British Speedway Forum
4thbender

The government’s plan: after “the Great Reset,” Speedway will NEVER return

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

So who thinks we will actually have a domestic season this year ? I have my doubts...

Maybe from about the end of May to end of August ?

5 hours ago, John Scrutton said:
  • Lets go back to Speedway which the casual watcher can understand (and also some supporters)       LETS HAVE

ONLY 3 POINTS For a win   2 for 2nd  1 for third         No B/W    or  TAC subs    in ALL meetings

THE GRAND PRIX      only the 5 rides to count  to the total at the end.

WORLD TEAM CUP    Only the total points scored for each team after the lasft meeting     No  4  3  2   points

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS  only then top scorer      only run-off if 2nd or 3rd  needed.

THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS     who ever finishing top.

FALSE STARTS   ALL BACK TO START    No stopping at pits    (unless an injury etc)

CONCRETE OR TARMAC STARTING AREA    To cut out "gardening"

This will never  happen    `mores the pity.

Re straight back to the start, i saw a video from i think Industry in California, 5 riders 1 lap dash, last rider eliminated, The 4 remaining riders straight round to the start where it continued until 2 left. Winner of the 1 lap dash matchrace picked up $100. Proves you can get riders to go straight back to the start, Also i reckon a nice way to get some easy sponsorship for a 2nd half event, bet theres a lot of one man band operations out there who would think £100 for a bit of advertising in a different way was good value

12 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Re straight back to the start, i saw a video from i think Industry in California, 5 riders 1 lap dash, last rider eliminated, The 4 remaining riders straight round to the start where it continued until 2 left. Winner of the 1 lap dash matchrace picked up $100. Proves you can get riders to go straight back to the start, Also i reckon a nice way to get some easy sponsorship for a 2nd half event, bet theres a lot of one man band operations out there who would think £100 for a bit of advertising in a different way was good value

This was done a number of years ago at Armadale (De'il tak' the hindmost) until the SCB put a block on it. Too dangerous!

Edited by edmon

4 minutes ago, edmon said:

This was done a number of years ago at Armadale (De'il tak' the hindmost) until the SCB put a block on it. Too dangerous!

When Steve Purchase took over Oxford we had proper old fashioned rider of the night 2nd halVES for a few weeks, until the powers that be said NO

3 hours ago, topsoil said:

Impossible to say right now, things can change quickly. Even if it doesn't start on time, there's every chance of a shortened season. 

Lets hope they arrange the play offs for early September at the latest, leaving it any later could prove to be unwise...

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

Lets hope they arrange the play offs for early September at the latest, leaving it any later could prove to be unwise...

Leaving aside any COVID issues, I've always thought that any playoffs or cup finals taking place in mid to late October are a bit of a lottery. Too many times meeting take place on deep, heavy tracks, because preparing tracks at that time of the year are a nightmare unless you get an unseasonable spell of weather.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Leaving aside any COVID issues, I've always thought that any playoffs or cup finals taking place in mid to late October are a bit of a lottery. Too many times meeting take place on deep, heavy tracks, because preparing tracks at that time of the year are a nightmare unless you get an unseasonable spell of weather.

I completely agree with you...

might be worth running how Denmark have planned theirs

10 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

When Steve Purchase took over Oxford we had proper old fashioned rider of the night 2nd halVES for a few weeks, until the powers that be said NO

I thought that was Chris Shears although it was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it was?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I thought that was Chris Shears although it was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it was?

Ah you may be correct Steve, my memory isn't what it was either, i'm probably getting confused with the flying parade lap that Steve Purchase had going for a while

19 hours ago, John Scrutton said:
  • Lets go back to Speedway which the casual watcher can understand (and also some supporters)       LETS HAVE

ONLY 3 POINTS For a win   2 for 2nd  1 for third         No B/W    or  TAC subs    in ALL meetings

WORLD TEAM CUP    Only the total points scored for each team after the lasft meeting     No  4  3  2   points

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS  only then top scorer      only run-off if 2nd or 3rd  needed.

FALSE STARTS   ALL BACK TO START    No stopping at pits    (unless an injury etc)

I'm all for that with the exception of the concrete start which can't work in my opinion. I'd settle for the 2 minute warning being the time to tapes up though so they can garden if they get there early enough.

15 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Ah you may be correct Steve, my memory isn't what it was either, i'm probably getting confused with the flying parade lap that Steve Purchase had going for a while

Yes I remember the 'Flying Lap"...sure it was before the main match?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John Scrutton said:

Agree entirely...the same as in Premier League Football. Team that finishes top are declared champions. Imagine the furore generated if say, Liverpool, finished top but were beaten in a 'Play-Off" to decide who were Champions?

Personally I never had problems with the T/S ruling...okay it would often prove galling but there was no better feeling when the oppostion put out their "Star Man" as a T/S and was beaten by a lesser light...got the terraces buzzing which is what it's all about in my opinion.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Agree entirely...the same as in Premier League Football. Team that finishes top are declared champions. Imagine the furore generated if say, Liverpool, finished top but were beaten in a 'Play-Off" to decide who were Champions?

Personally I never had problems with the T/S ruling...okay it would often prove galling but there was no better feeling when the oppostion put out their "Star Man" as a T/S and was beaten by a lesser light...got the terraces buzzing which is what it's all about in my opinion.

Eveyone used to play at being team manager during the meeting. The sport seemed fun in those days, Prehaps it's just an age thing.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Eveyone used to play at being team manager during the meeting. The sport seemed fun in those days, Prehaps it's just an age thing.

That was part of the joy...trying to guess the Team Manager's next tactical move whether it be R/R, T/C or indeed gate postion. It was all part of the fun!

• Like 1