as a  replacement for Svein but didn't stay very long. Oxford then began to adopt a youth policy and gave rides to sister club's assets "Mad" Malcolm Ballard (an interview with him would prove interesting!) and Gordon Kennett. Simon's brother Julian Wigg had the occasional ride.

Great days!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Sad 1

Just now, ONTWOMINUTES said:

My childhood teams track shop got a load of jackets made with the name spelt wrong :rofl:

Do tell! :D

40 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I'll give you a clue , it was spelt ending in borough and should of been brough:)

Reminds me of Bridgewater on a lorry instead of Bridgwater.

I therefore think you are referring to Middlesbrough-I fondly recall seeing "The Bears" at Newport with Boocock, Younghusband et al.

Digressing for a moment, the worst spelling mistake for a place name I have seen was at a CD store. It was the CD of the funeral of Princess Diana, and the shelf divide read, "Diana - Princess of Whales"...

I suppose that's what you get when Americans think that Wales is just a part of England...

We have an interesting case of mis-spelling here in Cincinnati. There is a short side road running between two main roads; the sign at one end reads "LippLEman" while sign at the other end claims it is "LippELman"!

Okay, back to speedway...

On 12/11/2020 at 10:48 PM, arnieg said:

Split Waterman was the first former speedway world finalist to race at this track when he competed in the opening stock car meeting at this track.

Where?

On 12/13/2020 at 8:32 AM, RS50 said:

Once needed a race to be re-run because a spectator decided to walk across the track during a race, causing a rider to take avoiding action. 

Where?

1 hour ago, TonyMac said:

Where?

Tilehurst, 3 July 1962 - six years before speedway came to Reading

2 hours ago, TonyMac said:

Where?

Once needed a race to be re-run because a spectator decided to walk across the track during a race, causing a rider to take avoiding action. 

Where?

Owlerton. If memory correct it was Tigers v Newport at 3rd division level. Despite what happened the race did continue, as it was an easy 5 1 to Sheffield. However there was an objection after the race and the referee ordered a re run. Spectator thrown out of the stadium. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2021 at 2:45 AM, chunky said:

Digressing for a moment, the worst spelling mistake for a place name I have seen was at a CD store. It was the CD of the funeral of Princess Diana, and the shelf divide read, "Diana - Princess of Whales"...

I suppose that's what you get when Americans think that Wales is just a part of England...

We have an interesting case of mis-spelling here in Cincinnati. There is a short side road running between two main roads; the sign at one end reads "LippLEman" while sign at the other end claims it is "LippELman"!

Okay, back to speedway...

To me, the worst spelling mistake was (maybe still is) in the pits at Brandon, where the sign proudly proclaimed....

BEE’S

• Like 2
  • Haha 1