British Speedway Forum

Need to get the numbers of objections up only 45 in at present. 87 in support.

Done

What exactly is the objection about?? 

If I owned a stadium right now I too would be looking at other possible income /selling up options. 

Speedway is dead, let's be real

• Like 1

I have taken this from the Rye House Facebook page......

I have posted here, the Rye House Action group opposition letter to East Herts Council. If any of it applies to you feel free to use it as a template for your objection email...But get emailing folks!
3/20/2563/FUL | Retrospective planning for the removal of speedway track and the formation of grassed football pitches. | Rye House Speedway Track Rye Road Hoddesdon Ware Hertfordshire EN11 0EH
Dear sirs. As chairman of the Rye House action group, I wish to strongly lodge a formal objection to the above proposal-that being Retrospective planning application for the proposed removal of the existing speedway track and the formation of grassed football pitches within the same area within the site.
I will now deal with my objections point by point as laid out in the applicant’s application. –
Paragraph 1. - The applicants purchase of the lease was obtained just before the previous company operators (BMR) had entered into liquidation. The stadium was generally run down and shabby’ due to BMR’s lack of investment but it was far from unusable. The applicant’s unlawful actions have now made it unusable for the purpose of speedway racing. As they claim, - ‘several gymnasium and fitness training facilities have been created and these are extremely successful and popular with those attending….’. However, this is a disingenuous claim as this was in 2020 with all the lockdown implications for Gym’s and fitness centres, I would ask you to inquire with Carter and Baily to put a figure on the claim that they are popular and successful when no persons are allowed to attend.
Paragraph 2. - There was NOT a series of ‘poor’ attendances as the applicant claims, indeed they cannot and have not ever put a figure on these so called ‘poor’ attendances when asked. They are relying on information from the former company BMR who were serial debtors inside and outside of the sport of speedway and indeed have now been made bankrupt due to unpaid bills whilst keeping the attendance income from the speedway. (please see attached photographs showing the stadium full on several occasions). Further to which I can supply sworn statements from four groups or individuals who approached Carter and Bailey ltd to take over the running of the speedway without ever receiving so much as an interview, - this shows that businessmen are interested in the business of speedway racing. Carter and Bailey were never asked to run speedway only act as landlords and take a rent for the stadium thereby negating any risk they might have felt. ‘speedway was not at an end’ it has only been made so be the subsequent actions of Carter and Bailey Ltd in the form of the directors Mr R Musk and Mr K O’Malley.
Paragraph 3. - THIS IS AN UNTRUTH. There are NO speedway users of the ‘current site’ as Mr Musk and Mr OMalley have excluded those very users. How can they then obtain a consensus? I have many times attempted to speak with and written to Mr R Musk without the consideration of a reply to the fact that there is a want and a demand for speedway to remain at Rye House. I have emails from Mr O’Malley vainly attempting to justify his position which my facts thoroughly demolish his argument and I have attached them to this email for your perusal. You will see by Mr O’Malley’s email to me that their ‘public consultation was ONE PERSON! Any identification of the provision of new football pitches was identified because they were in consultation with the actual football club. Furthermore, there have been no complaints about traffic congestion or pollution or noise. The noise is a very strange point to raise as Mr O’Malley and Mr Musk run the go cart track at the site, perhaps someone could ask how the noise nuisance of a Go kart is not the same as the noise from a bike? Speedway noise is a maximum of sixteen minutes per meeting once a week whereas the noise of the Go karts goes on for hours All WEEK. Once again, this is a smokescreen to validate their egregious story and untruths.
A Point of order. -How can the provision of new football pitches provide, as they claim ‘sport for all ages’ if the football pitches are for a Youth football club, - which stops at age 18? I believe this to be an unfair claim and should be dismissed. We also note that this so-called letter of support is both unsigned and undated and should also be therefore dismissed. This then leads us to think that it may have been written by someone close to Carter and Bailey perhaps?
Paragraph 4. - Once again, I submit video evidence of the wilful ignoring of EHDC officer’s instruction regarding the UNLAWFULL construction carried out at the site TWICE now. Further to which I (we) have supplied EHDC officer Ms A.DaBell video evidence of construction continuing AFTER the company had been informed to stop and therefore a gross breach of the town and country planning act. I include these emails as proof of my statement and of the fact that I brought this to the attention of EHDC officers. The whole paragraph is an untruth as Mr Musk’s business is housebuilding and therefore, he knows more about the planning process than the average man in the street.
Paragraph 5. - Carter and Bailey Ltd have ACTIVLY refused permission for any other group or person to promote speedway racing at Rye House, which is after all, an established 86-year-old speedway venue which has operated successfully for many years. It has played host to thousands of spectators and staged national and international events. THERFORE, they (carter and bailey ltd) have been the sole contributors to any financial difficulties they may quote as they have refused the revenue that the speedway would make and pay to them in rent. Whilst they claim to have improved facilities at the site NONE of these improvements were to the benefit of the speedway users of the site (for example, although the car park has been paved it can now park LESS cars than before! It shows clearly that Carter and Bailey always planned to exclude the sport from the stadium when they took over 18 months ago and had their own agenda.
Paragraph 6. - I refer you to my answer to paragraph 4 and I ask that if the applicant was Extremely concerned’ to be found to be in breach of planning law why then, after being informed of such did, he (They) carry on with unauthorised and unlawful works Video evidence supplied. This displays a complete contempt for the whole planning process and is clearly an attempt to circumnavigate the town and Country Planning Act.
Paragraph 7. - We are disturbed as a group to find that the issue has been predisposed by EHDC as in the statement...'Following a site meeting (with a member of EHDC) It was agreed that the proposed changes were likely to be approved’ If any EHDC officer has uttered this statement it would be a serious breach of planning law as this then calls into question the impartiality of the planning committee.
The proposal, -
We, (given the opportunity) have demonstrated the want and the need and the expertise for speedway racing to resume at Rye House speedway stadium. We are not unreasonable and have offered (asked) if not a five a side pitch could not be laid inside the speedway track on the centre green- this discussion point was dismissed out of hand. For that reason, It is only the actions and blunt refusals of the Directors of carter and bailey ltd who, by their actions have caused a situation to arise where there need not to be one.
Summary, -
We ask, - Please do not assume that just because the construction work as occurred you are presented with a fait accompli. Carter and bailey ltd are only the lease holders of the property NOT the freeholder. We have witnessed this company change hands into new ownership FIVE TIMES in the past twenty years therefore showing that ownership is temporary, why then should the latest custodian change what has been in existence for almost ninety years?
Hoddesdon town youth football club admit in their one letter of support that there are ‘alternative’ venues for youth football (within the borough of Broxbourne) It is our contention that any of these existing facilities could be upgraded, yet there is NO ALTENATIVE for the existing Speedway stadium. Therefore, why should one sport (with multiple options) benefit at the expense of another? Lastly the letter of support from Hoddesdon Youth football club clearly states its support for a ‘4G’ football pitch’ whereas the application is for GRASSED football pitches and therefore have many alternative venues to choose from, - as a result this letter cannot count in support as it is not the same thing.
Rye House stadium provides training facilities for youth motorcycling from the age of six years old and upwards, consequently this would be lost if this application is allowed to go ahead against the wishes of the vast majority of the public using this facility.
Along with Hertford Rugby Club who won the Powergen Trophy at Twickenham in 2003 the Rye House Rockets are the only sports club in the EHDC area to win a national title and compete regularly in competition at national level. We wish to bring this to the attention of the Planning committee.
The positive aspects and benefits of Speedway in East Herts are economic as well as sporting. i.e., It brings national attention to the local area, boosts the local economy for example, - Local businesses that profit from Speedway, for example, how much did the rye house pub lose when Speedway stopped? Also, - what about the local people employed at the track? (there were many part-time jobs to be done at a speedway meeting all of whom have lost part or all their income). No amount of gym attendance plus five a side football matches can equal the economic benefit of a 3,000 speedway spectators plus all the competitors and ancillary staff.
Extraordinarily little (if any) of these economic arguments applies to five a side youth football!
It is clear that much of Carter and Bailey’s evidence is anecdotal and fabricated. We as a group have been attempting to bring this matter to EHDC and the Lee valley regional park authority (the property freeholder) for some months now but have yet to be given the consideration of a fair hearing.
We have identified a glaring error in the site plan as submitted with the above application. The building marked ‘H’ Rhythm/dance studio is currently the motorcycle pit area consequently, the application IS INCORRECT. and therefore, the plan must be rejected.
Therefore. -
Due to the plans being incorrect
Due to untruths
Due to the Breaches of planning law
Due to any economic situation being of their own making
We ask that this application is rejected and further to which that the applicant be ordered to return the speedway track and it’s surrounds to its former state.
Attachments, - I now include visual proof of the spectator demand for speedway. (including crowd scenes from the very last season in 2018, pictures 7 and  from screen shots from videos I have compiled. Please note the differing ages of the crowd, from the noticeably young to the more mature age (especially the youngster on his father’s shoulders in the bottom right-hand corner of photograph number 6) plus, as a family sport the TOTAL absence of any police presence.
Addendum, - attached to the planning application is a letter from Carter and Bailey’s planning consultant, Mr David C Williams, headed – Full Letter Re Flood risk. In this letter he clearly states “… there is no recorded major flood event since 1968….” Once again Carter and Bailey ltd and now their planning consultant have their facts wrong. Attached is an article from the trade magazine the ‘Speedway star’ dated May 20th1978 showing the stadium underwater! This may not have involved serious loss of life but when talking about flood risk appertaining to a planning application for Rye House Stadium, they once again have clearly got their facts wrong.

42 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

If I owned a stadium right now I too would be looking at other possible income /selling up options. 

Just do it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

If you believe speedway is dead you've obviously not been to Arlington (Eastbourne Eagles) recently.  Why then are you wasting your time posting on this forum surely your time would be better spent commenting on/participating in things that are of actual interest to you.

Edited by hammer1969
spelling
  • Like 3

Only too happy to support the objection, no speedway is Essex and I doubt we will have again, same with London, got to protect this place, also made mention in my objection that it will affect local businesses, such as in my case Harlow, as they have some stores that are not in my area and I won’t visit them unless I am in the area.

Have objected. E

ric can you simplify the Facebook text - it would help subsequent objectors. And, of course, the best of luck. Hope Rye House and Brandon can return.

17 hours ago, marko said:

Only too happy to support the objection, no speedway is Essex and I doubt we will have again, same with London, got to protect this place, also made mention in my objection that it will affect local businesses, such as in my case Harlow, as they have some stores that are not in my area and I won’t visit them unless I am in the area.

Was on my way down to Kent the other week and stopped off at the Thurrock services was sad to see that Arena is now just a Covid testing station, scandalous!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iainb said:

Was on my way down to Kent the other week and stopped off at the Thurrock services was sad to see that Arena is now just a Covid testing station, scandalous!

The "car park" ?