British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Best Fact About Your Team

43 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Be interested to know which team/rider you are referring to. Have seen Woffy ride in 3rd tier. 

Ooooh, sir! I know, I know!

Guest compost
2 hours ago, RS50 said:

Be interested to know which team/rider you are referring to. Have seen Woffy ride in 3rd tier. 

1951 World Final.  Look up the reserves.  Kiwi.  Sometimes wrongly listed as a Wimbledon rider (he was a Don's asset on a season loan to us.  He rode for us after the World Final until we shut when he reverted to the Dons and rode in a couple of there end of season challenges so not a Dons rider for the WF).

The difference between this chap and Woffy is that whilst Woffy rode in the 3rd Tier he was no longer riding in it when he reached the World Final (or, in this case, the GP).  The chap I mention rode all season in the 3rd Division National League (except as mentioned above after the 3rd Tier's season was over). 

Edited by compost
Addition

30 minutes ago, compost said:

1951 World Final.  Look up the reserves.  Kiwi.  Sometimes wrongly listed as a Wimbledon rider (he was a Don's asset on a season loan to us.  He rode for us after the World Final until we shut when he reverted to the Dons and rode in a couple of there end of season challenges so not a Dons rider for the WF).

The difference between this chap and Woffy is that whilst Woffy rode in the 3rd Tier he was no longer riding in it when he reached the World Final (or, in this case, the GP).  The chap I mention rode all season in the 3rd Division National League (except as mentioned above after the 3rd Tier's season was over). 

Thanks for the reply. This was long before I was born, so I know nothing about this. Appreciate the explanation. 

"As Long As We Know".

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

League and Cup winners and Our number one was World Champion in 1965.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exeter's steel fence was built from unused air raid shelters. (I think I've got that right?) 

Edited by falcace

12 minutes ago, falcace said:

Exeter's steel fence was built from unused air raid shelters. (I think I've got that right?) 

You're not supposed to name the track - just the fact...

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

Sorry...spoiler alert

Got a feeling that Compost is referring to a southern based team 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, chunky said:

...yes I got that wrong with my original post!

Once needed a race to be re-run because a spectator decided to walk across the track during a race, causing a rider to take avoiding action. 

Guest compost
12 hours ago, prodons said:

Got a feeling that Compost is referring to a southern based team 

Yes indeed but can't say where.

Second best fact about the team is that we had a meeting snowed off in mid-June.  This at a southern venue which rarely sees snow in January (or ever).  The local paper had a picture of it, all gone within 24 hours though.

15 hours ago, tigerowl said:

Next to the Bassets Licorice Allsorts factory, and a bakery.

Loved the smell from that bakery as we approached the turnstiles.

• Like 1