British Speedway Forum
4thbender

The government’s plan: after “the Great Reset,” Speedway will NEVER return

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I remember the 'Flying Lap"...sure it was before the main match?

Yes all riders came out and rode around to be introduced and then did a flying lap, i remember Andreas Jonsson doing a particularly fast time. I bet Lucifer Sam could tell us all the times etc

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, John Scrutton said:
  • Lets go back to Speedway which the casual watcher can understand (and also some supporters)       LETS HAVE

ONLY 3 POINTS For a win   2 for 2nd  1 for third         No B/W    or  TAC subs    in ALL meetings

THE GRAND PRIX      only the 5 rides to count  to the total at the end.

WORLD TEAM CUP    Only the total points scored for each team after the lasft meeting     No  4  3  2   points

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS  only then top scorer      only run-off if 2nd or 3rd  needed.

THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS     who ever finishing top.

FALSE STARTS   ALL BACK TO START    No stopping at pits    (unless an injury etc)

CONCRETE OR TARMAC STARTING AREA    To cut out "gardening"

This will never  happen    `mores the pity.

Back to the seventies it is then .              speedway was fun to go to,two,too .!

PRESS THAT RESET BUTTON NOW ............

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jenga said:

Back to the seventies it is then .              speedway was fun to go to,two,too .!

PRESS THAT RESET BUTTON NOW ............

Speedway's last "Golden Era" and I was mighty glad to have experienced it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Whilst never being someone stuck in the past, I am sure there is some mileage in some of the 'model' that they had then being transposed over to today..

The pot that all riders share is not as big as it was pro rata in the 70's yet there appears to be many, many more full time professionals than there used to be..

Even when "all was good", and riders could earn some very good money, it was mainly the heat leaders (in the top division only), who were "fully pro" and the rest did it as "well paid sideline" to their usual job, and could make a months salary from their 'proper job' on a good night...

The ultimare irony is by the very way the Promoters have run the sport over the past two decades or so, they have all but devalued their own competitions to pretty much zero kudos status yet, I presume, expect riders to turn up with top 'expensive kit' to compete for these 'prizes' which can only result in higher salary expectations for the riders to meet their costs..

A strange operating model to follow..

• Like 4

On 1/4/2021 at 12:05 PM, mikebv said:

Whilst never being someone stuck in the past, I am sure there is some mileage in some of the 'model' that they had then being transposed over to today..

The pot that all riders share is not as big as it was pro rata in the 70's yet there appears to be many, many more full time professionals than there used to be..

Even when "all was good", and riders could earn some very good money, it was mainly the heat leaders (in the top division only), who were "fully pro" and the rest did it as "well paid sideline" to their usual job, and could make a months salary from their 'proper job' on a good night...

The ultimare irony is by the very way the Promoters have run the sport over the past two decades or so, they have all but devalued their own competitions to pretty much zero kudos status yet, I presume, expect riders to turn up with top 'expensive kit' to compete for these 'prizes' which can only result in higher salary expectations for the riders to meet their costs..

A strange operating model to follow..

In the 70s jobs were two a penny so yes riders could be part time as such, it's not so easy these days I suspect hence they like to be 'pro' riders and why not?  Plus years ago I suspect there were many more Friday/Saturday clubs in the British/Elite/Premiership so again it was easier to hold down a job and race speedway?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trees said:

In the 70s jobs were two a penny so yes riders could be part time as such, it's not so easy these days I suspect hence they like to be 'pro' riders and why not?  Plus years ago I suspect there were many more Friday/Saturday clubs in the British/Elite/Premiership so again it was easier to hold down a job and race speedway?

The advent of the Grand Prix put paid to that particular scenario.

On 1/4/2021 at 8:15 AM, steve roberts said:

1964-1981 was the best time in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

I'd certainly agree with that. Oxford win the last National League to a thrilling Wembley World Final.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, coldace said:

I'd certainly agree with that. Oxford win the last National League to a thrilling Wembley World Final.

With so much wonderful speedway in between.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

I wish I had seen some action during the sixties!

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Now then, enough of that sort of thing Steve... :D

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Now then, enough of that sort of thing Steve... :D

I wish I could see some action now!

• Haha 2

On 1/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, John Scrutton said:
  • Lets go back to Speedway which the casual watcher can understand (and also some supporters)       LETS HAVE

ONLY 3 POINTS For a win   2 for 2nd  1 for third         No B/W    or  TAC subs    in ALL meetings

THE GRAND PRIX      only the 5 rides to count  to the total at the end.

WORLD TEAM CUP    Only the total points scored for each team after the lasft meeting     No  4  3  2   points

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS  only then top scorer      only run-off if 2nd or 3rd  needed.

THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS     who ever finishing top.

FALSE STARTS   ALL BACK TO START    No stopping at pits    (unless an injury etc)

CONCRETE OR TARMAC STARTING AREA    To cut out "gardening"

This will never  happen    `mores the pity.

Nothing wrong with gardening if it within the 2 minutes. No worse than just sitting there waiting for the clock to count down. Why do people have such a problem with "gardening"? I don't get it.

• Like 3

in 2018 , workington were quite happy with ricky wells and his gardening .  wasted time trying to get the perfect furrow and ran out of time . excluded , dear o dear . cost the team the meeting and the chance to win something that year .

Edited by jenga

On 1/6/2021 at 2:17 PM, steve roberts said:

I started going in 69 so the 70’s were very good and following second division saw the rise of many riders who became stars. Supporters got to know riders much better than they do today and didn’t mind losing a rider if they saw him progress to the top league

• Like 1