British Speedway Forum

On 12/16/2020 at 6:35 AM, cityrebel said:

I always thought that Rye House was a purpose built designated speedway stadium. That's how Len managed to shunt the cars out of there back in 2000. Wether that carries any weight nowadays is another matter.

It was built for speedway by Mike Broadbank in the late 50’s after being moved from where the go karts are now based.

Pretty sure the whole area including Karts is designated a sports complex but unfortunately not specific to speedway.

3 hours ago, GWC said:

It was built for speedway by Mike Broadbank in the late 50’s after being moved from where the go karts are now based.

Pretty sure the whole area including Karts is designated a sports complex but unfortunately not specific to speedway.

The Rye House track is in its original location. Speedway was kicked out of there in the late 1950's when the dogs moved in from the defunct Hoddesdon greyhound stadium. The Broadbank track was built on the current kart site. When the land was sold off to the karts, the bikes moved back into the stadium. The current smaller circuit was built inside the dog track. I was told all of this by a long time Rye regular, that went to both Rye tracks. I have no reason to doubt his story. 

51 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Rye House track is in its original location. Speedway was kicked out of there in the late 1950's when the dogs moved in from the defunct Hoddesdon greyhound stadium. The Broadbank track was built on the current kart site. When the land was sold off to the karts, the bikes moved back into the stadium. The current smaller circuit was built inside the dog track. I was told all of this by a long time Rye regular, that went to both Rye tracks. I have no reason to doubt his story. 

My father told me that the Broadbanks track was built on the Stock Car track that had been used in the mid 50's but by the time Speedway returned was disused. As a very young fan I stood on the bank and looked at the Broadbanks/old Stock Car track which as we had just started going to the cars as well as bikes I was not happy that there was a disused track . Many years later I would become a flag marshal at the Karts but stopped when the stewards refused to stop a race when a driver was lying in the middle of the track with a broken collarbone. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Yes that’s the correct way round I got it a bit confused! - the following is a short note from a friend who grew up in Hoddesdon at went to Rye in the 1950’s -

“The original track 1935 to 1957 was 440yds, some film of this is on YouTube, some showing Dickie Case. In fact in the early days it was known as Dick Case's Speedway. He also ran the pub next door for a number of years. The new track was the brainchild of Mike Broadbank as was the temporary track from late 1958”

Just an update on the Rye House situation. A mate of mine that lives in nearby Broxbourne popped in to the 'stadium' yeaterday. The speedway circuit has disappeared and the foundations for the new astroturf pitches are being laid. Not good news for those trying to save the track.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Just an update on the Rye House situation. A mate of mine that lives in nearby Broxbourne popped in to the 'stadium' yeaterday. The speedway circuit has disappeared and the foundations for the new astroturf pitches are being laid. Not good news for those trying to save the track.

What a crying shame.

Really enjoyed my visits to Rye House over the years from sunny sundays in the NNL, to King Cinder, then after Oxford closing going 4 or 5 times a year dependent on opposition, football and gigs

• Like 1

My first visit to Rye House was in 1975 (?) World Championship Qualifier...I think Phil Herne won?

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

My first visit to Rye House was in 1975 (?) World Championship Qualifier...I think Phil Herne won?

My first was in 1972 against the Rayleigh Rockets. Gordon Kennett rode for Rye House that day.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post

Just now, cityrebel said:

My first was in 1973 against the Rayleigh Rockets. Gordon Kennett rode for Rye House that day.

I'm intrigued because Gordon was a full time "Rebel" that year?

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'm intrigued because Gordon was a full time "Rebel" that year?

Rye were open licence at the time. Their team was made up from guests and youngsters.

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Rye were open licence at the time. Their team was made up from guests and youngsters.

Thanks for that! :t:

I would urge everyone who reads this thread to please object.  We have lost far too many tracks and can’t afford to lose anymore.  
You never know it could be your local track next

• Like 1